Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I don't follow politics closely and I'm not sure how many do.

However, in Alistair Darlings pre-budget report, it was revealed that from 2011, there will be a 45% tax rate for anyone earning over £150,000 a year.

Now, its fair to say footballers earn a lot of money and even with a 45% tax rate they will still be earning an awful lot.

But, will players be willing to stay in this country if 45% of their wages will be going to the Government, when, unless other countries follow suit in a similar fashion (which I doubt) they can go to Spain, Italy, Germany etc where they will receive a potentially much higher amount of money?

(P.S - Hopefully I've understood everything correctly. If I have, this will depend on how other countries are being affected by the global financial crisis, and how they decide to tackle it)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
don't worry about them ! the ticket price's will go up to cover their extra deduction.
players come to this country because we now pay the biggest pre- tax wages and they have got plenty of scams to hide money away unlike the rest of us .

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
They will find a way to get around the raise of tax. I wouldnt worry for them. At first they will complain, the players org....and then there'll be a round in the newspapers about boycott or strike or even moving away from PL. Then Ronaldo will have a dream again and we're getting cross with him again. Then he'll get support from English National team players and Frank say he will move to Inter and Terry packs his bags too. Then the parliament will discuss it and in the end the footballers will have less tax then now and the only one losing on such deal is "Joe the plumber".

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
agree they will find some way of getting around this.....some chelsea players already have player not long ago got his contract minus the income tax-which the club agreed to pay on his behalf.....there will be many more like that i'm sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts