Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tony Adams has succeeded Harry Redknapp as manager of Portsmouth, BBC Radio Solent understands.

Adams, 42, took charge of the team alongside coach Joe Jordan for Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fulham following Redknapp's departure to Tottenham.

The former Arsenal captain and England captain was named as Redknapp's number two in 2006.

He endured an ill-fated spell in charge of Wycombe and had coaching jobs in the Netherlands with Feyenoord and Utrecht.

Former Bolton and Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and ex-Chelsea manager Avram Grant, who worked as technical director at Fratton Park in 2006, were reportedly among the favourites to take over from Redknapp.

Adams' first match in charge of Portsmouth will be against league leaders Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday.

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie said on Sunday that the south-coast club would take their time in finding a new manager.

Redknapp, who ended his second spell at Portsmouth after three years in charge, has already put in a good word for Adams and Jordan.

"I spoke to Peter about it and said 'you've got Joe and Tony and they are both terrific guys'," stated Redknapp.

606: DEBATE
This is a laughable decision by the board - he was a great player but he is completely unproven as a manager

Craig1000
"Joe is very experienced, Tony is up and coming in the managerial game and works very hard. I don't think either of them would do any harm, for sure."

Storrie insisted there were no financial problems at the club and that decisions would continue to be driven by owner Alexandre Gaydamak.

"In the summer we sold Sulley Muntari for a club record fee and sold Pedro Mendes but used most of that money in bringing in Peter Crouch and Younes Kaboul and a couple of loan players," he added.

"If we were to sell players we would reinvest and bring other players in. We've got a very, very good squad here, a quality side, and when January comes we will approach it then.

"Sacha Gaydamak has owned this club for two-and-a-half years and has continued to put finance into the club to bring in players.

"It will be his decision in January whether he wants to continue that growth and expand."

Meanwhile, Jordan expressed his surprise at the speed of Redknapp's departure, while also wishing him the best.

"It was a bit of a shock I must admit but Harry is a good manager and you expect that good managers will be wanted by big clubs," said Jordan.

"The speed of it has surprised a lot of people and it was a shock to me."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7693323.stm

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Mistake. They should have gone for someone like Venables. Being an ex "mobster" from the east end, he would know how to keep the players in line ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Adams is very inexperienced. I think the only club he has managed is Wycombe and that did not go very well. 'Little Sam' proved at Bolton that promoting from within is not always the best policy. After winning the FA Cup last season and playing in Europe surely they could have attracted a big-name coach to the club.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
^^^^ Very true..... they have a nice first team, won F.A cup and playing in Europe as RedDwarf say's! That would bring in a good manager.
Avran Grant was there before and i think he would have been the better choice

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Very risky appointment. I think they panicked yet again. They did it when Harry went to Southampton a few years back, putting that useless Perrin in charge. I'm sure there's a list of managers willing to manage a team like Pompey; Allardyce, Curbishly...

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I had a feeling that this would happen.

However, I think its the wrong move. Hes very inexperienced, and it seems like a move to just try to save some money.

I think they should have been more ambitious and gone for a more experienced coach. After all, they're a well-established Premier League club, won the FA Cup last year and they are in Europe.

I'm a bit surprised hes been hired so soon, as just yesterday I think it was, they said they would take their time over it.

But, having an experienced coach/assistant like Joe Jordan alongside him (if they can keep him as they seem to be worried about that) might help and, I don't know if they did, but they could have offered him an experienced manager, for example, as a Director of Football to look over everything and offer him advice if he needed it. But the decision would have to be his, if that was to happen as the board appointing a director of football when the manager doesn't want one, or picking someone the manager doesn't want, never works. (Well, in this country at least)

Its a big risk. It may work out though, but it may also go disastrously wrong.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
This was a cert to happen, he can't cost that much in wages.

not sure this will work out very well, specially when all the good players head off

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Not a good choice appointing Adams as their manager, but time will show. A little inexperienced manager, there are better managers on the market. Maybe Allardyce.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Surprised that everyone thinks it's bad. I think he can carry on Harry's plans and I tink he handles himself very well off the pitch. Apparantly he was almost as important as Harry in terms of selection, particularly in defence. Sometimes inexperience can be a good ting. ie Keane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts