Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so of the back of an disappointing thrashing by liverpool were all quite rightly upset, annoyed, banging our head against the wall or even wanting to shoot the nearest dipper in sight..

well before i start this aint a ''were crap thread'' or ''we aint gunna win the league'' stuff this is just a thought.

since maybe half way into jan the critics and press have been raving about this 'quintuplet' that they all think we could win, now im not saying it isnt possible lets face it anythings possible, im just trying to point out that cause we have been beat rather convincingly and at home that all the talk about it will stop or atleast die down.

in my opinion even though sir alex and others tried to calm the talk of it there was still a big buzz over it and i think this may of got the players heads slightly, and maybe this shocking defeat was what they needed to get a tick up the backside and get on with the main job at hand WINNING THE LEAUGE

lets hope this is the case cause i must admit all the articals and talk of the 'quintuplet' was wearing thin with me, so lets hope instead of the talk in the papers united do there talking where its supposed to be done..... on the pitch

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
To be fair, it won't stop until we are out of one of the competitions. In this day of lazy journalism, it is all about sensationalism. What will sell more papers, one talking about the greatest team ever or one talking about a team that keeps winning but shows signs of not making it to the line in all 5 competitions?

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair, it won't stop until we are out of one of the competitions. In this day of lazy journalism, it is all about sensationalism. What will sell more papers, one talking about the greatest team ever or one talking about a team that keeps winning but shows signs of not making it to the line in all 5 competitions?
yeah your right the talk will continue of corse it will but i think it will not be out the players heads less, i mean all they have been asked recently is can you do it and i think after a while some may believe that they can, but hopefully this will knock them back abit and make em realize its not a given

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
SAF mess the thins up totally this time! Can't believe that manager like him could start with these players
Have you had brain damage recently ?
We started with possibly our best eleven bar maybe anderson who's still recovering

Think about what you say first

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SAF mess the thins up totally this time! Can't believe that manager like him could start with these players
dont mean to jump down your throat mate but this thread isnt about SAF and the choices he did or did not make, this was about all the talk off the 'quintuplet'

and sure his tactics may need to be questions but you must remember that he can only pick the players then its up to them to play on the pitch and if you look at the way our defense played today you'll realize that it was down to there misgivings, and that was arguably our strongest defense so did SAF mess up there???

·
Registered
773 Posts
u know what, saf only wrong in putting anderson instead of fletcher or giggs...we were over confident in this match but the title race are still right on track....we should put better team display....that's why saf should banned player like rooney on putting his desire feeling on public...like how robben say...he hate liverpool and then he performed very selfish on the pitch..look how rooney performed on the pitch today...he's selfish too in the early half...

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u know what, saf only wrong in putting anderson instead of fletcher or giggs...we were over confident in this match but the title race are still right on track....we should put better team display....that's why saf should banned player like rooney on putting his desire feeling on public...like how robben say...he hate liverpool and then he performed very selfish on the pitch..look how rooney performed on the pitch today...he's selfish too in the early half...
sorry mate but question tactics on another thread this is about the talk of the 'quintuplet' and i dont know how you can say rooney was selfish

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you had brain damage recently ?
We started with possibly our best eleven bar maybe anderson who's still recovering

Think about what you say first
No we didn't and the match show it, and watch your language when you claim such nonsense!
The best team for this game should be different
We played better in atack with 10 men and great passive after the changes than the whole 70min

·
Registered
376 Posts
liverpool hunger/United asleep

I still think we will win the league and I still think Fergie is a demi-god.

Ok , that's that straight. My analysis of what went wrong (do I need to say which game I am talking about) is just basic complacency and a touch of arrogance combined with some urgency from Liverpool.

The basic problem is getting players to believe that they really can lose the league. The past United teams had 98 fresh in their minds to stoke them on , this team does not have such a memory. I'm quite surprised that a Ferguson team has succumbed so easily to the temptation to believe it's own press. Stroking the ball around in some European manner at a slow pace doesn't wash it for me. Sometimes you think the players believe they are the harlem globetrotters of football and they don't have to do the basics and play with speed , graft and fire in their bellies.

When United play too slow they become sloppy and lose their way. There is a fine line between a healthy arrogance that makes you play well and an unhealthy arrogance where you lose your edge and become complacent. If United were 7 points behind Liverpool this morning then there's no way they would have played like that. We all know why. The sign of a truely great team is when they play as if they are 2-0 down with ten minutes to go ALL the time. Complacency has no room to rear it's ugly head. You tend to see this in the true greats (eg Tiger Woods , Nadal , Schumacher) , they are always 100% on the button and desperate to win no matter WHAT the circumstances. Respect the opponent but still crush the opponent ! No mercy! No foot off the gas.

This United team has yet to show a ruthlessness urgency and intensity that it will need to win this quintuplet thing the press go on about. I think Fergie got it wrong today and he probably knows it , but I'm so glad this didn't happen against Inter (could have easily) because that would be one trophy down and out.

So here is the great question for this team and the challenge for every sporting great. Can I put my foot hard on the gas when it feels so easy to just take it easy? Can I maintain the intensity and hunger when everyone around me is telling me how all I need to do is turn up and I will win?

This puzzle has not been solved yet by this team. We all know there will be a "reaction" and the intensity will return , humiliation does that to a team. But truely great teams "react" before they become complacent and deliver the hammer blow to the opposition. They have an absolutely ruthless driven desire to humiliate and destroy the opposition even if they are so far in front that it seems not to matter. It matters to THEM.

Well , this result matters to me and I know it matters to you. I couldn't give a stuff about the 10 points or whatever it was right now. This is a Liverpool game. I'm waiting for this "reaction" but I why does it always have to come to this first?

Wake up and stay awake this time United!

·
Registered
93 Posts
No idea in offense, no players to control the ball...
We gave it to Liverpool and ofcourse our deffence didn't make it
The weapon of MU is the great control of the ball and permanent atacking, which was toatlly missing this time.
And the mistake is of SAF, we missed the most important players who can keep the ball Giggs and Berbatov

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No idea in offense, no players to control the ball...
We gave it to Liverpool and ofcourse our deffence didn't make it
The weapon of MU is the great control of the ball and permanent atacking, which was toatlly missing this time.
And the mistake is of SAF, we missed the most important players who can keep the ball Giggs and Berbatov
giggs a 35 year old who only on weds played 90mins + against the champions of italy inter Milan and berbatov who also played 90 mins against inter was poor in that game so rightfully should of been dropped

and please reframe from using MU on a united forum mate :rtfm:

·
Registered
93 Posts
giggs a 35 year old who only on weds played 90mins + against the champions of italy inter Milan and berbatov who also played 90 mins against inter was poor in that game so rightfully should of been dropped

and please reframe from using MU on a united forum mate :rtfm:
But starting with them seems much reasonable now.
What's wrong with the MU isn't the name Manchester United?!

·
Registered
376 Posts
maybe it does but what help would they be if the defense played the same? useless simple as
defensive mistakes were again down to complacency. Vidic should just do the simple thing and head the ball away , instead he complicates and arrogantly let's it bounce and torres scores. It was a nochelant piece of defending from a training match but shouldn't be even tried against a player of torres quality.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just want to preface my coments below by saying:
1. I still believe in the players and the manager
2. I know we cannot win every game and play well in every game.
3. I may be overly emotional after the defeat.

I believe we can still win the title but it is not a guaranteed thing. Seriously, I am a little concerned about the team. For me, we have not played well since the first half of the game in the San Siro. In particular our defence has been getting sloppy (I know it is easy to say this now after a bad defeat but I honestly have been concerned for awhile) -

O'Shea (at right back): He has been committing seem very rash fouls and been caught out of position too many times. He should have been sent off in the CC final. I am surprised that he was not carded against Newcastle and during the return leg against Inter. Funnily enough I think his forward play has been good at right back. Please note this not meant to be an attack on O'Shea. I think O'Shea is a great defender but I don't think he is comfortable at right back. I know this is a bit of futile argument as none of our recognised right-backs are fit and O'shea is doing his best but teams will get rewards if they try to exploit us on the right. Unfortunately, the manager said that he does not expect any of our right backs to be fit until after the international break. If not for the fact that Vidic is suspended, I would try Evans at right back because he played there in the CC final and did not do too bad.

Vidic: I love him! He has been our most consistent defender especially when Rio was injured. However, this is his third red of the season and that's two against Liverpool. I don't think we can argue that he did not deserve any of those reds. Every defender makes mistakes but what concerns me is that lately he has seemed a bit unsure. The yellow against Newcastle could have been a red and I think Martins gave hime a hard time, he had some shaky moments against Fulham (eg. heading back to VDS). Against Inter, the defense gave them opportunites but Inter did not exploit them as well as Liverpool did. Maybe he needs a break and his suspension may help him get back into form. The problem now is he is gone for three matches and if Evans get injured or Rio's back acts up, we are in trouble.

Rio: His form has been patchy. I hope he steps things up now that Vidic has been suspended.

Evra: He has been in bad form since the game in the San Siro game. His attacking play is still good but defensively he has been all over the place. I know he is trying his best but it is difficult to predict when a player's form will return and at the moment there is no one else unless we want to play Fabio.

I know a lot of people think we should have started either Giggs or Scholes but I disagree. Other than the league match against Fulham where they were awful, Scholes has been pretty average in the games he has started. I think he is better as an impact sub. Giggs played the full 90 mins against Fulham two days ago. It was not physically possible to start him again.

Carrick had a bad game today and arguably against Inter. I assume he will be better next time. Anderson tried but he was inexperienced. Rooney and Ronaldo tried but they were tightly marked. Tevez was as usual for me some good and some bad.

I am just worried that the team need a spark and I am not sure where it will come from. Everyone seems to be assuming we will crush Fulham but they have had a string of bad results and will be desperate to stay away from the relegation zone. Also, their pride alone should spur them to put in a good preformance because they would not want to lose to United three times in a row and they gave us a game for 20 minutes. We could easily draw at Fulham.

Overall, what I am saying is we should not overreact to the defeat today but we should not dismiss it as meaningless either.

Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ouch!

It's just a bad day in the office. Fatigue can be a factor too, as some of the regulars really need some serious rest. Now that Vida's out for 3 games, it'll give him time to freshen himself up. As for the rest, it's back to the basics. They can still turn this around.

'Pool may have won two games against us (and it's obvious that its painful), but the Premiership, CL and FA Cup's ain't over yet. We can still make them jealous. :)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts