Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know Manual Almunia is eligble to play for the English National team should he get an English passport. He was quoted in an interview earlier in the week saying he wasn't sure if he would be accepted into the fold.

Do you think he'd have a chance of impressing? Ahead of him are,

David James (Long time server, Pompey #1)
Paul Robinson (Recently axed #1, Spurs #1 now)
Scott Carson (Had a few runs, WBA #1)
Robert Green (Hasnt played that much, West Ham United #1)
Chris Kirkland (Not featured at all really, Wigan's #1)
Ben Foster (Tipped for future #1, currently United #3)

Manual Almunia (Arsenal's #1)

He is capable of having THOSE days where he just doesn't get beaten and for me anyways, he could push aside some of the above.

What ya think?

Oh, wish Ireland had such a nice aray of talent to choose from. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
noooooooo dont rate him- think he is about the SAME level as what we already have , if the guy was something special then yes certainly , but really is he???? do we see almunia regularly touted as one of the worlds great keepers??? i think not, only thing going for him is he plays week in week out and is ' dependable' without ever being inspiring or spectacular

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
You forgot Kirkland off that list, who I think probably has the most potential out of all of them. Just been unlucky with injuries. I dont think Almunia would do a bad job for England. He isnt much better or worse than the keepers you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You forgot Kirkland off that list, who I think probably has the most potential out of all of them. Just been unlucky with injuries. I dont think Almunia would do a bad job for England. He isnt much better or worse than the keepers you mentioned.
kirkland has always been one of the ones to watch out for me for me since he started at coventry , felt he was let down badly at liverpool big fee no run of games to speak of and then off to wigan- add the injuries an the guy needs more of a chance at a bigger club maybe

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
kirkland has always been one of the ones to watch out for me for me since he started at coventry , felt he was let down badly at liverpool big fee no run of games to speak of and then off to wigan- add the injuries an the guy needs more of a chance at a bigger club maybe
When he is on form and injury free he is much better than every keeper mentioned in post 1.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Englan just can not find a top quality GK since David Seaman retired.I don't think that Manuel Almunia should play for England.
First-me personly...Im agains foreign player in natonial teams.Maybe Im old fashion.but I believe that they could not play for national team with the same passion as home players.Of course,It's not always case.Look at Croatia and Eduardo.

Second-Almunia is not good enoung for ANY national team,especially not for English...in fact,he is a hole.

Third-England have young and quality GK like Ben Foster and Joe Hart.I think that they are ready for the first team.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
oh do behave -- we english do not need other countries cast offs !!!! kevin pieterson alan lamb etc in cricket dont count by the way

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Question remains, what will Almunia want to do?
Obviously he would rather play for Spain cos they are actually a decent team :D (jk.)
but how would he ever get in ahead of Cassilas and Reina?? answer-he never would.
He has a better shot playing for England. Must be a tough call for him.

·
Registered
542 Posts
james at club level is great but hes too nervry and inconsistant at international level.

errm... aluminia i have no idea how good he is tbh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts