Manchester United Talk banner

1121 - 1140 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Would Athletic take it?
Pff... With Urrutia in charge, I highly doubt it to be honest. But it's also true that Ander is not playing too much this year, so they shouldn't ask the same as last summer, in my opinion.
He's going to play tonight, it seems. Let's see how it performs. But there's something strange in him not playing every minute this year... It's benching your teams best player, I don't know...

·
shipcanal
773 Posts
If I remember correctly the first time I saw him he got a "hand of God" goal for Spain under 21s or 18s. Not entirely convinced he's what we need,Has he been dropped because he wants out or because of a dip in form ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ander Herrera extremely keen on Manchester United move

Manchester United and Athletic Bilbao have maintained dialogue about Ander Herrera this year and the midfielder is ‘extremely keen’ to move, according to The Telegraph.

The 24-year-old’s transfer to Old Trafford collapsed on deadline day because of a disagreement on how much he was really worth as United weren’t prepared to pay his full €36 million release clause.

The Telegraph have maintained that dialogue between the clubs has been left open and Herrera is still extremely keen on the move despite the failures of our bid to secure him in the summer.

However, if United go back in for Herrera, the issue of his valuation will be an even bigger problem. Given that United baulked at the €36 million release clause off the back of a brilliant season, why would they now feel he is worth that price tag after an indecisive season so far? If anything, his stock has decreased this year. Herrera has only completed the full 90 minutes on one occasion this season and has struggled in the absence of Marcelo Bielsa’s footballing philosophy since his departure. Instead,

One thing was abundantly obvious before kick-off against Swansea on the opening day of the season – Marouane Fellaini wasn’t enough to bring our midfield up to scratch and so it has proved. Even with Michael Carrick in the side, we desperately lack the creativity of a ball playing central midfielder like Herrera.

source: http://thepeoplesperson.com/ander-herrera-extremely-keen-on-manchester-united-move/

January signings are certainly plausible this year after the failures of the summer. If Herrera is indeed extremely keen, then the only stumbling block would be whether David Moyes and Ed Woodward feel he was now worth that much money to the team.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Imagine how different it would have been if that trasfer was through on the deadline day. However it can still make a difference if signed to start off from the new year day itself.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
If he's struggling in the absence of Bielsa's fluid philosophy then lord knows how he'd struggle here.

I've never been hugely behind this signing, it always seemed that the only reason people were is because he's a Spanish CM and because he's supposedly better than what we have. If it were to happen then yes, he should be an upgrade over Cleverley. Anything would be, but I don't think that's enough to justify the speculated fee. There are better alternatives that you could probably get for less, that would suit our style better too.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
If he's struggling in the absence of Bielsa's fluid philosophy then lord knows how he'd struggle here.

I've never been hugely behind this signing, it always seemed that the only reason people were is because he's a Spanish CM and because he's supposedly better than what we have. If it were to happen then yes, he should be an upgrade over Cleverley. Anything would be, but I don't think that's enough to justify the speculated fee. There are better alternatives that you could probably get for less, that would suit our style better too.
Fellaini seemed like a perfect fit for 'our style' of play. Look how that turned out.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

I don't believe he's struggling because of the change of philosophy. He played pretty well the first three or four matches, he was the best in those games. But the problem came when he didn't end up in United the 31st of August. He's been constantly dropped from the team without apparent reason, and he's been given a small amount of time when losing on the road, has been dropped at home... And I honestly can't see the reason why he hasn't played in the home games where we've started losing and the team seem to have no soul and no football. There's no logical explanation, if it's not that he's being punished or penalized for telling them he wanted to leave. It's really unexplainable to me, if it's not because of that. He played pretty well yesterday, but he has to get to where he was before being benched... He will in a couple matches.

I totally agree with you about the rest. I think he's an upgrade, but I don't think he's a 35M upgrade. If we could sign him for less than that, something around 22M, I'd maybe go for it... But god knows.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Fellaini seemed like a perfect fit for 'our style' of play. Look how that turned out.
I don't think we have any type of style right now. If we should sign anybody who fits our style we would be buying bananas and avocados

I think next season we will see where Moyes is heading in terms of the football he wants us to play. The fact we were in for Herrera and Fabregas is a good sign IMO

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think we have any type of style right now. If we should sign anybody who fits our style we would be buying bananas and avocados

I think next season we will see where Moyes is heading in terms of the football he wants us to play. The fact we were in for Herrera and Fabregas is a good sign IMO[/

I think we are in no mans land in terms of our style ,i havent seen anything significant in our football to suggest Moyes is moulding the team to his style , we seem very disjointed in every department , if it werent for Rooney s form this would be even more glalringly obvious , i think the fans would be alot more forgiven if we could see a clear indication of what Moyes is trying to impliment , maybe we dont have the players to play how he wants ??

·
Registered
426 Posts
Enough said..

Ander Herrera confirms he has no desire to join Manchester United

Ander Herrera has quashed speculation linking him with a move to Manchester United by stating that he is exactly where he wants to be with Athletic Bilbao and is in the perfect place for his career right now.

The 24-year-old was subject to a deadline day transfer saga this summer that included ‘imposter agents’, rejected bids and endless discussion that ultimately led to the transfer falling through.

David Moyes was reportedly keen on the midfielder this January and The Telegraph believed Herrera was still personally keen on a move but speaking at a press conference, he has now put an end to the prospect of him moving to Old Trafford at this stage.http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/88302/ander-herrera-silences-transfer-rumors-by-pledging-loyalty-to-athletic-club-bilbao/

“I appreciate both Manchester United’s interest in me and the fact that I am considered so important to Athletic that they did not accept any bid for me,” he said.

“That means that Athletic values me above money and trust in me more than money for our current project. I’m right where I want to be. I’m not a player who wants to change teams, I’ve taken root at Athletic and it is the perfect place for me to be.

“We have a very good coach. He is a consistent manager and good person. Athletic is going to be very successful under him.”

United’s move for Herrera fell through because Moyes didn’t feel he was worth his full €36 million release clause and Bilbao’s firm stance on not accepting any bid lower than that looks to have buoyed Herrera’s confidence.

Although he has endured a frustrating season with Bilbao thanks to the departure of coach Marco Bielsa and the arrival of new central midfielders, it seems he is happy to stay and fight for his place but in all reality, a move in January was never likely by Moyes.

If he felt he wasn’t worth €36 million after a brilliant season, it wouldn’t make sense to then pay that only a few months later after he has had an indifferent period in Spain.

Of course, Herrera’s stance may change by next summer but for right now, his proposed move to Old Trafford looks dead in the water.

source: http://thepeoplesperson.com/ander-herrera-confirms-he-has-no-desire-to-join-manchester-united/

1121 - 1140 of 1151 Posts