Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
That is prediction at its worst , i just cannot believe he slagged fergie off so much.
It was difficult to compete with chelsea at that time , we were in transition and they had squillions of romans pounds to spend.
I wonder if he ever looks back on it and squirms

·
Registered
293 Posts
that was so funny. i love the way he bags players who turned out to be one of united's best players ever. "turned Ronaldo from the world's most thrilling off-the-wall talent into a run-of-the-mill winger when he plays for United," i bet he regretted saying that when he sees all the awards he's gotten!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I remember that article... and I also remember reading an article, would have been the 05/06 season when we went out of the champions league by an irish journalist called Eamonn Dunphy... many of you may know him...

Anyway he essentially said that Fergie had had it that United's Dynasty was now finished... I had a row with him when both of us were v drunk on Grafton street (Dublin) a few months ago and I brought up that article and I gave him hell over it and how much he slates Ronaldo! he was absolutely shit faced so it wasn't a quality debate but he wouldn't back down on what he said despite Fergie having turned things around and now in possession of arguably his greatest ever squad! he kept saying Carrick was a joke of a signing to replace Keane, if I see him again I'll ask him how he thought Carrick was playing this season!

I still have it at home and I will scan it for you if I get a chance over the weekend...

Another Article I vividly remember reading (unfortunately I dont know who it was by or what newspaper... though I'm sure it may have been the Guardian also as I read it while in Manc before a match against Wigan)

Anyway the Journalist started the piece with a quote from Sir Alex from many years before where he was speaking about how Matt Busby and Clough went out on relative lows... Fergie was quoted as saying that both these managers allowed their teams to stagnate and 'forgot to sign new players'... at the time United were behind Chelsea and Arsenal, had no midfielders and had numerous problems having just lost Roy Keane and everything that went with that...

Anyway the Journalist was claiming that Fergie many years later had also allowed his team to stagnate etc...

It's amazing how within 18months he had turned a team that looked like it was finished into Champions! I always say it... ALWAYS TRUST FERGIE!!!

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great stuff Eoininho, if i could see that article it'd be great, sounds like it'll be good for a laugh. This guy writing for the Guardian must be so embarrassed now lol

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Quote: 'With Tottenham getting stronger, even with the loss of Carrick, it is conceivable that, if they start slowly and get significant injuries, United could finish fifth'

And look what happened, tottenham went downwards and we went all world dominent on teams arse hahaha

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I remember this article, and how it seemed every forum was laughing and angry about it at the same time.

It's a terrible article (that's putting it mildly actually) and I wonder if he's actually admitted he was wrong. I seriously doubt it tbh.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
"And the one person who surely would, Damien Duff, was allowed to slip into the arms of Newcastle for less than United paid for Patrice Evra."

"The signing of Michael Carrick, a Pirlo when a Gattuso was needed, is a band aid for a bullet wound,..."

"Arsenal will surely not have a four-month blind spot this season, while all evidence suggests that Liverpool's gradient will continue on its upward trajectory. With Tottenham getting stronger, even with the loss of Carrick, it is conceivable that, if they start slowly and get significant injuries, United could finish fifth; in today's environment, that would be disastrous."

"Take the Cristiano Ronaldo situation: Ferguson said recently that he had not even spoken to Ronaldo since the World Cup, a dereliction of duty that is in total contrast to the us-against-the-world protection that he gave to David Beckham - and for which, for a time, he was so thrillingly rewarded - in 1998"

"And the thing is, it is only going to get worse: Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham have all made shrewd, cheap signings and are going in one direction. United are going the other way: they are hugely dependent on Ferdinand and Rooney, but no number of Carling Cup medals is going to sate their ambition"

now these are class :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Great stuff Eoininho, if i could see that article it'd be great, sounds like it'll be good for a laugh. This guy writing for the Guardian must be so embarrassed now lol
I emailed the guy at the link at bottom of aticle, asking if he feels embarased by the article, be interesting to see if I get a reply. Its up there with Hansen saying we'll win nothing with kids, the season Beckham and co broke through:wacko:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I must say 03-06 were relatively dark years.

Mourinho's Porto, the Kleberson-Richardson-Djemba Djemba
years, the Glazers, Roy Keane leaving in mid season,
Ronaldo of today -quality +dives. Wayne Rooney's
emergence was the only bright side, Vidic, Evra and Ronaldo
all sort of came out in 06/07, Even Heinze who, yes easy
to say now, never really caught my eye as much as he did
others, always found him a very cruel player, Alan Smith,
Tim Howard (who isn't doing too bad right now), David
Bellion, Fletcher's awful performances (Roy Keane never lies).

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I must say 03-06 were relatively dark years.
Dark years for a glory hunter, yes...:whistling::rofl:

The only reason it was a dark time was the massive amounts of success we had been given previously. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that had we had the best player in the world at the time ('dinho) partnering with Roy Keane and Scholes, behind RVN it might have been a bit different.

Dark times indeed.:rofl:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Dark years for a glory hunter, yes...:whistling::rofl:

The only reason it was a dark time was the massive amounts of success we had been given previously. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that had we had the best player in the world at the time ('dinho) partnering with Roy Keane and Scholes, behind RVN it might have been a bit different.

Dark times indeed.:rofl:
Ok, instead of being funny why don't you read my post.

I said RELATIVELY dark years. They weren't dark years
for me, I was in Ibiza in 04 and spent six months in Prague
at the end of 05.

And, yes, Utd supporters do get spoiled a bit, 3 years without
a Premiership is a dream for a few other teams (Liverpool).

However, those were the days when Fergie would be getting
it from all sides, even some Utd fans were calling for his head.

They were dark times when compared to the years preceding
and succeeding them.

So don't try and be smart.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I emailed the guy at the link at bottom of aticle, asking if he feels embarased by the article, be interesting to see if I get a reply. Its up there with Hansen saying we'll win nothing with kids, the season Beckham and co broke through:wacko:
He replied and said ''of course i do, just as i feel very happy about the predictions i got right

''

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Ok, instead of being funny why don't you read my post.

I said RELATIVELY dark years. They weren't dark years
for me, I was in Ibiza in 04 and spent six months in Prague
at the end of 05.

And, yes, Utd supporters do get spoiled a bit, 3 years without
a Premiership is a dream for a few other teams (Liverpool).

However, those were the days when Fergie would be getting
it from all sides, even some Utd fans were calling for his head.

They were dark times when compared to the years preceding
and succeeding them.

So don't try and be smart.
Sheesh, sounds like I hit a sensitive spot. It isn't so fun to be called a glory hunter, is it? ;)

Yes, our younger fans are extremely spoiled and at times I wonder what it will be like in the future, as I doubt it will be possible to continue to run we have had the past 20 years.

The people that were calling for Fergie's head are ones who might be better suited with your beloved "glory hunter" tag, not foreigners. ;)

And why don't you want me to be smart? Rather me stay at your level? :mf_tongue:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts