Manchester United Talk banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'm not sure this I am getting this right? I think I read somewhere that the definition of knee-jerk reaction is to write a players career off after a couple of poor games.

I do remember Anderson playing Gerrard and Fabregas out of games last season and hence the song.

It is very sad that because of our exceptional season last year that a lot of supporters expect flawless performances week in week out.
The thing is its not that I'm expecting flawless performances, I'm quite patient with young players. Its just that, when you look at the attributes he has displayed over the last year, he's basically left with pace and not a lot else.

He cannot shoot to save his life, his decision making is not good, his passing is wayward (although in fairness from time to time he will execute a cracking through ball) he's not terrible at tackling but he can be naive, his positional sense is not good and his movement is woeful.

And what worries me is, he's clearly putting on weight in fat and that suggests a lack of professionalism, and will also be detrimental on his one really strong point, the physical aspect of his game. He also looks very arrogant these days - and I'm beginning to worry if maybe (and I know I'm make assumptions here) that maybe he has walked into a team that is successful, and begun to think he's already 'made it' which would explain his backwards development. I really think he's become a liability for us and I'd feel more confident now with Gibson in the team!

Its such a shame because when he joined he had such an enthusiasm and seemed like he really could be good, and we'd all seen the Youtube videos of his trickery, but its all gone backwards from there. I hate to say it but I've reached the end of my tether with him. One thing I won't bring into it is the price we paid for him because that is out of his control. He was supposed to be brought in to be an attacking force to replace Scholesy and frankly I just don't see it :frown:

·
Registered
46 Posts
When Anderson came into the side last season I think that everybody was surprised at how well he settled in and even more pleasing was the individual battles he had against Gerrard and Fabregas who are widely considered to be among the best in the league. He out shone these players and was instrumental in our success last season. Scholes was out for a major part of last season as were other midfielders Anderson got his chance and took it.

I think the problem this season has been the early form of other midfielders together with a lot less injuries in this area that has resulted in much more rotation. For young players to develop they need to play games and make mistakes. If you look hard enough you will always find flaws with young players or indeed any player.

I just think that some supporters are very quick to cast aside players to the scrap heap. If we want ready made players then we need to adopt the Chelsea approach but in if we want to develop a good mix of youth and experience we need to allow these players to come in and play their own game. Anderson is never going to replace Scholes. Anderson's game is more about driving the team forward, more like an Essien.

In some ways the success that we have had as a club recently has numbed the reasonable expectations some of our supporters have of our players. If we lose a game then someone has to take the blame and more and more now even if we don't win by 2 or 3 goals then something is wrong.

Anderson is 21 next month so to say that he is not good enough for our side when he hasn't even finished his second season and especially since his first season was so good seems a little hasty.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the thing is.. no matter if we win all 4 trophies liverpool will be happy telling us about this defeat for the next 50 years. where as if we beat one of the big 4 heavily we would just let it go after the first week. we have bigger fish to fry lets move on

·
Registered
195 Posts
lol, red faces all round for the united fans who rang radio phone-ins slating fergie for not starting with fletcher then.

Interesting that anderson would have started anyway though.

ye fergie thinks anderson has had the better of gerrard in recent matches and anderson was gonna be a defo starter for that game,maybe he is right but anderson needs a fletcher type player beside him not carrick

·
Registered
195 Posts
apologies. I am trying to drum up some positive thinking and up to half time, jsp was our only real positive. I am right tho in saying he has had some of the most consistent performances in the side this campaign and understand fully how sir alex was troubled in leaving him out the cl final
i agree with ya mate i think park is a quality dependable player he all ways gives 110 per cent and i think he has improved a lot since joining and i also think fans dont give him the credit he deserves,

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Here's a somewhat "different" analysis of the game;

Manchester United 1 Liverpool 4 - a bizarre tale of red, might and blue
What the devil happened at Old Trafford on Saturday? Something to do with sucking jelly babies, perhaps...
by Philip Smith on 15 March 2009

I must have dozed off in front of the telly yesterday because I had the strangest dream. Well, you could say it was a bit of a nightmare really.

There was this team, they’re nearly always dressed in red, big and tough and they really can be devils at times. You don’t mess with them unless you want a right slapping.

And there was this other team. Now I’ve seen them before and they sometimes try to make themselves look like the first team because they usually wear red, but they’re not as good.

But this time they were like big giants in grey suits of armour, and they seemed to have these jets attached that made them faster than anything I’ve seen for a long time. Jeez, they were like lightning.

Funny thing was, though, that these first tough guys who play like the very Devil, were dressed like little red jelly babies. True! Jelly babies! Never seen anything like it; they couldn’t run, they couldn’t kick the ball – and when they did they kept falling over – and they just hadn’t a clue what was going on.

The big guys (the ones with the jet-packs on their backs) must have felt sorry for the jelly babies because they gave them a goal start. But it didn’t make any difference because they were just having a laugh.

There was this one red jelly baby who couldn’t run at all, and this big grey brute who just whooshed past him to score a goal. And then another jelly baby with no legs threw his little body in front of another of these giants, tripped him up and that was another goal.

Then this first red jelly baby who couldn’t run at all got himself in trouble again when he tripped up another giant, and the big man in black who plays with a whistle had seen enough – he just gobbled up the red jelly baby. Yuk!

But the big guys didn’t take pity on the jelly babies just because they’d lost one. They scored two more goals just to make it look as though all the jelly babies had lost their legs.

This was turning into the worst dream I’d had for a long time, until I noticed that the jelly baby who’s usually the toughest and most reliable Devil of all, the one who throws himself around like Superman and stops the ball going in the net, was BLUE.

I suddenly realised that it had to be a dream because we all know they don’t make BLUE jelly babies.

Then it got really bad as I was suddenly awakened to a voice telling me . . . “They got stuffed 4-1!”

This is from Sportingo (Link) where you can sign up and post your own articles. I did tell you it was different.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts