Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tribute to possibly the best right back ever - JAVIER "GRANDE" ZANETTI

Has Zanetti Ever Had A Bad Game?
Javier Zanetti is set to reach an incredible milestone against Lecce tonight by making his 600th appearance for Inter. Carlo Garganese pays homage to this legend, and asks a question to every reader: ‘Has Zanetti ever had a bad game?'…
»When Goal.com yesterday published the story that Javier Zanetti was set to play his 600th game for the Nerazzurri, one reader, Acekaz from England wrote: “Without doubt the most consistent player in football history. You just never hear the words ‘Zanetti had a bad game'. Even if Inter play bad he seems to perform. Mr.Consistent.â€

Labelling Zanetti as the most consistent player in football history is a bold statement, but one thing is for certain and that is he is without doubt the most consistent player of his generation. Thirteen years and 599 appearances in an Inter shirt, and it really is hard to think of a bad game that Zanetti has played.

The Nerazzurri may have been the dominant side in Italy for the past couple of years, but prior to this there were many difficult times as Juventus and Milan regularly outperformed their rivals both at home and abroad. Even during these dark days, Zanetti was never anything other than a champion.

Win, lose or draw, Zanetti has never received less than a 6/10. Even during those all too regular European disaster nights, Zanetti has always been able to stand up and look at himself in the mirror. The best example of this was during the Champions League exit to Liverpool last season. While Zlatan Ibrahimovic and co. were busy flopping, Zanetti was a one-man machine, driving forward time-after-time, desperately trying to drag his 10 team-mates by the scruff of the neck.

What is so admirable about Zanetti's Inter career is just how he has managed to be so consistently brilliant for so long.Something similar what Ryan Giggs does for Manchester United. Some players can be at the top of world football for five or six years, a few for seven or eight if they are exceptional, but very few manage a decade or more. To think that at the age of 35 Zanetti is still probably the first name on the Inter team-sheet is testimony to his sustained brilliance. Indeed last year Goal.com named him as Inter's Player of the Season, while he came third in the Serie A race behind Daniele De Rossi and Alessandro Del Piero.

In the 13 years since joining Inter from Banfield, the lowest number of games that Il Trattore has played in one season is 34, while in six campaigns he has featured in 50 or more matches. When at full back, ask yourself if you have ever seen Zanetti tormented by a winger. Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs famously said that Zanetti was the toughest opponent he ever came up against. In fact the only time I can ever remember Zanetti being taken on by his man was for Argentina during the 2002 World Cup when England's Trevor Sinclair, of all people, had a few successful runs down his right-hand side. Sinclair is most certainly the bizarre exception that proves the rule.

You could write a book about Zanetti, so much is there to say about this brilliant player, but the one thing that stands out above all else, even his consistency, are his qualities as a human being. Whether you are an Inter lover or an Inter hater, you cannot help but admire Zanetti for his class, sportsmanship and honour. The way he conducts himself in interviews, respects opponents and referees, even when his team have been hard done by, such as during the Liverpool tie. Just like Milan's Paolo Maldini, who he is comparable to in so many ways, you will not find a person with a bad word to say about him.

one word - RESPECT !!!!

·
Banned
292 Posts
CROoney said:
Has Zanetti Ever Had A Bad Game?
Javier Zanetti is set to reach an incredible milestone against Lecce tonight by making his 600th appearance for Inter. Carlo Garganese pays homage to this legend, and asks a question to every reader: ‘Has Zanetti ever had a bad game?'…
»When Goal.com yesterday published the story that Javier Zanetti was set to play his 600th game for the Nerazzurri, one reader, Acekaz from England wrote: “Without doubt the most consistent player in football history. You just never hear the words ‘Zanetti had a bad game'. Even if Inter play bad he seems to perform. Mr.Consistent.â€

Labelling Zanetti as the most consistent player in football history is a bold statement, but one thing is for certain and that is he is without doubt the most consistent player of his generation. Thirteen years and 599 appearances in an Inter shirt, and it really is hard to think of a bad game that Zanetti has played.

The Nerazzurri may have been the dominant side in Italy for the past couple of years, but prior to this there were many difficult times as Juventus and Milan regularly outperformed their rivals both at home and abroad. Even during these dark days, Zanetti was never anything other than a champion.

Win, lose or draw, Zanetti has never received less than a 6/10. Even during those all too regular European disaster nights, Zanetti has always been able to stand up and look at himself in the mirror. The best example of this was during the Champions League exit to Liverpool last season. While Zlatan Ibrahimovic and co. were busy flopping, Zanetti was a one-man machine, driving forward time-after-time, desperately trying to drag his 10 team-mates by the scruff of the neck.

What is so admirable about Zanetti's Inter career is just how he has managed to be so consistently brilliant for so long.Something similar what Ryan Giggs does for Manchester United. Some players can be at the top of world football for five or six years, a few for seven or eight if they are exceptional, but very few manage a decade or more. To think that at the age of 35 Zanetti is still probably the first name on the Inter team-sheet is testimony to his sustained brilliance. Indeed last year Goal.com named him as Inter's Player of the Season, while he came third in the Serie A race behind Daniele De Rossi and Alessandro Del Piero.

In the 13 years since joining Inter from Banfield, the lowest number of games that Il Trattore has played in one season is 34, while in six campaigns he has featured in 50 or more matches. When at full back, ask yourself if you have ever seen Zanetti tormented by a winger. Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs famously said that Zanetti was the toughest opponent he ever came up against. In fact the only time I can ever remember Zanetti being taken on by his man was for Argentina during the 2002 World Cup when England's Trevor Sinclair, of all people, had a few successful runs down his right-hand side. Sinclair is most certainly the bizarre exception that proves the rule.

You could write a book about Zanetti, so much is there to say about this brilliant player, but the one thing that stands out above all else, even his consistency, are his qualities as a human being. Whether you are an Inter lover or an Inter hater, you cannot help but admire Zanetti for his class, sportsmanship and honour. The way he conducts himself in interviews, respects opponents and referees, even when his team have been hard done by, such as during the Liverpool tie. Just like Milan's Paolo Maldini, who he is comparable to in so many ways, you will not find a person with a bad word to say about him.

one word - RESPECT !!!!
Maybe you have not watched enough Italian football because I have seen occasions where his performance has been shambolic and totally unacceptable, but I agree he has been a decent squad player.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Banana-rama said:
Maybe you have not watched enough Italian football because I have seen occasions where his performance has been shambolic and totally unacceptable, but I agree he has been a decent squad player.
hilarious...and you think you know some stuff about football...squad player my ass...

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
Banana-rama said:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I needed a good laugh Thanks!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
eoininho said:
Like Denis Irwin, never a bad game and very few plaudits!

Impressive record he holds!
I agree and good comparison Eoin.
Zanetti has to go down as one of the best in the business.
Ridiculously consistent and a class act. Good on him.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
great post cro about a great loyal player :)

Zanetti os one of the best right backs ever in both terms of attacking and defending

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I hate writing in threads like these.

Simply because its hard to be able to give enough respect and enough praise to the player/manager in question.

No doubt a sensational player and person.

And like Maldini, Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc, sadly players like Zanetti seem to be a dying breed.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Il Capitano has been the Internatzionale captain since 1999 and is to Interistas what both Cantona and Keane is to United-fans. I heard he have 600+ games for Inter and is still an influencial player for Argentina for whom he played more then 100 caps.

I dont like Serie A or Inter at all but I do apprciate a classy player and Javier is one.

And..Zanetti is just a squad player...the best joke so far along with Ronaldo's pathetic excuse for his summer actions.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Zanetti walks straight into my All-time XI. World Class for both club and country, and a great human being as well.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the only down side to his game are crosses - he can't cross...but that's no flaw when you can dribble your way through all the way from your box to their box...lol....he never seems to kick the ball out - he just dribbles it out...he can be played as a dmf too...and a very good one ...
decent squad player hahaha -i still can't believe it

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A curiosity about Javier Z.....

I've already opened an appreciation thread about him considering he'a yet to have a a bad game but did you know that Javier Zanetti has player 146 successive matches in Serie A for inter

hats' off

he's a legend...

when talking about a team of a decade, HE should be the RB

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this guy is fucking unbelievable....

the last time he saw red card was back in 1999....11 fucking years ago...ever since he came to Inter ( season 95/96 ) he has never had any less than 30 league appearances, and this season he has played every single game for the entire 90 minutes both in domestic league and in Europe

Fascinating physical prepareness and durability for the 37 year old...and what's important to mention is that , unlike some other older players, he still plays on a remarkable level

something like giggs , but the difference is that giggs is used sporadicaly...those players are true living legends...they respect the fair play and they are class

1 - 20 of 48 Posts