Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Lets face it, United are not an automatic choice anymore for top players, we are offering far too little compared with many other clubs across Europe. This is, I believe, the main reason we have not landed anyone this summer. And, I do not think we will.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Fabregas! There isn't a club, even Chelksi, who could afford him right now. He would cost United or anybobdy else a veritable fortune.

You are like most fans nowadays, looking overseas for every player you want. I am not being critical, but what's wrong with scouting at home?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Monaway said:
I think midfield is fine and that we need more attacking players like Fernando Torres
Sorry to disagree with you but our midfield is a shambles. It only looks better at the moment because Scholes has been playing so well; its a false dawn.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
GO_THE_MIGHTY_REDSS said:
This is true ya, i have to say get ride off all older players, e.g giggs(Getting on now), Neville(His heads not at the right spot), Scholes(Scored a few but someone else if given the chance could do better like maybe joe cole)
OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW!
You are obviously in your early teens and think you are la creme de la creme. But, to my mind, you playing ignorance against stupidity.

True, I was one of those calling for the head of Giggs for a couple of seasons when he failed miserably to achieve moch more than the occasional pass on the field. But, this past season, as with ALL the players, he has been highly instrumental in our getting OUR Trophy back.

You cannot play a team in the Premiership today without experience and knowledge of the game. Leggin' it from one end to the other is not the way. Alan Hansen once said, "you will win nothing with kids" - which we did, but they were playing alongside experience, until they too became experienced.

They had the likes of Mark Hughes, Andre Kanchelskis, Paul Ince and Peter Schmeichel to help them along as well as Roy Keane.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I think the blend you mention can be repeated, we did it in the 50s with the "babes"; then again in the 60's and then Alex did it in the 90s. So I think we can play the kids alongside these "elder statesmen" and remain a top force in England as a result.

By the way, playing ignorance against stupidity was meant as to be ignorant of the past is to be stupid with team selection now. We can all learn from past decisions.

Take yesterday for example, and to go slightly off topic. If Alex could replay the final we would win it because he would not be ignorant of what decisions he made yesterday, but would not be stupid enough to repeat them.

The past can teach us to rule the future.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
As your only 15 you can have no knowledge whatsoever of life before Fergie, you might probably only just remember Cantona. Do not form opinions on what you have been told by others. Believe me the footballers in the 60s were REAL stars and could perform in the most atrocious of conditions and frequently did! Great players in those days were in every team, Bremner at Leeds, Giles at Leeds, Smith at Liverpool, Hughes at Liverpool, Harvey Kendall & Ball at Everton; Charlton, Law, Best, Dunne, Brennan, Best, Morgan and others at Old Trafford, Moore, Hurst at West Ham, Harris and Osgood at Chelsea, Astel at West Brom, so many players, all masters of their trade.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
The reason I brought age into it was to demonstrate that your too young to really know what United life was like pre Fergie. You have grown up knowing only one manager I have seen them all from Busby onwards.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble - but United have only won the European Cup once, May 29th 1968 4-1 against Benfica at Wembley. We then waited until 1999 to win the Champions League.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
To be fair, they are pretty much of the same. Both very good forwards. Berbatov has the edge as I believe he would score 20+ a season in a United shirt. With Ronaldo & Nani supplying the crosses, he cant go wrong!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.