Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the only one who feels united should be playing all there matches with atleast one natural wide player.

Giggs looked good before his injury and even though Nani can be annoying, has alot of potential and as fergie puts it...has a goal in him.

Fletcher really does not count as a wide player imo but i think we should be playing with atleast one of Nani/Giggs and Ronaldo in pretty much every match for united because its one of our greatest strenghts imo.

pz

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true but hargo is not a winger, he can play wide right but is different to being a winger and its not his natural position.

Park im not really a fan of (don't rate him) but i agree, he gives us something out wide.

pz

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree that at least one of Giggs Ronaldo or Nani should be on at all times. Without some flair from the wings we are nothing like what we should be. That's how we have played since the start or Fergusons era and I have no idea why he changed that on Saturday. But I am not one to blame Ferguson,, Not after everything he has done.

Z

·
0 Posts
United_OG said:
Am i the only one who feels united should be playing all there matches with atleast one natural wide player.

Giggs looked good before his injury and even though Nani can be annoying, has alot of potential and as fergie puts it...has a goal in him.

Fletcher really does not count as a wide player imo but i think we should be playing with atleast one of Nani/Giggs and Ronaldo in pretty much every match for united because its one of our greatest strenghts imo.

pz
Good post and I agree.

Playing with three centre mids and three strikers goes against everything that United stands for.

For decades we've been famed for our wingers and have always attacked using the width of the pitch as a tool to open up defences. Now if we start playing the formation like we did against Liverpool we'll become a boring team to watch like Chelsea or Liverpool.

I just hope the Liverpool game was a one off and we get back to playing 4-4-2 very soon.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
totally agree..the formation on saturday didnt work ..it is not only obvious you need to use a wide player its also a total waste of talent in regards to giggs and nani in that neither was on the pitch esp given the fact that ron was still out n not match fit every good team needs width on the pitch and players to offer something different to the team that played on saturday.....i

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well man utd game will be different now

VDS
brown rio silva evra

schole andersson
ronaldo nani
rooney
berbatov
tevez

i think its better lol & def dont know who will replace vidic on sunday

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Ritesh MU said:
well man utd game will be different now

VDS
brown rio silva evra

schole andersson
ronaldo nani
rooney
berbatov
tevez

i think its better lol & def dont know who will replace vidic on sunday
I don't think we'll be allowed 12 players! ;) :p

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
manutd004 said:
I don't think we'll be allowed 12 players! :p
That would be sweet though :p
We would kill teams by 7 or 8 goals each time ;)

Anyway, back to reality :rolleyes:
I agree with OG. Wingers are essential to the way we play.
I do have my reservations about them though......
Apart from Ronaldo, I dont believe we have any other World class wingers.
I like Park and Giggs and they can do a job but world class? nah.
Nani isnt there yet and can be so infuriating its not even funny.

I do think this is a worry and it should be the next position we strengthen.
remember Chelsea when they won the 2 leagues? 4 class wingers: Duff, Robben,
Cole and Swp.

Now as much as I said Park, Nani and Giggs can do a job are they really in the
same bracket as these 4? Not even close imo. but thats besides the point.

I like the idea of Hargreaves on the right. He has pace, can track back, pass,
whip in a good ball and cause havoc. Not an out an out winger but I like the
idea of him there with Ronaldo on the left. 2 of Berba/Roo/Tevez up front, and
2 of Scholes/Fletch/Ando/Carrick in the middle.

Park and Nani are more impact players or players to bring on when the oppo is
tiring, as is Giggs who can come on and play controlled football and pick a pass.

Im hoping Nani comes good, cos he could be the key to huge success this year,
but as some of you know, Im very sceptical about him and how he will progress.

Winger rant over.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Good call you, OG, you! :D

Think Blade and I were one of the few on the tactics thread that called for wingers and not let all three strikers play at the same time.

It just gives you more width, speed and penetration.

I hope Nani will develop like we think he can, but I'm bothered about his stature. For me, the physique and skill of Arjen Robben would be ideal. Nani had a better debut season than Malouda and Babel, but looking at his physique, he almost seems to slight for the prem, as if he's boxing above his weight class.

Untill then, I'd play Hargo on the right and Ronaldo on the left.

Hargo might not be a winger, but he's talented enough to play on the right and played well there in the CL final PLUS he delivers a mean cross with either his right or left foot. Tevez scored from a cross with his right against Roma and Ronaldo scored from a cross with his left foot against West Ham.

Rooney/Tevez - Berbatov

Ronaldo - Carrick - Anderson - Hargreaves

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Brown

Foster​

BTW, eventhough Park can play on the right or left, I don't cnsider him a winger, but he sure adds tenacity and he probably would have done better on Saturday than Anderson. I think he isn't fully mtch fit yet after coming back from injury.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i totally agree that utd need to play with wingers or players that hug the touchline ,i have supported utd for over 30 years and mostly when they play without wingers they struggle and at times can look really negative in doing so.
utd should always have 4 wide men in the squad in my opinion to carry us through,and i am a little mystified how we did not buy one in the summer when we knew we were short for the start of season.our best option at the moment is to put park out wide he is a fully commited player who doesn't stop running and also gets into the box alot,i know he can't cross the ball like giggs or nani but he gets involved far more at present.
i hope this week see's the return of our saviour ronaldo , i like many others would have sold him during the soap opera.but utd without him will not win a thing with him we can rule europe ,i hope all us fans realise we must get behind him and try and get him to stay for many years{i don't think he will but we must give it our very best effort}.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
^ It sucks doesn't it?

I too wanted Ronaldo out after his petulance, but without a winger like him we have very little cutting edge.

If he ever goes, we should either switch Nani to the right (if he's improved to what we hope he can) and buy either a good left winger, seeing as Nani is right-footed anyway or keep Nani on the left and get someone like Ashley Young, who is talented, fast and creates many chances for his team mates.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
sadly the truth is if you took ronaldo out of our previous 2 campaigns utd would not have won anything.we need quality wingers at utd,giggs has been the greatest but is now nearly finished.nani's first season was better than ronaldo's first but he is an hot and cold player with a touch of stupidity in him hopefully he will learn quick,there is not really anybody else here with lightning pace who can cross the ball to an high standard at present .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
this is the formation for us, its as simple as that!!!! I dont care how brilliant a manager Fergie is its not fair to play Rooney as a winger!

If he is insistent on it at least have it so he and Tevez can swap every so often so Rooney gets a chance to shine where he belongs...

........................ VDS

Brown ...... Rio ......... Vidic ......... Evra

Hargreaves ... Scholes ... Carrick ...Ronaldo

................Rooney/Tevez

..................Berbatov

Re: Wingers... yes essential in this league!! Ronaldo is the man for the task, in the above formation Hargreaves allows Ronaldo to run free to a degree and allows Rooney or Tevez to play off our main frontman Dimi Berbatov!!!

·
Banned
28 Posts
Winger

Fletcher has proved to be a good winger. However he does drift inside to his natural position. With Ronaldo back on wednesday will give us extra dimension. Lee martin was a briiliant winger in the reserves. Rafael da silva showed his attacking skill in the friendly against juventus and won us a free kick on thbe edge of the area agaisst newcastle. Dont that Evra and Brown both push up to give the wingers support. They are wingers in their own way

·
Registered
736 Posts
Park Ji-Sung can play on the right or on left.....I voted for him to play against Chelsea if Ronaldo isn't fit.......Maybe park to start and ronaldo be on the bench

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
We need to trust Nani and play him for a run of games IMO!!!
I think thats the only way of getting his confidence up!
How is he meant to gain expierence if we dont play him regularly.
I know this guy can make it and anybody who thinks he wont make it doesnt have a clue!
All he needs is a run in th team, him and Ronaldo can rule Europe.
but next season we nees to sign another quality winger as back up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts