Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in '99 we had so much success because of our 4 strikers:
Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer all played their part in that historic season.

Lets fast forward a year to when we get Campbell back...
We will presumably still have Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez so....
Who will become United's all important 4th striker?

Campbell, Manucho or Welbeck?

If you had to pick one from those 3 who would it be and why?

or could all 6 strikers realistically get a look in?

Z

·
0 Posts
Campbell won't get a look in while he's on loan that's for sure :rolleyes:

It's between Manucho and Welbeck at the moment and to be quite honest
I haven't seen enough of either of them to make a proper judgement, especially
Manucho.

I've seen Welbeck put in impressive performances for the youth team but he's
not exactly playing against Premier League standard defenders there. Manucho
enjoyed some good perfoormances in the African Nations Cup, but again the
standard of opposition isn't the best.

Scoring a wonder goal against Stoke will have done welbeck's confidence a world
of good, but it was a relatively easy debut to come on when your team is 3-0 up
and the game is alrady won. Could he have done the same against Chelsea when
we were chasing a goal?

I really can't choose between them, but I'm sure both will get more game time
than Campbell unless he's recalled from his loan which I can't see happening.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
I cannot believe wellbeck is 17! I was checking text the day when he scored and it read something like 'and 17 year old wellbeck' and i was thinking this cannot be right...Because i dont know why but i always considered him to be 19/20 with the way he looks and he had a injury which he was recovering from too right? I also keep hearing of him scoring for the reserves/youth team last year so i guess i just assumed he was older.

I think with age on his side and players 'growing up' or ageing quicker than ever before, i think he may have the best chance simply based on that...and he does seem to score goals.

Campbell looks pretty decent to be fair..., i was suprised in all honesty but if he does stay at united next year, i cannot see it being more than a 4th choice striker with berb/roon/tevez..and them 'x'

But also i couldnt really make a great judgement because like blade, ive honestly not seen enough of them. Manucho looks huge and wellbeck may have alot of talent...

so umm...good question jazz!! :cool:

pz

·
Registered
854 Posts
I like Tevez but personally I would not buy him for the reported transfer fee. he's similar to rooney, looks unhappy and wellbeck and manucho look quite good. rooney, berba, ronaldo, wellbeck, manucho would do for me.

I tink I just can't get too excited about Wellbeck because I feel there is too much competition.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I cant make my mind up about this scenario but I think if Manucho wont be Fergies 4th choice after this season I think we should let him find the luck elsewhere.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
For me I'd like to see Campbell go on loan to Hull next year if they stay up as he needs to play 30 odd games in the Premiership, not a game here and there like he would with us and is with Spurs.

I also think next January Wellbeck should go out on loan to gain more experience. Depending on how well he develops physically over the next year should decide whether its to a Premiership or Championship team IMO.

I think Manucho needs to go out on loan this season, so next season he becomes used to the demands of the Premiership.

So for next season I think Manucho should be our 4th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manucho is struggling to be seen at the moment, I think. He hasn't played much, but I thought he looked cumbersome against Hull and Middlesbrough when brought on. At 25 there have to be questions about his ability to push on into the first team... he'd be blossoming very late. He would definitely be a good candidate to go out on loan, as all the technique should already be there and he just needs minutes to see if it can happen for him.

For now, Welbeck and Campbell look the real bets. Both have a buzz about them, an energy we lack.

Someone above said they can see Tevez not signing... so can I. Times have changed even from '99 and it will be hard to keep so many top players happy. Even around '99, players like Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer weren't turning heads all over Europe like Tevez will.

I can see Rooney, Berbatov, Campbell and Welbeck being the four next year if Campbell's spell at Spurs goes well and Tevez wants to leave/Joorabchian wants too much for him.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
im really hoping manucho can prove himself at utd because i strongly believe we need a bullying striker available for when our usual strikeforce start to struggle ,if manucho can perform at this level and do what he did in the african nations cup he could end up a very important part of the team , only time will tell but he must be given time in the first team to prove himself amongst the best.

·
23,699 Posts
Kellfire said:
Manucho is struggling to be seen at the moment, I think. He hasn't played much, but I thought he looked cumbersome against Hull and Middlesbrough when brought on. At 25 there have to be questions about his ability to push on into the first team... he'd be blossoming very late. He would definitely be a good candidate to go out on loan, as all the technique should already be there and he just needs minutes to see if it can happen for him.

For now, Welbeck and Campbell look the real bets. Both have a buzz about them, an energy we lack.

Someone above said they can see Tevez not signing... so can I. Times have changed even from '99 and it will be hard to keep so many top players happy. Even around '99, players like Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer weren't turning heads all over Europe like Tevez will.

I can see Rooney, Berbatov, Campbell and Welbeck being the four next year if Campbell's spell at Spurs goes well and Tevez wants to leave/Joorabchian wants too much for him.
This is your second post here and another one good sensible one! Where were you all this while? :p

Much agreeable again about your combo of Rooney, Berbatov, Wellbeck and Campbell.

I was pretty impressed by Manucho in the African Cup but I think he NEEDS to go out on loan as he does not look at all comfortable in EPL.... thus far. The loan spell would definitely do him much good and help him to settle in sooner than later. You are probably right about his age too. A slight concern here because he is supposed to be peaking soon but...

I mentioned in another thread about Tevez being too high-profiled too and so realistically for how long would he be contented to sit on the bench?! Who wouldn't want Tevez to be their substitute on the bench but would that be plausible in the long run?! He really looks so unhappy and sad that it is really hard to envisage him staying for another season if the situation remains the same, which looks like it anyway lest there are unwanted injuries to Rooney or Berbatov.

I am optimistic about Wellbeck even though he is just 17. He seems to have the stature of being a great player and certainly does not look overawed.

But I am more excited about Campbell currently out on loan with Spurs, a very clever move and wonderful opportunity to 'baptise' him for top class football. I think he will do very well if he has not already done so. I see it as a headstart for him above Wellbeck.

So long story short, with Manucho remaining the wild card (depending on how he copes with EPL), Rooney and Berbatov backed up by promising Wellbeck (if he manages to resist a loan spell) and Campbell (if he comes back from the loan spell) looks the most likely scenario. Experience and class with youth and promise. If it is good enough for you, it is good enough for me.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Good info/analysis everyone.

A couple of questions:

How tall is Manucho?

...he looked friggin HUGE during his appearance on saturday, but I can't find anything on the net (including our official website?!?) that says how tall he is.

Do spurs really have an option to purchase Campbell?

...I've heard a few times that they do, but can find nothing that can confirm or deny this. I've never heard any commentator mention it though - and if it was true, you'd think they would be talking a lot about it.

Help...

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Wellbeck have a pure skill but he lacks experience am not saying that Manucho got the enough experience but he hace kicked more footballs that Wellbeck have done
plus Manucho is much built to face defenders than Danny

imo both should go on loan but that would leave us only 3 strikers so i would send Wellbeck on loan and keep Manucho

We should have kept Saha so both Manucho and Wellbeck can go on loan

but hes at Merseyside right now playing for free :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manucho is 6'2".

I don't think there is a buy clause in Campbell's loan deal, I think we were adamant no such clause would be included.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Welbeck and manucho, i don't think we'll see campbell again, he will be sold at the end of the season for sure i think. :D Welbeck is quality

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Campbell cos hes been succsessfully scoring in the Prem already on quite regular occasions,Wellbeck/Manucho its gotta be Wellbeck.Considering Manucho is 25...i dont see where this big deal is about him ,and why he hasnt shone through already or gone on loan this season

1 - 20 of 45 Posts