Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
desmondo said:
I agree. Arsenal are vulnerable right now and we have to take advantage imo. I think if we commit to the game and believe we can score twice we will be a terrible handful for them. I think we have a great chance of getting 3 points at the emirates so I will be dissappointed with a indecisive performance. But I fear that's what might happen.
i have a feeling it will be chelsea a-like match....

i don't think we're going to attck them....

the main aim is to avoid defeat, cos if we lose-we're in trouble

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
CROoney said:

I'm not sure that's the main aim really. Obviously any defeat is bad and to be avoided but given recent experiences I would be less confident if United took the "let's avoid defeat " approach.

The difficulty is that sometimes the best way of avoiding defeat is not to try avoiding defeat but to try and win. This may sound very silly at first but if you think about what has happened to United recently (and other teams) you will see this truth. If we focus on trying not to lose then it may be that we end up losing.

I guess the question really is "how best to avoid defeat?" or "what approach is the most likely to give a good performance and result?" . My take on this is that a good United performance is brought about by a consistent searching for goals and an upbeat attacking tempo (not reckless mind). I disagree with those who think sitting on a 1-0 lead is the best way to go.

·
23,699 Posts
CROoney said:

Are you worried or are you sarcastic? :p

desmondo said:
I'm not sure that's the main aim really. Obviously any defeat is bad and to be avoided but given recent experiences I would be less confident if United took the "let's avoid defeat " approach.

The difficulty is that sometimes the best way of avoiding defeat is not to try avoiding defeat but to try and win. This may sound very silly at first but if you think about what has happened to United recently (and other teams) you will see this truth. If we focus on trying not to lose then it may be that we end up losing.

I guess the question really is "how best to avoid defeat?" or "what approach is the most likely to give a good performance and result?" . My take on this is that a good United performance is brought about by a consistent searching for goals and an upbeat attacking tempo (not reckless mind). I disagree with those who think sitting on a 1-0 lead is the best way to go.
Agree wholeheartedly (again).

How else can we be truly positive and show who's boss? Suddenly turning defensive or taking it easy as long as the the solitary lead remains convinces nobody, especially our opponents. On the contrary, it only encourages them like what we witnessed in some games when we should have wrapped up all 3 points.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.