Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Malaysia-based airline company AirAsia is the latest organisation to have talks with Manchester United over becoming the club's next shirt sponsor.

United need a replacement for the embattled US banking firm AIG, which has confirmed it will not be renewing its current contract, which expires next year.

Despite the global economic downturn, United are still quietly confident of agreeing an increase on the present £19m a year they make in total from their deal with AIG.

It was confirmed last month that negotiations had taken place with giant Indian corporation Sahara, while Saudi Telecom are also believed to be in the running. Now the AirAsia chief executive Tony Fernandes has confirmed he will meet United counterpart David Gill about the possibility of becoming the club's shirt sponsor.

"There is no doubt that this would be great for AirAsia," said Fernandes on his personal blog. "I don't know what the entire package would amount to but I was just thrilled that we have reached a stage where Manchester United would actually 1) Think that we are a big enough brand to afford them; and 2) That they would want our brand on them."

AirAsia enter talks with Manchester United over shirt sponsorship | Football | guardian.co.uk

·
Banned
107 Posts
thats good news. plenty of money in asia and middle east and wht better a place to promote your business than on a united shirt
it would be good, considering the amount of fans we have in the middle east. rather airasia than sahara i think, with a big dirty sahara all over it the kit would look poor

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
whichever has the better logo i hope gets it, would prefer a beer or something but as long as we get the funds to keep attracting the best players I'll be happy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a pic out there the guy made up, of what Air Asia would look like on the Utd shirt. It looks ok, but i'd rather try and wrangle Sony into a deal, that logo looked excellent in a mock up that's flying about. The pic is on the Telegraph website by the way.

·
Banned
107 Posts
There is a pic out there the guy made up, of what Air Asia would look like on the Utd shirt. It looks ok, but i'd rather try and wrangle Sony into a deal, that logo looked excellent in a mock up that's flying about. The pic is on the Telegraph website by the way.
yes i have just found the image.
it doesnt look too bad but the kit looks too plane. (geddit geddit:D air asia-plane- instead of plain ahh forget it)

anyway ill post the image here. would much rather have sony. that would be a fat sponsor deal, kit would look sick. probably a bit like the vodafone one a few years back

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
To be honest, I'm not especially bothered about the logo thats a superficial need really, I'm happy for it to go to the highest bidder who will provide the most commercial benefits in their region.

Whatever the logo is I'll get used to it.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
All these people here getting thrills over AirAsia getting the deal, when they probably know next to nothing about sponserships.

Proves that all United are, are a big fat marketing tool :(

·
23,699 Posts
"There is no doubt that this would be great for AirAsia," said Fernandes on his personal blog. "I don't know what the entire package would amount to but I was just thrilled that we have reached a stage where Manchester United would actually 1) Think that we are a big enough brand to afford them; and 2) That they would want our brand on them."
That was surprise understated rather than "thrilled" if you ask me. And for obvious reason - Air Asia is just a budget airline of Malaysia doing regional flights.

More like times are really really bad, just to be honest. See what is happening to AIG.

But if they are willing to be "thrilled" and cough out the money needed in these extraordinary times, why not? :cheers1:

P.S. Not that I am excited over the brand.

·
23,699 Posts
Be nice to have sponserless shirts though.
Sounds ideal, wonderful and almost puritan but I do wonder how helpful it can be to have a sponsorless shirt while your rivals continue to rake in millions from it? Either we buy downhill players like Keano did or the fans will have to pay another few folds in season tickets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts