Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ashley Young Is Worth £75m To Aston Villa - O'Neill
Villa's wing wonder is worth three and a half Fernando Torreses, according to MON...

When Aston Villa paid Watford £9 million for Ashley Young two years ago, pundits far and wide questioned their decision to spend so much on a relatively unporven youngster.

Now, the Birmingham club are benifitting hugely from their risky business as the 23-year-old has become one of the most dangerous attackers in the entire Premier League.

Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager, said in the News of the World: “If I thought eventually a player was going to be worth it then I might pay over the odds.

“But I would have preferred to pay £5m for Ashley at the time ... the fact that he's worth 15 times that now is immaterial.â€

Do the math, and that comes to £75 million - a valuation which could be enough to scare off even Real Madrid, who have been heavily linked with Young.

However, when O'Neill added up the numbers, he chuckled and told the press: “Go with it, go with it! But I know if he reads it, he'll be in to see me!â€

Thus, if los Merengues wade in with a €60 million bid at some point in the future, don't expect Villa to snub it outright.

SOURCE: Goal.com

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
yeah right..and with finnancial crisis the only ones that are crazy enough to give such amount of money on young are citeh...that's for sure

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
there's no doubt that young is improving with every game and could easily become a great world talent, but just as easily he could end up down the aaron lennon, kieron dyer road and his career might stall or an injury put pay to him becoming a superstar. hes worth alot but really if anyone buys him they are still buying ' potential' and not the finished article....having said that though i'd still swap him for nani without a second thought

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i agree that he has still got to fill his potential, but £9m looks dead cheap right now.
if he carries on with this form for the rest of the season, and villa get the champions league spot, he will be one of the most important reasons. having said that, villa are built upon a strong team, without many "superstars" and i think that is to martin o'neill's credit. their team is a solid team, who have an open, attacking philosophy, and this is the man who should take over from fergie.

on the subject of how much he's worth, o'neill may say what he likes. i have spoken at length with one of my dad's best mates, a brummy journalist and villa fan. he said he has met randy lerner for a meeting, and that he is really the perfect owner. from the outside, that's how it seems too. you never hear about him proposing transfers, o'neill buys who he wants within reason, and villa rarely hold back. lerner is financially sound, and villa aren't a selling club. if this team gets them to the champions league, who knows how much the players will be worth. i disagree that he would bite your hand off for £25million. young might not be worth that at the moment. indeed, he might never reach that level, but he is integral to villa's hopes at the moment. villa don't need to sell anybody until the prices become ridiculous.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ashley young is quality and will be a world class player, only if he moves to a top club and if aston villa cant get into europe ashley will be looking to expand and show what he is worth in europe. But 75 million is unrealistic. Ashley is worth a lot considering wat he has done for an ok team but for that much he has to prove he can do it in every top game and in europe.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yeah I agree that he is a quality player but 75m for him :eek:
He's worth for 25m;)
And Real Madrid can buy two good player with 75m,including David Villa there;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts