Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Manchester United's ?56m shirt sponsor is on the verge of going bust

Manchester United are in danger of falling victim to the curse of the shirt sponsor.

United's principal sponsor AIG has run into serious financial difficulty, just days after XL, the name on West Ham's shirts, went bust.

It has not been a great week for the Old Trafford club. The Red Devils lost 2-1 at Anfield on Saturday and Manchester rivals City appear to have landed a huge windfall with the imminent takeover of the Eastlands club by Arab trillionaires.

Insurer American International Group Inc has made an unprecedented approach to the Federal Reserve seeking ?22billion in short-term financing, the New York Times reported overnight.

The move is widely seen as a desperate measure to stave off the threat of liquidation.

Manchester United's four-year ?56.5million agreement with AIG is the biggest shirt sponsorship deal in English football.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1055873/Now-Manchester-Uniteds-56m-shirt-sponsor-verge-going-bust.html?ITO=1490

AIG, Facing Liquidity Crunch, Reaches Out to Regulator

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26710104

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Not good. But i liked the old vodafone shirts anyway.
We are Manchester United, the biggest club in the world. So getting a new sponsor won't be that difficult would it?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
yeh just heard the news...they're in trouble but not finished yet though......it's not really a big deal though getting a new shirt sponsor even with the current economic crisis ain't gonna be a problem though if it cam to the worse.

would only be a problem to me if i'd jus bought a new shirt with the logo on n they go n change it....one of the reasons i never buy the new shirts anymore

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Not a huge surprise. Most financial institutions and businesses are struggling in the current economical climate. AIG going under would have a huge impact on economies across the World because they are one of the largest insurers in the World. I think the Federal Reserve are likely to help them if they can.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dont worry they'll be fine, the Fed wont allow such a large company go under, it would be catastrophic for the world economy if they did

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My TEVEZ '32' kit just came in the day before the game vs Liverpoo..was I so happy when TEVEZ scored! But then yeah the day got ruined..ehh!

But yeah I got two AIG kits lol & I was just about to order the 2 new away kits (blue and white) with Berbatov 9 and Giggs 11 but I guess Il wait to see what happens with the sponsors first...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
sparkic said:
My TEVEZ '32' kit just came in the day before the game vs Liverpoo..was I so happy when TEVEZ scored! But then yeah the day got ruined..ehh!

But yeah I got two AIG kits lol & I was just about to order the 2 new away kits (blue and white) with Berbatov 9 and Giggs 11 but I guess Il wait to see what happens with the sponsors first...

pity they can't do the decent thing n sell us fans shirts without any sponsors logo on them...it's all part of the deal yeh yeh but still....that's why i prefer the retro ones, no brand names ( unless you go for later ones e.g. ones with sharp on em which aint half bad)...just a good trusty shirt that aint gonna go in n out of fashion

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 areas of concern for me...

1. Can AIG terminate the sponsorship deal if say, they can no longer afford or is no longer one of their priorities? Any compensation if so?

2. In this current global financial turmoil (ouch!), I doubt a new sponsorship deal would be as good as AIG's, which still holds the record, I think. Unless we look Middle East!?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
versa said:
2 areas of concern for me...

1. Can AIG terminate the sponsorship deal if say, they can no longer afford or is no longer one of their priorities? Any compensation if so?

2. In this current global financial turmoil (ouch!), I doubt a new sponsorship deal would be as good as AIG's, which still holds the record, I think. Unless we look Middle East!?
see what your sayin about a new sponsor, however footie like baseball n american footie buck the trend even in a finacial crisis there is just too much money, and for sponsors attention on the game at present that finding a lucrative new sponsor if the worst happened i can't see as being a problem at all, in fact might actually be able to negotiate a better deal after tidy nite's work in moscow

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
This doesn't mean anything atm. Theres been a couple of companies asking for short-term financing help but it doesn't mean there about to go bust. Of course, they may, but its not a certainty.

Also, if we need a new sponsor, we're not going to get a better sponsor financially. It would be hard to get as good a deal in a good climate, but in this financial climate it will be especially difficult.

In terms of style, the AIG doesn't look bad, but there are better imo.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
manutd004 said:
This doesn't mean anything atm. Theres been a couple of companies asking for short-term financing help but it doesn't mean there about to go bust. Of course, they may, but its not a certainty.

Also, if we need a new sponsor, we're not going to get a better sponsor financially. It would be hard to get as good a deal in a good climate, but in this financial climate it will be especially difficult.

In terms of style, the AIG doesn't look bad, but there are better imo.
Lehman Brothers, one of the top 5 brokers along with Merill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sach etc, just filed for bankruptcy today.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26708143

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Looks like the end of them....

Apparently there are people targeting us to sponsor so we'll be grand in that
area.

Its the potential money we'll lose with AIG leaving. If they don't terminante, then
we should. We'll only loose more money hanging onto a failing business IMO

1 - 20 of 72 Posts