21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reds' Agger set to join AC Milan - report
By Soccernet staff

January 15, 2009
Comment
Email
Print
Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is set for a move to AC Milan if reports in Denmark are to be believed.

GettyImages

Agger: Has failed to win back his place at Anfield.
The Danish international defender has failed to recover his first-team place after missing the entire 2007-8 season with a foot injury. Agger has been reportedly unhappy with the lack of opportunities and the lack of a new contract.

Despite injury to Martin Skrtel, Agger has made just nine appearances for Liverpool.

The Daily Mail reported on Thursday that his representative Per Steffensen met San Siro sporting director Ariedo Braida and Italian agent Rino Foschi for lunch in Milan this week.

Danish website Tipsbladet says that the Rossoneri wanted the defender, who starred for the Reds in their run to the 2007 Champions League Final they lost to Milan, as a replacement for Alessandro Nesta, on whom injuries have taken their toll.

Tipsbladet reports that a fee of 60 million kroner, around £7.5m, has been agreed.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=609766&sec=transfers&cc=5901

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Skrtel seems to be holding down a place at Pool. Weird as before Agger had his lay off he seemed to becoming a real regular at Pool. My mate raves about Agger, personally I don't see much in him, so 7.5 million would be about right.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I actually think Agger is a good defender.

But, he isn't getting games and I can't see that changing.

And, if you had the chance to go to Milan from Liverpool, what would you do? ;) :p

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
manutd004 said:
I actually think Agger is a good defender.

But, he isn't getting games and I can't see that changing.

And, if you had the chance to go to Milan from Liverpool, what would you do? ;) :p
I think he's pretty good as well. Probably better than Carragher, who's lost a step or 2. But a scouser is a scouser is a scouser, and him and Stevie G run that team.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Get out of Hell while you can Agger lol.

Skrtle is just back from injury and seems to already have his place back in the side, the last game V Stoke, Sami and Skrtle in the middle with Carragher on the right. So Agger aint first choice.
If i was him i'd head for Age C Milan too, and take the Senderos spot!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I like it how when Carragher was played at RB for England, Liverpoo fans used to be absolutely furious.

Now that Rafas doing it it seems to all be okay. ;) :p

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
manutd004 said:
I like it how when Carragher was played at RB for England, Liverpoo fans used to be absolutely furious.

Now that Rafas doing it it seems to all be okay. ;) :p
Its cause Saint Rafa is the biggest technical genius in the history of football.

Other than Shankly of course. ;) :rolleyes:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Great signing for Milan if its true. I really rate Agger and him and Skrtel could end up being a top partnership.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jazz 16 said:
Agreed, so lets hope Agger p1sses off to Milan.
I don't see why he'd want to stay.

Learn from Carragher and Hypia?

Or....

Nesta and Maldini?

Z

·
0 Posts
Agger wasn't even on the bench tonight. Is he injured or is this a sign he's off to Meelan?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The Agger deal fell through, did it not? :confused:

EDIT: This is the latest I've found; (Sky Sports)

Agger delay riles Rafa
Reds boss also explains decision to halt contract talks

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has called on the club to end the furore surrounding Daniel Agger's future.

The Danish defender is attracting interest from Italian giants AC Milan, with a January switch to Serie A widely touted.

The Reds are understandably reluctant to part with the talented centre-half, but may see the issue taken out of their hands should they fail to convince Agger of his value to the club.

Talks over a new contract have stalled, much to the annoyance of Benitez who has now called on the Anfield hierarchy to resolve the distracting issue.

"The club have been too slow dealing with this and the player does not know where he stands," said the Spaniard.

"His situation is in the papers all the time now because we are not quick enough. I was talking with him and his agent, and it is clear that is the case.

"Daniel told me he wants to stay, and there is no doubt he is 100 per cent committed to the club. But they are waiting and waiting and do not know what is going on."

Problem

Meanwhile, with his own future on Merseyside still uncertain, Benitez admits he has halted contract discussions in order to concentrate his efforts on leading the club's title charge.

"It is true we could face a similar situation with other players, not just Agger," he said.

"I wanted to finish with my contract in one week, so I could deal with other things, but it has not been possible.

"There was a problem with it, and I decided to stop talks for the sake of the club and the team, so we could all concentrate on challenging for the title without any distractions.

"I really don't know whether it will prove difficult to resolve or not. For me, it should be easy because I am not talking about controlling everything.

"I am talking about football matters, working within a budget and making sure we continue to progress. That is all."

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
manutd004 said:
The Agger deal fell through, did it not? :confused:
The original one I posted did, though now I read that its a done deal for 9 mil, but you know how the papers are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts