Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this article and was visibly stunned beyond words. How can it be possible?! :confused: :eek:

Discuss most profusely please. :rolleyes:

Chelsea will be the highest-rated team in the UEFA rankings when the Champions League draw is made in Monaco on Thursday, despite losing on penalties to Manchester United in last season's final.

On results in Europe over the last five seasons Chelsea are the highest seeds in the UEFA coefficient list while the continued domination of English clubs is underlined by four of the top five seeds coming from the Premier League.

Chelsea are ahead of Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal and United, with Liverpool and Arsenal expected to overcome Standard Liege and FC Twente in this week's third qualifying round second legs.

However, Chelsea cannot come up against Jose Mourinho in the group stage as Inter Milan will also be among the eight top seeds.

But English clubs could face another former Chelsea manager - Claudio Ranieri, now coach at Juventus. There is a potential group of death for the Premier League quartet who could be in a group with Bayern Munich, Juventus and Fenerbahce.

Another familiar face - former Newcastle striker Temuri Ketsbaia, now coach of Anorthosis Famagusta - is on the verge of leading the first Cypriot club to the group stage. They take a 3-0 lead to Greece after a convincing first leg home win over Olympiacos.

Deco, who won Champions League winners' medals with FC Porto and Barcelona, is confident Luiz Felipe Scolari can help him complete a hat-trick of European silverware.

The Chelsea midfielder said: 'He is making us behave like winners. He is a winner and he’s passing us all his experience.
'It is great that there are so many good players at the club, because that is what I am used to.

'The times I have played against Chelsea in the past have always been very hard, so I know that we can win the Champions League."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...y-fulfilled-Chelsea-No-1-Europe.html?ITO=1490

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
They have been consistent in Europe so its about right!!
They are still to win it tho:)
long may that continue

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VaVaVoom said:
They have been consistent in Europe so its about right!!
They are still to win it tho:)
long may that continue
Based on past 5 seasons alone (for crying out loud, they were not even playing CL football before that), I know they have been fairly consistent. But so do Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Barcelona and us. Did I miss out any team? I am just rudely surprised. And they have not even won it before in their entire history.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
i dont think they will go to the semi final this time
i wish we get them in quarter and knock them out to show we man utd rule yesterday today and tomorrow just waiting for man utd to crush them in stamford bridge as it being long now we didnt beat them in their home lol but this year we will come on united

united we stand

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
They should be ranked higher than United they always get to the quarters or semi's while united got knocked out in the first round a couple of years ago

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bleacher report

Roman Abramovich has got his wish! Chelsea are the top side in Europe. Unfortunately for them though, they have no trophy to show for it…

The Champions League draw will be made in Monaco on Thursday, following the final qualifying games on Wednesday. Due to Chelsea's success in the competition over the past five years, they will be named as the top ranking team.

07/08
United: Winners
Chelsea: Final

06/07
United: Semis
Chelsea: Semis

04/05
United: Round of 16

03/04
United: Round of 16

Then again, Croatia are seeded above Brazil and Argentina in World football, so rankings are actually pretty useless.

United of course will be amongst the top eight seeds, meaning we avoid the likes of Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona in the group stages. However, we could find ourselves in the same group as Bayern Munich or Juventus.

43 Posts
Ritesh MU said:
i dont think they will go to the semi final this time
i wish we get them in quarter and knock them out to show we man utd rule yesterday today and tomorrow just waiting for man utd to crush them in stamford bridge as it being long now we didnt beat them in their home lol but this year we will come on united

united we stand
Well I'm not sure MU will go the semis this year ;)

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Zense_United said:
they will never be at that top for sure
zense..never say never....it'll jinx us. i admit i admire peter cech,i think he's fab..
but i just believe in united...hope we do finish top...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts