1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest news from SkySports...

More to follow

BBC Sport

Blackburn Rovers have appointed Sam Allardyce as their new manager on a three-year contract.

The Lancashire club sacked Paul Ince on Tuesday and made it clear they wanted a new boss at the helm for Saturday's home game against Stoke.

"Rovers are delighted to announce the appointment of Sam Allardyce as manager," said a club statement.

Allardyce, 54, has been out of work since he was dismissed as manager of Newcastle on 9 January.

The new manager will be officially unveiled at a news conference at 1600 GMT on Thursday.

Ince was dismissed by Rovers after only 17 Premier League games in charge.

Rovers are second from bottom of the Premier League and have not won in the league since they defeated Newcastle on 27 September.

After a winning start under Ince's tenure, Rovers have won only three of their top-flight matches this season and are on a run of 11 straight games without a victory.

Allardyce had also been linked with the managerial vacancy at Sunderland.

He was highly successful during eight years at the helm of Rovers' Lancashire rivals Bolton, establishing them in the Premier League during his time in charge at the Reebok.

Rovers play successive Premier League fixtures against Newcastle and Bolton in January.

Former Blackburn striker Kevin Gallagher told BBC Sport: "It is not a surprise choice.

"Blackburn needs someone who can put the club back together again and I think he can do that."

Allardyce has also managed Blackpool and Notts County.

At Bolton he was renowned for innovative thinking, using scientific techniques to keep players fit.

But there has been no word at Rovers about the future of Ince's backroom staff of Archie Knox, Ray Mathias and Karl Robinson.

Graeme Souness, who managed the club from 2000-2004, had also been linked with the job but had already ruled himself out of the running.

"I'm afraid you are talking to the wrong man," Souness told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph newspaper.

"I don't know anything and have had no contact at all from Blackburn Rovers. I'm not your man, I can definitely say that."

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Originally Posted By Because I'm DC
Can't say I'm surprised... or sympathetic.

Allardyce for the replacement maybe? He is a relegation expert.
Just sayin'.

A good appointment though, and probably the one they should've put in charge to begin with. He's a decent manager, and should've been given more time at Newcastle. Good luck to him, the only way is up I suppose.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Better then Souness...

and now Rovers fans will see 10-15 new signings every year.:)
Big Sam did a great job in Notlob and could do the same at Rovers...similar sized clubs where he will get time and not like Newcastle who still think they will beat and keep their fingers crossed Ginola will do the tricks for them.:D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
That's odd. I'm sure on Goals on Sunday he was asked about the Sunderland job and said he wanted to manage an ambitious club with money to spend. That dosn't sound like Blackburn Rovers!

A good appointment though. He did a brilliant job at Bolton and he quite rightly pointed out on Goals on Sunday that when he was sacked from Newcastle they were in 11th place - a higher position than they have managed ever since his departure.

Rovers have some good players and if Big Sam can get Santa Cruz and McCarthy to stay at the club and bang in the goals then they'll be safe.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
great move by rovers. im 99% sure he'll keep them up. what their fans can expect is a mid-table finish for the next 3 years. but none the less. i think if i was a rovers fan id be more than happy with that, after being linked with souness that is :rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm actually quite surprised by this tbh.

It's a good choice no doubt, but I didn't think he'd go to Blackburn. I thought that the Sunderland job would be the one he'd want.

But he's similar to Mark Hughes in terms of that, if he does the job that he can, he'll make great, efficient, cheap signings and have them punching above their weight. I don't think they could have made a better choice atm.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
manutd004 said:
I'm actually quite surprised by this tbh.

It's a good choice no doubt, but I didn't think he'd go to Blackburn. I thought that the Sunderland job would be the one he'd want.

But he's similar to Mark Hughes in terms of that, if he does the job that he can, he'll make great, efficient, cheap signings and have them punching above their weight. I don't think they could have made a better choice atm.
sunderland would def have been the better option for him but maybe sunderland didnt want him. i just hope sunderland dont end up with souness. i really like sunderlands team, got a good squad worthy of being in the premier league. Such a shame keane left :(

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Clarky101 said:
sunderland would def have been the better option for him but maybe sunderland didnt want him. i just hope sunderland dont end up with souness. i really like sunderlands team, got a good squad worthy of being in the premier league. Such a shame keane left :(
I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of Souness going to Sunderland.

I think Blackburn only wanted him because he was there before and won them a cup. (won them the League Cup.) If he hadn't they wouldn't have even been considering him imho.

I can see the next Sunderland manager being foreign though.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
manutd004 said:
I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of Souness going to Sunderland.

I think Blackburn only wanted him because he was there before and won them a cup. (won them the League Cup.) If he hadn't they wouldn't have even been considering him imho.

I can see the next Sunderland manager being foreign though.
yeah i was thinking id like them to go abroad for a manager but couldnt think were to start

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Clarky101 said:
yeah i was thinking id like them to go abroad for a manager but couldnt think were to start
I don't really know where to start either.

Martin Jol didn't dismiss the job when he was asked before the Hamburg-Villa game. He'd be a good choice for Sunderland imo, but I have no idea why he would want to leave Hamburg to go to Sunderland, no disrespect intended.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I heard my Rovers friend were crying when he found out Big Sam wants to bring Kevin Davies to Rovers a 2nd time. :D Maybe Sam got a bad start just like Ince.:D

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
A good appointment by Blackburn they chosse the right man imo Sam does well with small clubs and he'll be given time by Blackburn unlike at Newcastle I can see them getting out of trouble and staying up now.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah, a great start for Sam Allardyce.

I thought with the way the defence was playing they would struggle with Stokes long ball tactics and their physical power.

However, they played very well and got a big win today. Tomorrow will be important for Blackburn though, as they've played one more game than the rest of the bottom five teams.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts