Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
way too many players looking for the "glory of the goal".

It starts with my very fave, CR7, who is, apparently, obsessed with his legacy and it has spread to Rooney, who took an incredible amount of shots when he came in, versus Celtic.

I firmly believe that the above two, as well as Berbatov and now Tevez ( who doesn't want to be forgotten! ) pass up ( no pun intended ) the extra, logical, pass to get on scoresheet...way too many times!

Lot's os skill/talent but, right now, in my opinion, this TEAM could score 1-2 extra golas per game if a more "team like approach " was used!

If my observation is accurate, it's up to the coach to correct it!

Al these guys, likely, have enough peripheral vision to do this, even under pressure ( most of the time ).

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Firstly welcome.
Secondly, I think you have made a valid observation but try telling that to the
strikers. Their main aim is goals at any cost. Usually it works out but sometimes
the greed can cost us, even if we are way out ahead anyway.
Enjoy the forum.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Welcome to MuT

there is a guide how to survive this forum but i can't find it so stick to this rule

stay away from Haggler

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
You have a point and the worst aspect of it is that the player's top agenda is NOT the team.

i also feel terrible for Wayne Rooney who has been so selfless countless of times, giving the ball to players in better positions - especially Ronaldo.

Ronaldo doesn't return the favour too often anymore. I'd say in the 06/07 season Ronaldo did pass the ball to Rooney regularly when Rooney was in a better position, but this changed last season.

Then there's Tevez who almost, just almost, refuses to pass to Ronaldo.

It's highly irritating.

The top agenda for each player should be the team. Yes, strikers have to be selfish, but some of the selfishness is almost unacceptable.

Especially by Ronaldo and Nani.

·
Registered
934 Posts
RedForceRising said:
The top agenda for each player should be the team. Yes, strikers have to be selfish, but some of the selfishness is almost unacceptable.

Especially by Ronaldo and Nani.
Ronaldo is not as selfish anymore...only in games when we
are up by a few goals...eg on the weekend...luck it didnt
costs us.

But Nani is so selfish its annoying. So many times there
are players wide open and he wont pass...just shoot.

Anyway, welcome to the forums mate.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Welcome mate. Of course that ronaldo, tevez berbatov and rooney would want the goals because that's why they're in the squad - to score as many goals as they can. I think that no one is too selfish lately. not even ronaldo.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
trikam patel said:
Welcome Calebvision your not an immigrant are you, because red_lady will be mad, she is PM on here.

trikam...tut tut.....naughty naughty..red lady never gets mad....:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah i have really noticed this problem with nani, i understand the guy wants to score but sumtimes he really should jst pass the damn ball

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am I an immigrant???

red lady said:
trikam...tut tut.....naughty naughty..red lady never gets mad....:)
Sort of!

My dad impreganted my mom in Gloucester, Ma., she went to Portugal for my birth, brought me back to Massachusetts decades ago...and here I am!

I am a hetero Morrissey fan and love the song NATIONAL FRONT DISCO........maybe that will score ( no pun intended ) me some points with Manchester people and Red Lady!!!

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Welcome!

Anyway u make valid points, when rooney came on against celtic, it was annoying to see him on a personal mission to continue his goal everygame mission rather than pass the ball to players like berbatov when they were in better situations.

As for ronaldo being greedy, i disagree, ronaldo has set up rooney on a few occasions already this season and would have been more if the linesman did there job correct on a few occasions. Infact i would say, ronaldo is the most efficient when it comes to trying to creat a chance or trying to score a goal, possibly berbatov now but he is still new, once he gets a few more goals, we'll see if he still wants to create aswell. Its only right that ronaldo is 'selfish' because its his style of play and it benefits the team when he scores goals.

Nani is not selfish imo either, he is young and inexperienced and is not any more selfish than rooney and ronaldo at the stage of there career nani is at now imo.

Tevez hardly ever passed to ronaldo i have noticed when he comes off the bench but when he starts he does a better job!

pz

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great topic. Nani is selfish, full stop. Maybe it'll end up being a good thing if and when he starts finding the net. But right now it's embarassing. He's being greedy and not scoring. That's a bad combination.

I think Rooney and Tevez have every right to be greedy the odd time. Most of the time they'll hit the target, plus their teamwork is incredible.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Only a few weeks ago people were telling Rooney to be more selfish!

I actually think that Nani in the last few games has improved a lot. It seems that maybe when he gets that 'first chance' he tries to hard, so he always tries to go for goal. He doesn't seem to realise that he is far more effective when he does the simple stuff instead of going hollywood. Since the Celtic game he has improved a lot though.

Berbativ and Rooney are fine, Tevez I don't think is selfish, however he does hold on to the ball for a bit too long. I'd like to see him pass with his forst touch more often, but I definately don't think he is selfish.

Ronaldo is Ronaldo. He is selfish, but the difference is he can actually score the times when he dicides not to pass. If you refuse too pass to someone but score - no one says anything.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
jerrakos said:
Ronaldo is not as selfish anymore...only in games when we
are up by a few goals...eg on the weekend...luck it didnt
costs us.

But Nani is so selfish its annoying. So many times there
are players wide open and he wont pass...just shoot.
The problem is that he's not on the training ground he's in an actual football match and, if it only happens once in a while I understand, but almost every match he's going for it even when a team mate is wide open.

That's selfishness, no matter how you package it.

I din't care if you are superman and your team mate is John O'Shea, if you have two defenders closing you down and you have a very minimal probability of scoring, but your team mate has a gaping net to aim for and no defenders on him, you pass.
It is as simple as that.

What does Ronaldo do?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think you have a point in saying a player needs to decide properly wether to shoot or look for a pass. But i think its a sign of confidence to take the responsibility of a shot on. I certainly wouldnt want to deter the likes of rooney ronny and berba from taking a shot on with the form they are all currently in.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
United_OG said:
Welcome!

Anyway u make valid points, when rooney came on against celtic, it was annoying to see him on a personal mission to continue his goal everygame mission rather than pass the ball to players like berbatov when they were in better situations.

As for ronaldo being greedy, i disagree, ronaldo has set up rooney on a few occasions already this season and would have been more if the linesman did there job correct on a few occasions. Infact i would say, ronaldo is the most efficient when it comes to trying to creat a chance or trying to score a goal, possibly berbatov now but he is still new, once he gets a few more goals, we'll see if he still wants to create aswell. Its only right that ronaldo is 'selfish' because its his style of play and it benefits the team when he scores goals.

Nani is not selfish imo either, he is young and inexperienced and is not any more selfish than rooney and ronaldo at the stage of there career nani is at now imo.

Tevez hardly ever passed to ronaldo i have noticed when he comes off the bench but when he starts he does a better job!

pz

I think you're underselling Rooney andover-promoting Ronaldo.

How many chances has Rooney made for Ronaldo, especially last season?

Ronaldo's goals has overshadowed his selfishness and if he hadn't scored as many goals in the last few games a lot of ppl would be tearing into him right now.

The guy still thinks so highly of himself that he finds it difficult to pass the ball to team mates who can aim at an open net.

He fancies his slim chances over a team mate's ability to hit an open goal. I find it highly irritating.

The difference with Nani is that in most situations he has many options, but non of them are clear cut or standing in front of an open goal, so he decides to shoot, but I've seen Ronaldo not pass to Park and Rooney, who had CLEAR CUT chances.

In additiona Tevez seems very reluctant to pass the ball to Ronaldo. Overall, there's just too many indications of ego taking precedence over the team at the moment and I don't like it.

This is not the Man United I know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts