Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odds that Michael Carrick would become a United superstar were always stacked against him, after the club was forced to pay out a massive £18.6 million for him. He was a good player and had shown himself as worthy of attention at Spurs, but was he worth £18.6 million? Never.

Regardless, with Keane gone, United needed to find someone to come in and play alongside Paul Scholes. Whilst the likes of Fletcher and O’Shea were decent enough as squad players, they were no Roy Keane, and if we were to show we were serious about winning the title, we needed to buy someone.

United fans’ ambition was naively high, thinking that we could land Gattuso or Hargreaves after our second place finish. We didn’t have the pulling power we used to have, so Carrick was as good as it would get for United. The press criticised the move, claiming what we already knew, that Carrick wasn’t worth the money we were paying, and questioned whether he was good enough for United.

As the season progressed, Carrick didn’t prove he was worth his price tag, which was inflated because of his nationality rather than anything to do with his ability, but he proved he was worthy of a place in our team. He was far better than anything else we had available to us, and although not setting the World alight, he did a job for us. He was consistently good, never peaking too high or playing too badly, and with him on hand, we won the title. Would we have won the title with Fletcher playing alongside Scholes? I wouldn’t bet on it.

At this point, let me make it clear then, that I am not one of these fans who has slagged Carrick off since his arrival. As long as we are able to acknowledge we had to pay more for him that he is worth, it is a lot easier to accept that he is a good enough player who has done a good enough job for us.

Now with Anderson and Hargreaves in the fold, Carrick has been relegated to the bench, when Anderson and Hargreaves are fit, and rightly so. His place on the bench isn’t really safe, considering when Scholes comes back, Sir Alex Ferguson is going to have some trouble picking our two central midfielders. I can only presume Anderson will be the one left on the bench then, with Carrick biding his time waiting for Scholes to retire, or for he himself to move on to another club.

For the time being, however, with no Scholes, and Hargreaves battling with injury/illness, Carrick has got his place in the midfield back. I was fairly critical of the decision to play Fletcher against West Ham, but now it appears as though he would have been a better option today, as Carrick was shockingly bad.

Everything Carrick could have got wrong, he did. He gave the ball away on practically every occasion he had it in his position. He let players run through him unchallenged, unable to show any kind of fight or determination to win the ball. He didn’t win a header all game, as time and again the keeper booted the ball in to his general direction, only for a Birmingham player to be first to it. I honestly don’t think he could have played worse today if he tried.

The worrying thing however was I can’t really fault Carrick’s commitment, he was trying, but he just couldn’t pull it off. He looked frustrated with himself every single time he gave the ball away, he looked frustrated every time the Birmingham players skipped past him in midfield, but there was nothing he could do about it. If I wasn’t feeling slightly wary of a Birmingham equaliser, I’d have felt sorry for the lad, but as it was, I could not contain my frustration. When the three substitutions were made and Carrick was still left on the field, I couldn’t believe it. Easily the worst performance we’ve seen from a United player this season and we had to endure it for ninety whole minutes!

Carrick looked as though he wanted the ground to swallow him up today, and for much of the game, I wished it would. Maybe he’s still feeling unwell, or maybe it was just a bad day at the office, but he’s going to have to pull his socks up if he wants to even get close to our bench!

I didn't see that match - but I completely believe this guy. In all honesty i can't remember Fletcher has ever had such a disastreous match in which he was giving away possesion and losing 50-50's the whole time . And remember Fletcher costed us nothing and he gets abused ( maybe for the fact he's not English) while Carrcik doesn't get the mockery Veron, Kleberson,Fletcher and even Sheasy have had...
here's the link Carly
http://therepublikofmancunia.com/carrick-waiting-for-ground-to-swallow-him-up/

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Nice article indeed.

I think you're absolutely right and I said this a few months ago.

I have never considered Carrick United quality and no where near as good as Scholes or Gerard or most of the other top midfielders in the league.

The lad is too slow on the ball and is just too slow in general for the pace of a league like the Premiership.

I can't help but wonder if he had not scored those two goals against Roma last season that he wouldn't be at OT right now...

Although "Keano's fan" also pointed out that he is a great squad player, but this season has proved otherwise.

He doesn't seem to be happy being the third choice centre midfielder and now probably the 4th choice with the return of Scholes.

I think now is the time to let this lad go and play first team football for some other club while we will still get something for him, albeit not near as much as the ridiculous price we paid for him.

United as a club have always strived to be the best and that includes buying the best, Carrick was and is nowhere near the best.

We desperately need to find a midfield partnership that will work this season like that of Keane and Ince, one which will compliment each other and dominate the midfield, something which we have not done this season, and remarkably against the weaker teams.......

I don't see a future at United for Carrick with Anderson looking like twice the player he is already, Scholes being twice the player he is , and Hargreaves better and faster and more dogged for the role that the two occupy......

I also think Fletcher should be off loaded as soon as possible, he just isn't United quality and although I admire his work rate, after a performance like that againt West Ham, I just can't bear to see his name on the team sheet anymore.....

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Im not one to slate our own players but we have to be realistic here......
Carrick was shocking against Birmingham, giving the ball away ALL the time.
Even the simple passes were off kilter.

With the emergene of Anderson and Scholes to come back next month I actually dont see a future for Carrick at OT anymore.
He had a very good first season and played his part in United winning the title although he started off slowly.

This season he has been vey poor, although he was injured, which could well be a factor.

Defensively he has improved but is not as good as OH. Anderson seems a quality DM as well.

His passing is his strength normally though yesterday he was appalling.
For me he just doesnt do enough and his performance yesterday just showed me that. For me he is nothing more than a squad player and behind Scholes, OH and Anderson in the pecking order.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i like carrick...hes a good passer and can control midfield but auviously not like keano...but right now he lacks confidence so thats why hes not performing good since the arrival of hargreaves...hope he gets back to his old ways

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
CROoney.....

Is this article from the RoM blog ?

I think it is but not sure.......

If it is you will have to add a clickable link back to Scott's site....

He is OK for us to use the articles.....

But he INSISTS on a link to his place.....

Which is fair enough :)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carlyluvsunited said:
CROoney.....

Is this article from the RoM blog ?

I think it is but not sure.......

If it is you will have to add a clickable link back to Scott's site....

He is OK for us to use the articles.....

But he INSISTS on a link to his place.....

Which is fair enough :)
there i put it .... i copied it from there

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I like Carrick - his passing ability is top drawer and he keeps the ball moving through the centre of midfield, which is essential for our quick, attacking style of play.

He hasn't really got going this season though and he was dreadful against Birmingham. He has had a stop-start season due to injury and rotation of the squad but he needs to start producing quickly with Scholes due back next month.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reddwarf said:
I like Carrick - his passing ability is top drawer and he keeps the ball moving through the centre of midfield, which is essential for our quick, attacking style of play.

He hasn't really got going this season though and he was dreadful against Birmingham. He has had a stop-start season due to injury and rotation of the squad but he needs to start producing quickly with Scholes due back next month.
if you look at it without any prejudice ( sorry for the spelling ) you'll see that Fletcher has got good passing ability and he too keeps the ball flowing...just count the number of his successfull passes...he has got a good precentage

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Carrick simply isnt good enough for united, if spurs do come in with an offer, even if its half of what we paid id snap at it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts