Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this man the best player ever? better than Pele and Maradona?
Its a close call, closer than most would think.
Ive been reading a fair bit about him in recent months....
Bobby Charlton said he was the best he ever saw (some of the words are in this blog)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2009/02/pele_or_maradonna.html

Phil Vickery blog is always a decent read. Maybe Di Stefano was the best? :confused:
I doubt many will remember him as he played ages ago, but I dont think the great
man always gets the recognition he deserves. 5 European triumphs on the troy says a lot.
If any of you have good stories or articles or thoughts on diStefano then post them up.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, Denis Law said he was the best player he ever played with and saw.

But from what I've heard he sounded an unbelievable player and I'm surprised he isn't mention. It's always Pele Vs Maradona.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Was this man the best player ever? better than Pele and Maradona?
Its a close call, closer than most would think.
Ive been reading a fair bit about him in recent months....
Bobby Charlton said he was the best he ever saw (some of the words are in this blog)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2009/02/pele_or_maradonna.html

Phil Vickery blog is always a decent read. Maybe Di Stefano was the best? :confused:
I doubt many will remember him as he played ages ago, but I dont think the great
man always gets the recognition he deserves. 5 European triumphs on the troy says a lot.
If any of you have good stories or articles or thoughts on diStefano then post them up.

Well he also said that about Duncan Edwards :rolleyes:

Was a fantastic player though I must say...to score as many goals as he did
Probably up there with the best
Maybe underrated compared to Pele and Maradona cause he never won a World Cup

But 893 career goals !! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the great john charles was up there amongst the legends and he was superb from centre half to centre forward .he was known as the gentle giant and is still idolised in juventus after playing there in the 50's ,many of the older generation name him has being the greatest ,its all down to individual choices at the end of the day.
maradonna is the best player i have seen in my lifetime .

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Sownak27 said:
Well he also said that about Duncan Edwards :rolleyes:
also said that about Ronaldo :rolleyes:

Stefano is class but hes no where near to Pele'S laces

Pele + Madona + Best + Charlton + Law + Edwards + Moller + Backingpowder all better than him

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Wikipedia said:
Alfredo Di Stéfano once said of Diego Maradona "Technically, on an individual basis, he is far superior to me in what he can do with a ball; my ability to cover an entire field and versatility is what I hold over him, though with the right training he could easily do the same."[citation needed]

On the other hand, Maradona has also had words praising Di Stéfano. In comments made to RAI television in 1997, he said, "I don't know if I was a better player than Pelé, but I can say without any doubt that Di Stéfano was better than Pelé. I am proud when one speaks of Di Stéfano... I can say that Maradona could be worse than Pelé. But I emphasize Di Stéfano was better"[

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i worked with a celtic fan who was at the real madrid /frankfurt european cup final in the early sixties . He said he was best he ever saw . This came from a man who saw wee jinky johnstone as a god . He rated him higher than pele as pele never did it at club level - di stefano played in side that won cl five times in a row

·
Registered
601 Posts
di steffano was amongst a great side back in the 50's or 60's. they were unstoppable with the likes of pushcas upfront, di steffano in the middle. This is where real madrids legacy started as they won many UCL's, i dont no how many on the trot. But they had many great players. I saw a documentary of the famous side in the late 90's on bbc 2, i still remeber because it showed some footage of the way real played, and de steffano was the main man. Steffano was like Zidane, had the skill, flicks could take on many players. but that was just some of the footage.

i will try and find you some footage or find the documentary if its up on the internet.

check this out great footage http://www.truveo.com/Final-Liga-Campeões-BenficaReal-Madrid-1962-Parte/id/1782903739

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
never saw any of these old lads mentioned playing.
my grandad says the finest three players he ever saw were di stefano, charles and edwards.
no real opinion on it as i haven't seen much footage of any of them aside from a little bit of edwards.
the facts speak for themselves, 5 consecutive european cups and 8 leagues with real madrid.
gotta be special.
won the world player of the year a few times i think as well

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
can i just point something out here and im not slating any of the past players but would the goal ratio per games not be higher now as back than you would see regular score lines such as 6-3 and all that where as now it usually never goes over a team scoring 4 ?

tbh i find it hard to comment on these players as i wasn't around for all of them so i only have videos Ive seen to judge and we all know how good Quaresma looks on you tube so i cant really pass comment so ill leave it up to the older dudes(like zuco the old fecker :D:p)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Puskas so I'm going to say I believe Puskas was the better of the two even though I respect Di Stefano greatly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts