Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United and Liverpool are set for a summer tug of war over £20million-rated Spurs star Aaron Lennon.

Liverpool expressed their interest in winger Lennon in January, but United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has now joined in the fray, as he is convinced he will lose both Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez at the end of the season.

With Ryan Giggs nearing the end of his glittering career, Ferguson badly needs back-up and Lennon has been told he can make his dream move to Old Trafford this summer.

Although Spurs will try desperately hard to keep Lennon, the reality is that the player will get his way and looks set to leave White Hart Lane, just as Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Carrick have done in the past two seasons.

Ferguson is aware of Liverpool’s interest, but in a straight fight between the two, Lennon would choose United in order to further his England ambitions and to play under the most decorated manager in the history of the game.

Lennon has started to fully deliver on his enormous potential this season and although he has just signed a two-year extension to his contract, meaning his £50,000-a-week deal ends in 2014, the reality is Spurs would be powerless to keep him if Manchester United or Liverpool can reach their £20m valuation.

Leeds-born Lennon, 22, was snapped up from his home-town team by Spurs five years ago for just £1m and since then he has won 11 full England caps.

He has electrified the Premier League with his pace and, although Lennon is still very much a rough diamond as his crossing and finishing ability is at best modest, Ferguson believes he has the makings of another Ryan Giggs.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy moved heaven and earth to try to keep Berbatov away from Ferguson’s clutches last summer, but eventually a £30m deal between the clubs was agreed.

Levy will be similarly intransigent with Lennon but, again, the player will move if Spurs’ valuation is reached.

Daily Express | Sport | Football

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not too sure about this one. If he could perform consistently like he did in the 1st half against us then he may be a worthwile signing, but for £20m im not sure.

G

·
£20m? Come on! He's a good player, could be a great player if he could improve his decision making and cross the ball consistently well, but he's not worth £20m, no chance.

Besides, it's pure speculation ,there are no quotes in the article from anybody related to Spurs or United. I'd take this with a massive pinch of salt.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
yeah i think i agree with the fact 20 mil is far to extravagant for lennon hes a good player who still lacks thats killer instinct imo

and if ronaldo was to leave i think theres plenty better replacements out there who would maybe fit a 20mil billing.. but lennon isnt one of them

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Hes far better than Nani, and miles better than Ryan Babel, both of whom cost around the same price and have struggled in this league...

Great talent, easily worth 20m

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hes far better than Nani, and miles better than Ryan Babel, both of whom cost around the same price and have struggled in this league...

Great talent, easily worth 20m
Babel cost 20m? In what universe?

He was bought for 11m. I agree than Lennon is miles better (or has at least performed a lot better) than Babel however.

At a club with a manager who didn't emphasize the defensive side of the game so much Babel could be a much better player. I fear that Liverpool will sell him and he will become a great player - it's just that I don't think he'll become that player under Benitez.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
lennons a headless chicken - one good game in every 5 . like dyer for me his only asset is pace . who wants to get raped by the yids again in the transfer market ?

berbatov is a bit of the emporers new clothes if you ask me -- everyone says he is great so he must be great ? but the truth is hes been shocking for the money we spent on him .

Carrick was a good buy in the end , but lennon at 20 mill:rofl:

·
Registered
155 Posts
In some respects he wouldn't be a bad player but then also is he really United standard??? i don't really think so he could be used as backup but then would he be happy with sitting on the bench most weeks??? Probably not.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
And its a wonder why no-one every buy English players. Cost way too much...he's good but not 20 Million good.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
No chance. No quotes from anyone either.
£20M, that's a bit too much anyway. Lennon is never going to be a top player.
I'd prefer to have Nani at the club, honestly.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Realy doubt it will happen. Still the price is a bit too much for his qualities. He's a good player, but IF United is interested i don't think they should pay more than 15 mil euros. At most...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm sorry 20 million pound rated aaron lennon. He's worth 7 or 8 tops and he can't cross to save his life, no thanks stay with the spuds or go to the pool! :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I know Pool are interested so many whispers have been coming out of WHL over the last few days that United are also interested. This is simply a ploy to get more money for him. Quite clever really.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, zuco is right. £20m is far too much for him and there is nothing in the article to suggest even a little bit that we're interested.

As for Lennon, he is a decent player. On his day, he's a very dangerous player. But the problem is that he doesn't perform consistently enough as haggler said and his end product is few and far between. If he could sort those flaws out no doubt he'll be a very good player, but £20m for what he is right now is taking the biscuit and eating it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i would swap nani for lennon in a heartbeat. they say he lacks end poduct but this season shows he can make a killer pass as he did against chelski. his pace on one side with ronaldo's skill on another the full backs will not know what to do..

20 million is just right as he is young as well that can become great

1 - 20 of 27 Posts