Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These days it is invariably common that a substitution by an opposing team that is leading during injury time will take a huge chunk out of injury time and sometimes even leads to the departing player being booked, the booking is obviously of little detterent. My suggestion is that were the FA or FIFA to implement the rule that if a player was taking an excessive amount of time to leave the field of play then the departing player and the newly introduced player were booked, i feel this would be a suitable punishment and give them a real incentive to get on with the game. I understand this isn't one of football's biggest problems, but it can very easily be solved.

Also did anyone see that experiment they were doing in south america where the referee has a can of spray paint and sprays a line in front of an opposition wall and anyone that crosses the line is booked for encroaching, so no more creeping forward, plus the spray disappears (degrades i assume) after a minute or so. It looked really good and was wondering if any of the forum members could tell me more.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
These days it is invariably common that a substitution by an opposing team that is leading during injury time will take a huge chunk out of injury time and sometimes even leads to the departing player being booked, the booking is obviously of little detterent. My suggestion is that were the FA or FIFA to implement the rule that if a player was taking an excessive amount of time to leave the field of play then the departing player and the newly introduced player were booked, i feel this would be a suitable punishment and give them a real incentive to get on with the game. I understand this isn't one of football's biggest problems, but it can very easily be solved.

Also did anyone see that experiment they were doing in south america where the referee has a can of spray paint and sprays a line in front of an opposition wall and anyone that crosses the line is booked for encroaching, so no more creeping forward, plus the spray disappears (degrades i assume) after a minute or so. It looked really good and was wondering if any of the forum members could tell me more.
i saw the spray paint idea and tv and red about it, it was also used for free kicks the ref draws an exact line the correct distance from the kicker anyone encraches gets booked instantly - was interesting if not a bit gimmicky

Z

·
0 Posts

Disagree with that part strongly. The new player is standing on the touchline waiting for the departing player to leave the field. There's absolutely nothing he can do to speed things up.

I like the spray paint idea, but are we to expect the referee to carry this can of paint around for 90 minutes? I doubt they'll bring it in over here to be honest.

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has a holster for the can on his belt, so its easy, just runs with it at his side, doesn't need a lot of it.

True there is nothing the player is coming on can do, but then the player leaving the field will get off quicker so as not to incur a punishment on his team mate, that was my logic.

Z

·
0 Posts
He has a holster for the can on his belt, so its easy, just runs with it at his side, doesn't need a lot of it.

True there is nothing the player is coming on can do, but then the player leaving the field will get off quicker so as not to incur a punishment on his team mate, that was my logic.
Then you'd eventually come across a situation where the 'offending' player has already been booked once. If you book him for taking too long to leave the field you have to send him off and then the incoming player can no longer enter the game. That would cause uproar.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i can see where your coming from but i believe firmly we should still try and avoid bringing in too many new rules or ideas etc, we don't wanna start going down the route where the game gets messed around with rule changes etc. i think refs on the pitch have enough at their disposal at the moment to deal with all eventualities.......the matter of whether thay actually do so is another debate though

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Indeed. The referee is meant to add 30 seconds on for each substitution.
in the past they were supposed to add the same 30 secs for every goal scored, including the time it take to re-start and the celebration........there are times when this seems to go out the window though

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed. The referee is meant to add 30 seconds on for each substitution.
Meant to but i hardly ever find that injury time is a fair representation of how much time should be added on tbh. The offending player knowing they were on a yellow would be unlikely to time waste, most players being subbed off if they are already booked jog off faster. In my rule change (like the sound of that lol) the sub could still come on but he would be on a yellow, but the player who departed would serve a suspension for being red carded.

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can see where your coming from but i believe firmly we should still try and avoid bringing in too many new rules or ideas etc, we don't wanna start going down the route where the game gets messed around with rule changes etc. i think refs on the pitch have enough at their disposal at the moment to deal with all eventualities.......the matter of whether thay actually do so is another debate though
Yeah i do agree it just annoys me that these rules are needed, i mean i dunno it may always have been like this back in the day and i never saw them because i wasn't alive, but Ste has football ever been conducted so unsportingly since you've started watching it than now? Obviously now its less agressive fouling and such but diving and time wasting??? :(

Also i thought removing the 10 yards for dissent rule was a bad idea, it did seem to work.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
The whole point about substitutions is that they can be made at any time before the final whistle. If a player takes an extraordinary amount of time to leave the field, well - the ref has a watch, use it.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Gary Is God you can't have a situation in football or in any aspect of life where somebody is being punished for somebody else's actions that they have no control over. Its nonsensical and unjust.

I think it would be much more effective if players were just more commonly booked if wasting time when walking off the pitch. They should have to jog unless they are injured, that would produce better results.

I like the idea about the spray paint as well, that could easily be implemented, could easily go into a little holster without too much effort, i did see that at the time. I suppose the only question is is it necessary? Will that lead to the ref carrying around a measuring tape as well to measure the 10 yards perfectly? Could potentially open a can of worms.

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The whole point about substitutions is that they can be made at any time before the final whistle. If a player takes an extraordinary amount of time to leave the field, well - the ref has a watch, use it.
Would be the simplest option :p but just doesn't seem to happen at the moment and i just think it would give some of these people that take days on end to get off the pitch and incentive to jog off.

Z

·
0 Posts
Meant to but i hardly ever find that injury time is a fair representation of how much time should be added on tbh. The offending player knowing they were on a yellow would be unlikely to time waste, most players being subbed off if they are already booked jog off faster. In my rule change (like the sound of that lol) the sub could still come on but he would be on a yellow, but the player who departed would serve a suspension for being red carded.
if the injury time was truly representative of the amount of time the ball was out of play it would be over 10 minutes per game.

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gary Is God you can't have a situation in football or in any aspect of life where somebody is being punished for somebody else's actions that they have no control over. Its nonsensical and unjust.

I think it would be much more effective if players were just more commonly booked if wasting time when walking off the pitch. They should have to jog unless they are injured, that would produce better results.

I like the idea about the spray paint as well, that could easily be implemented, could easily go into a little holster without too much effort, i did see that at the time. I suppose the only question is is it necessary? Will that lead to the ref carrying around a measuring tape as well to measure the 10 yards perfectly? Could potentially open a can of worms.
First bold = HARSH! lol. Just suggesting a solution, it would draw on a team mates sense of duty and responsibility to his team and team mate in not wanting to let them down (similar to the theory on why soldier don't shirk)

Second bold = Totally agree

Third bold = Wouldn't be a terrible idea :p remember that free kick giggs had against porto in injury time at old trafford? If that was ten yards i have the aerial ability of nemanja vidic :p

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if the injury time was truly representative of the amount of time the ball was out of play it would be over 10 minutes per game.
Then thats how long should be added on... the game is meant to be played to the extent they have played 90 minutes of football.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
That is an excellent point. We had a game at OT in the 80s as I recall, and the tv had time keeeprs clocking the ball out of play against length of the match; it was something like 25 minutes OUT of play!

·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is an excellent point. We had a game at OT in the 80s as I recall, and the tv had time keeeprs clocking the ball out of play against length of the match; it was something like 25 minutes OUT of play!
True but out of play and time wasting are very different, not having a go mate.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Then thats how long should be added on... the game is meant to be played to the extent they have played 90 minutes of football.
Lol that would be good for the fans but hell for the players! It takes its tole physically on them enough as it is, imagine if the clock went to 100 minutes every match!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts