Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say, I'm a little worried with the purchases SAF has made so far. All three are quality, but SAF seems to be buying for a 4-5-1 formation.

It was my observation that Utd frequently struggled when using the 4-5-1. The exception was the Roma game (I believe we started in a 4-5-1, do correct me if I'm wrong).

I would rather see them come out with a 4-4-2 because they obviously create more chances with this formation. I also think they are BETTER defensively when playing the 4-4-2 because their spacing is right and they have more going forward on the counterattack.

Unfortunately, I see SAF going with a Giggs-Scholes-Hargreaves-Carrick-Ronaldo midfield, and I think they will stifle Giggs and Ronaldo in the formation, both of which work better in space.

Also, if you use a 4-5-1, you must have a very strong striker that wins a lot of balls in the air (a la Drogba). Rooney runs in the channels and is okay in the air, but he really doesn't fit that role. A. Smith is our strongest forward but is not quite top class and Rooney means too much to the team to sit.

Then you throw in Nani and Anderson.... more midfielders. SAF has got to move some of these midfielders. I count 10 (11 if you argue that O'shea is a midfielder).

The other possibility is that SAF is just collecting talent and will sell off superfluous pieces once he sees how they gel on the pitch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do agree that we should stick with our winnign formation of 4-4-2...buh i c nothing wrong with a bit of variation form game to game...as it may be needed to break down teams

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
4-4-2 is the winning formation for manu and i am a little worried if they play 4-5-1. but with nani and anderson arriving it seems that the most likely formation will be the 4-5-1 formation

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also agree with you all that 4-4-2 is the winning style and the arrival of Nani and Anderson will not affect the systhem. they are replacements for Goggs and Scholes who are almost tiring off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes i also agree that 4-4-2 formation suits us the most, but i think alex wants to try and go for Europe, obviously thats where the 4-5-1 comes in to it, but with the quality of the players we might just also make 4-5-1 our own, all dependant of on a very capable striker upfront, whom i think alex will get, i think thats why he was interested in Berbatov, who plays very well for Tottenham as a target man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts