Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article to say the least.

Although Berbatov comes with a hefty price tag and a big reputation, and has yet to produce what was expected, I do think perhaps such a bold statement is a bit premature. But this player is certainly worth to watch out for this season.

4sportsake

Manchester United's Berbatov or Wigan's Amr Zaki? I know who I'd choose.

Anyone who watched the Manchester City game at Wigan yesterday will have seen one of the best displays of forward play that has been given in a very long time.

It wasn’t the amazing talent of City’s Robinho, or Jo, or Wright-Phillips, or Elano. It wasn’t the old war horse Emile Heskey. The wonderful performance came from Wigan striker Amr Zaki who gave City’s Richard Dunne and Micah Richards their most torrid afternoon since they formed their exceptional partnership.

Zaki played with incredible energy and passion. He chased every ball and gave the City back four no time to relax at all. He was exceptional on the ball, almost scoring a quite wonderful goal near the end of the game, and his movement off the ball was as good as anything I have seen.

The penalty he easily converted was his fifth premier league goal of the season and he is quickly becoming a challenger for the best buy of the summer award. He is on a season long loan, but Wigan are hopeful of completing a permanent deal in due course.

Zaki is twenty-five and has spent his whole career in Egypt other than one season with Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 where he never made a first team appearance.

He has two African Cup of Nations winners medals with Egypt, for whom he has the tremendous record of scoring twenty-nine times in forty-eight appearances.

I had heard that Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan had compared Zaki to Alan Shearer by saying,

“When you look at this lad and his build, he is the same height, weight, everything about him, he is like Alan Shearer. He has the same confidence when he gets the ball, he knows where the goal is, he doesn't need to look up, he has this instinct. Strikers like that have an instinct as to where the goal is. You can't describe it, you can't give it to anybody.”

Prior to yesterday, I thought that Whelan was getting a bit carried away. Having watched Zaki for ninety minutes, I now think that the comparison is entirely right and proper. Steve Bruce worked very hard to get the player to Wigan and it is now pretty obvious why he did. Have you ever seen Richard Dunne being pushed and pulled around the way he was yesterday?

The only problem Steve Bruce might have is that if Zaki carries on like he is, he might find that the price has gone up a little come the end of the season.

Look at the work rate, goal threat and team play that Zaki produced yesterday and compare it to what the multi-million pound striker Dimitar Berbatov, produced on Saturday and explain to me why the latter named player is worth so much more....

by GrahamFisher

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
i saw that match too and was very impressed with Zaki and immediately regretted not buying him for my Fantasy Football team.

Strong, fast and full of energy. Also able to find the net.

What's not to like.

HOWEVER, I have to say that Dimitar Berbatov played as a lone striker several times at Spurs and gave a masterclass every time he did.

We haven't seen the best of berba yet and he's still snapping out of his "unhappy of spurs" mode.

If fergie had bought Zaki everybody would have been moaning.

Let's wait a few more months before handing out the awards.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
i should have bought Zaki for my fantasy footie instead of Santa Cruz or Rooney :rolleyes:

and as million muppets said about Huntelaar UNPROVEN he comes a striker whos not only unproven he is probably UNKOWN and never even played in a europien team
look at him the EPL topgoal scorer who didn't cost Wigan any piny and who moves as the likes of Evra Rooney etc.. despite his large body

Good one Bruce you get all of my voted to be Fergie successor :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
agree with some things am not the biggest berbatov fan think the guy need to sort his attitude out and then the footie will will come , but SAF is a master at getting the best out of players so sure he will go to work on him.

as for zaki was well impressed , however whoever wrote the article should maybe re-write it again at the end of the season maybe in 18 months time. how many times have we seen players come into the english game score lots of goals,play brilliantly-have evryone raving about there performances only for them to dissappear from view. if he does for the rest of the season( and into next) he will be a great target, but am not getting to carried away yet..seen too many players burst onto the scene and be the next big thing..some make it -most don't

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
scottsati said:
agree with some things am not the biggest berbatov fan think the guy need to sort his attitude out and then the footie will will come , but SAF is a master at getting the best out of players so sure he will go to work on him.

as for zaki was well impressed , however whoever wrote the article should maybe re-write it again at the end of the season maybe in 18 months time. how many times have we seen players come into the english game score lots of goals,play brilliantly-have evryone raving about there performances only for them to dissappear from view. if he does for the rest of the season( and into next) he will be a great target, but am not getting to carried away yet..seen too many players burst onto the scene and be the next big thing..some make it -most don't[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Not only foreigners though, because some English strikers are guilty of that too.
One season wonders, if you will.

I guess if the transfer fee was low then a wonder season wonder, who can contribute meaningfully after that is alright, but I personally prefer someone who will contribute season after season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
abojodeh said:
i should have bought Zaki for my fantasy footie instead of Santa Cruz or Rooney :rolleyes:

and as million muppets said about Huntelaar UNPROVEN he comes a striker whos not only unproven he is probably UNKOWN and never even played in a europien team
look at him the EPL topgoal scorer who didn't cost Wigan any piny
and who moves as the likes of Evra Rooney etc.. despite his large body

Good one Bruce you get all of my voted to be Fergie successor :)

Good call. you know whenever the berba camp was using that as a factor, i found it so lame and they all could only name , Shevchenko, Kezman and Kuyt. To me that's more a problem with chelski and Liverpoo than with the players! :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
he played really well.. fast dribbler.. he really made wigan better
team. along with his mate valencia, the attacking from the side
makes the team won last game against ciddeh.. really want to see
from him more. He could be a star in the future!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Good call. you know whenever the berba camp was using that as a factor, i found it so lame and they all could only name , Shevchenko, Kezman and Kuyt. To me that's more a problem with chelski and Liverpoo than with the players! :D
exactly they used Liverpool and Chelsea flops as examples
and we all know that even Tevez would have flopped if he joined Chelsea/Liverpool :rolleyes: :D

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
abojodeh said:
exactly they used Liverpool and Chelsea flops as examples
and we all know that even Tevez would have flopped if he joined Chelsea/Liverpool :rolleyes: :D
Another moment of brilliance from Abo. :eek: :)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Too bad for Wigan, if he carries on like this, one of the bigger clubs will come in for him, as well as Valencia and Palacios. I feel sorry for them..they'll have a hell of a time holding on to their best players.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
i saw that match too and was very impressed with Zaki and immediately regretted not buying him for my Fantasy Football team.

lol, I bought him at the start when he cost just 6.0 ;)
and thats why Im in joint first maybe :D

Anyway, back to the main man Zaki....
I talked about him in the Prem thread. He is an awesome player, who seems to
have it all. Didnt see him play his club football up till this season, but saw him
in the African cup of Nations where he was instrumental in Egypt winning it
twice in a row. He' s strong, powerful, fast, confident, 2 good feet, a battler, the lot.
top top player and if hje stays injury free could get 25-30 goals this season.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jazz 16 said:
lol, I bought him at the start when he cost just 6.0
and thats why Im in joint first maybe

Anyway, back to the main man Zaki....
I talked about him in the Prem thread. He is an awesome player, who seems to
have it all. Didnt see him play his club football up till this season, but saw him
in the African cup of Nations where he was instrumental in Egypt winning it
twice in a row. He' s strong, powerful, fast, confident, 2 good feet, a battler, the lot.
top top player and if hje stays injury free could get 25-30 goals this season.
A great, great prospect from the look of things but "unproven" in EPL before the season kicked off. :rolleyes: :D ;)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
At the start of the season someone made a thread for this summers best signing.
I went for Zaki and i think it was a good choice!
I love seen players like that come from nowhere, he has everything you need for a premiership player. Good find Bruce

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
steve bruce said before the start of the season that he will be PL top goal scorer.. he said he saw him play in the africain cup of nations and he was pushing the other teams around and you have to be strong to be pushing africain players.. what he said is true and he may be the PL top goal scorer if he stays this consistent which will be tough

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Zaki discovery is a Brucie bonus
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4217905,00.html

Steve Bruce believes Amr Zaki's all-action style is a throwback to a bygone era in English football after his inspirational displays for Wigan.

Zaki scored the winning goal from the penalty spot at the JJB Stadium against Manchester City on Sunday to put himself top of the Premier League goalscoring charts and impressed with his aggression and tireless running.

And Latics boss Bruce is confident the Egypt international, who has found the net fives times in six games for Latics, will continue to win over supporters up and down the country with his performances.

"I said at the start of the season that Zaki is something a bit different which people might not have seen before and he put in a fantastic performance," Bruce said.

"If he keeps playing like that he is going to be a real handful for any defender and have a real future in the Premier League.

"He is already an asset for us. I don't mean it disrespectfully to the old-fashioned English centre-forward but he is an English-style centre-forward which you don't really see anymore.

"His physique is great, he has awesome power and pace and of course he wants to score goals which is the important thing.

"He is refreshing and is a delight to work with and he will be beaming tonight and rightly so.

"Amr is going to be a real fans favourite. Every supporter - whether you support Wigan or you support Man City - loves a trier who gives everything that he has got.

"And that is the one thing about Zaki he gives you every last drop he has got.

"So you can forgive everything, he might make a mistake or give the ball away and he does that at times. But I can't question his attitude."

Bruce confirmed difficulties with the language can sometimes be an issue with Zaki and the other foreign players in his cosmopolitan squad.

Bruce added: "That [language] is biggest flaw with them - everything you see with them is off the cuff but you don't want to spoil that to give yourself a better defensive shape at times.

"I may as well talk to the wall - even if Amr speaks it I don't think he will be able to do it anyway.

"Some of them haven't come from wealthy countries, Honduras and Egypt and Ecuador, and they have an unbelievable appetite for the game.

"But it's a delight to manage them with such hunger and appetite. They want to do well and it is fantastic to be associated with them."

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Bruce still confident of[highlight] Zaki[/highlight] capture

Steve Bruce is confident that Wigan Athletic can seal a permanent deal for striker [highlight]Amr Zaki[/highlight].

The manager has previously stressed that the Latics were optimistic about securing the Egyptian's long-term services. He has made these latest declarations despite [highlight]Zaki's[/highlight] impressive start in the Barclays Premier League attracting the attention of other clubs.

Bruce secured a season-long loan for [highlight]Zaki[/highlight] from Egyptian side El Zamalek and the 25-year-old immediately made an impact at the JJB Stadium.

[highlight]Zaki[/highlight] has scored five league goals since joining Wigan and also netted in their Carling Cup win over Notts County in August.

But Bruce is hopeful that a deal can be done to keep the Egyptian at Wigan and see him continue to make an impact in the Barclays Premier League.

more expensive

"There is an agreement in principle with his club," Bruce said. "There is a lot of the season to go, so there is no rush.

"[highlight]Zaki[/highlight] is ours at the moment, so let's enjoy it while we can. We will try to set up a deal when the time is right.

"We're in pole position to sign the lad because he's here at the moment.

"It's a double-edged sword - the better he does here, the more expensive he will be."

Bruce also revealed that he did not expect [highlight]Zaki[/highlight] to adapt to Barclays Premier League life so quickly, but is in no doubt that he will continue to improve.

"I've got to say [highlight]Zaki[/highlight] has started better than we thought he would," added Bruce. "We brought him here because we thought he could make an impact and we're delighted because he's certainly done that.

"There's a long way to go yet, a long winter ahead. Hopefully he'll continue how he has been doing."

·
Registered
2 Posts
what is your opinion about the lion amr zaki

i want manunited to take tis player he will
score alot of goals with manchester

i am hamaki from egypt and we love zaki and manunited
i want to know your opinion about him

( Plaease note..getty images are not allowed to be posted on here. Thanks. SALFORD RED )

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
he has had a good season so far and thats not just down to playing with heskey . time will tell as often players look good until opponants suss them out -- lets see what he is doing in march/april then see if he still shines

1 - 20 of 20 Posts