Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19293825

Arsenal midfielder Alex Song is closing in on a move to Spanish giants Barcelona and the deal could be completed this weekend.
The 24-year-old will not feature in Saturday's opening Premier League match against Sunderland.
However manager Arsene Wenger has lined up Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin on a season-long loan as a replacement.
When asked about the possibility of more signings, and the departure of Song, Wenger said: "Both can happen."
When it rains it pours. Can't see arsenal making the Champions League now.

·
Play for the badge and they'll remember the name
256 Posts
Of course they'll get CL, how many times have we writen them off in the past? They'll be even easier to beat now without Song though - I imagine he would be justifying RVP's injury prone tag

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I would be very surprised if they made the top four next season, I know this has been said for a couple of years running already, but they're about to lose their two best players from last season without having anybody left in the squad that you can genuinely call world class or even close IMO, the only way might be if Tottenham fucks it up and become a complete mess with AVB.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
:LOL: @ the idea regarding negotiating with Barca just to call Song's bluff on his new contract.

I never thought that I'd say this and I can settle myself by calling on the memory of them having their victory celebrations at OT when they won the league in 2002 but I have actually felt sorry for Arsenal, Arsene Wenger and their fans a tiny little bit this week. They used to be a worhy adversary, I enjoyed our rivalry at the top with them more than any other club that we've competed at the top with. The feud was just so bitter both on and off the pitch. I miss that, it's gone and probably gone forever.

In order for Arsenal to even come close to making the top four this season Wenger is going to need the signings of Giroud, Carorla and Podolski to ALL work. As well as managing to keep their first choice back four fit as often as possible. TBF Wenger performed a small miracle last season to pull it round from that terrible start they had and losing Fabregas and Nasri and being forced to panic buy before the window closed. But the goals of our new number 20 bailed them out so many times. Wenger's probably going to need to exceed that this season (even though it's unlikely that they'll have such a bad opening to the season.) to cling to fourth. He's a great manager. But that can only do so much.

·
Tormund FTW!
1,916 Posts
If they do get M'Vila as a replacement for him, then it wont be all that bad tbh.

M'Vila is more than equal with Song in terms of defensive capability, he just lacks the ability to play that killer pass that Song did so many times last season.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
13 assists Alex Song managed in the Premier League alone, his passing and vision is class and will need replacing very carefully.

·
VIDA !!! will murder you..
1,637 Posts
why is going for cheap what is it with barcelona that they get quality players for so cheap...

1 - 20 of 128 Posts