Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not made a new thread in a while and this aint much of a thread but i was just thinking about the serbs united have signed in Tosic and adem ljacic and how adem (the bigger prospect of the two apparently) is being kept in serbia for whatever reasons. Is it to further continue his development instead of it being stagnated in england in the reserves as he is so young or was it really just about the work permit?

Anyway i was just thinking about what do you think would have been better for anderson? He was becoming a real star player at porto and united took him and basically all the attacking flair he had in him (which made united buy him and everyone aware of him) which made be touted as the next ronaldinho has been taken away. Like we don't simply see it at all and instead he was a box to box midfielder last year and this season is simply a playmaker, just taking the ball and moving it on to the next person.

So this brings me to the question...

Do you think we should possibly have left anderson at porto for another whole season before we brought him to OT?

As in let him stay their and further develop as he looked to be really coming into his own there before bringing him here.

Or do you think united did the right thing in bringing him to OT straight away?

Because he and hargo really kept united solid for a while in the midfield in the first half of the season imo but he seems a different player to one we signed. Very different infact. Also maybe we would not have won the champions league last season if we did not have players like ando to keep the squad strong, so naturally there are arguments for both.

I just wondered what you all thought though and if you have ever thought of this before. The adem staying in serb for the time being and how andersons natural flair is being lost so early in his career got me thinking!!

pz!:cool:

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
anderson has gone backwards big style imo .

portugal is a lot easier league to shine in though than ours as i am sure is case with serbia.

the not scoring from open play with anderson is getting beyond a joke now ,

nani is another from portugal that hasnt come on as well --- maybe carlos would have improved both if he stayed ,

i think adem will be more like evra and vidic success wise when he does come however .

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anderson has gone backwards big style imo .

portugal is a lot easier league to shine in though than ours as i am sure is case with serbia.

the not scoring from open play with anderson is getting beyond a joke now ,

nani is another from portugal that hasnt come on as well --- maybe carlos would have improved both if he stayed ,

i think adem will be more like evra and vidic success wise when he does come however .
The carlos thing is an interesting theory because he seemed good with young players from abroad such as ronaldo. I dont think anderson has gone backwards 'big style' like you say imo but i do think he is changing far to much as a player to the one we initially thought we were getting.

I agree being able to shine in portugal is easier than england but do not forget, alot of great players have come from portugal...such as deco who was great both for porto and barca. Also i never meant by him staying there it would have been good because he would stand out, i just mean, with the style of football they play and how they used him, it was basically made for him to be the attacking player. Staying there for another season would have possibly sharpened his attacking skills abit more imo. Especially as he was becoming the star and with them still playing champions league football, he was that player that was creating and required to be the threat. Plus less pressure and maybe more freedom, MIGHT have made him more better in his attacking efficiency which seems to have gone backwards since he has come here.

I am a big ando fan, i love his style of football but when i see him and what he has done and his potential on the pitch, i get the feeling, with some more courage and urgency, he could do so much more! :cool:

I wish he does score soon!!

Top top potential imo still but he was showing up players like gerrard and fabregas last year but he is becoming less and less adventurous imo.

The carlos thing u said it an interesting theory too!

pz! :cool:

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
maybe berbatov has affected the team dynamic more than we realise ?

we seem to be a lot more flowing without him starting , yet we are if anything more difficult to beat than ever when he is involved

ronaldo rooney and berba may phase ando into thinking all he need do is break up play and feed it to them .

ronaldo seems to be going to flanks more than usual as well maybe down to berba being where he was running last season ?

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe berbatov has affected the team dynamic more than we realise ?

we seem to be a lot more flowing without him starting , yet we are if anything more difficult to beat than ever when he is involved

ronaldo rooney and berba may phase ando into thinking all he need do is break up play and feed it to them .

ronaldo seems to be going to flanks more than usual as well maybe down to berba being where he was running last season ?
I agree we do seem alot more structured this season than we have for the last two. Berbatov and ronaldo i also agree about seemingly running into each others channels at times.

Also i get that feeling too that ando just decides he will give it to the other players you mentioned as soon as he gets it but i think with his potential he should try and do abit more himself. Like believe in his ability because he has loads imo. Dribble past a player, do some skill, do something silly out there lol. Its part of how you progress from a young player to a seasoned pro imo. You learn from mistakes and perfect the things you're really good at. For example, Ronaldo, he did so many more skills when he was 18-19 but now, he does less skills but the ones he has perfected and knows how to use them.

I think anderson should try some stuff now and again too...But then we're under show much pressure to succeed, can it be he is scared to try stuff because if it does not come off straight away (which usually nothing ever does) than he may be scared to be dropped.

Thats why i was asking if anyone thinks that maybe we took anderson a season to early or if you think we got it spot on with him. Only time will tell. I believe whatever role he plays for united, he will do great because he is so good naturally but i think personally, he has so much more potential to do more!

I completey agree with the post you just made.

BTW i am not being critical of united or bashing players at all here because i wont often bash united players, i prefer to defend most but im just interested in peoples theories. At the end of the day, we could possibly be winning 5-6 trophies this season lmao so who am i to question fergie and i am not actually doing that. Im just thinking if anderson should be a different player to the one he is now and would staying at porto for another year of helped him develop!! :D

...just incase people think im player bashing...Anderson is one my favourite newer united players!!

pz!!:police:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Anderson hasn't played that much this season, he had alot of gametime last season and i thought he was great, since Berbatov's arrival, the team has changed everthing, Anderson is a very good player he deserves more time on the pitch, he will end up leaving if Ferguson doesn't use him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think it's the right move that he came to United straight away.
He started fantastically well and had Fabregas and Gerrard in his pocket
in those first few big games. His game will improve here (eventually)
cos he is playing with world class players both on the pitch and in training.

As Hags said, his form has been poor and his progression has stagnated,
since last March if we are being honest. Sometimes it takes an injury
and a bit of time out of the team to make a player wake up and smell the coffee.
Maybe he goes out too much at night and his mind is elsewhere.

We tried to figure out what was wrong with him a while back:
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/17776-anderson.html
I think his lack of a goal is becoming a joke, as Hags said again,
and is denting his confidence, but since he came back from injury recently
he has looked quick, sharp and ready for action.

He will be a important squad player for us this season, but he needs to improve
pronto if he wants to think about making the CM spot his own for next year.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've not made a new thread in a while and this aint much of a thread but i was just thinking about the serbs united have signed in Tosic and adem ljacic and how adem (the bigger prospect of the two apparently) is being kept in serbia for whatever reasons. Is it to further continue his development instead of it being stagnated in england in the reserves as he is so young or was it really just about the work permit?

Anyway i was just thinking about what do you think would have been better for anderson? He was becoming a real star player at porto and united took him and basically all the attacking flair he had in him (which made united buy him and everyone aware of him) which made be touted as the next ronaldinho has been taken away. Like we don't simply see it at all and instead he was a box to box midfielder last year and this season is simply a playmaker, just taking the ball and moving it on to the next person.

So this brings me to the question...

Do you think we should possibly have left anderson at porto for another whole season before we brought him to OT?

As in let him stay their and further develop as he looked to be really coming into his own there before bringing him here.

Or do you think united did the right thing in bringing him to OT straight away?

Because he and hargo really kept united solid for a while in the midfield in the first half of the season imo but he seems a different player to one we signed. Very different infact. Also maybe we would not have won the champions league last season if we did not have players like ando to keep the squad strong, so naturally there are arguments for both.

I just wondered what you all thought though and if you have ever thought of this before. The adem staying in serb for the time being and how andersons natural flair is being lost so early in his career got me thinking!!

It is wong to made a comparation between Anderson and Ljajic.Ljajic still waits his work permit.He must play for Serbia if he wants to play for United.And he'll play for Serbia only if he plays good in Partizan.

With Anderson situation is different.He is already one of the best players in world in his position,he is young and he'll be just better and better,with enoungh experience.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
With Anderson situation is different.He is already one of the best players in world in his position,he is young and he'll be just better and better,with enoungh experience.
Anderson is definitely a good player but I wouldn't say that he is one of the best atm in the world. He can be, he is still young and in the best club in the world. He is not having the best season, maybe due to his injuries, but I expected to see a little bit more from him this season

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I've been quite disappointed in the way we have seen Anderson play since he came here tbh. Obviously, he has had some fantastic games and his first season was definitely a great one.

However, when he signed we all believed we were getting an attacking midfielder, and he was even touted as the replacement for Paul Scholes. However, he's played mostly more defensively, and his driving runs and attacking play we saw early on in his United career seem to have disappeared. Whether that is down to form or that he or the management have changed his style I don't know, but hopefully it returns.

I really hope that we develop his attacking play more.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think that Anderson is played out of position,
I know some will tell you that he outplayed
Gerrard, Fabregas and Lampard but I think they
cancelled eachother out more than anything.

The few times Anderson played in the hole he
impressed me, maybe he should do so a bit
more frequently
But that involves being more attacking and his shooting is atrocious.
Id like to see him played on the left of midfield. He is great defensively and could do
what Park does pretty well I think. Or else just have him in CM.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Is he great defensively?

The only thing which he excels in
is through balls for me, which is why I'd
like to see him playing in the hole with
through balls to the more attacking players,
creating space and the like and hell if we're
winning 3-0 maybe he could try and make
it 4-0 every now and again.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Is he great defensively?

The only thing which he excels in
is through balls for me, which is why I'd
like to see him playing in the hole with
through balls to the more attacking players,
creating space and the like and hell if we're
winning 3-0 maybe he could try and make
it 4-0 every now and again.
No I wouldnt say he is 'great' defensively but he can definitely put in a shift.
Through balls??? I happen to think his passing (including through balls) has been
pretty poor this season. He mucks up a fair few in most games to be fair.

I think his strength is his ability to turn and run away from midfielders, making surging runs
in the middle of the park. He has a great engine and is good at tracking back ie being defensively sound.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
PeeJay I agree with your first post, Anderson has been played out of position as a defensive mid pretty much since he joined us, it also looks to me like he's very limited by Ferguson, he hasn't got the necessary freedom to burst forward like we know he's capable of.

He isn't 'great' defensively, but he's very good. His strength, pace and tackling in particular, and since he joined his tactical game has improved alot thus his positioning as a DM is better.

The only problem I have with Anderson playing DM, is simply the fact that it's a waste of attacking talent, pace, dribbling, strength, passing.

Whoever mentioned Anderson playing left wing, I think that could be a good idea - as you said, he'd do Park's job but add much more flair etc.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I think he's not aware enough to make those runs,
he's good at them but he'll either end it with a dismal
shot, losing the ball or a weak pass. He enjoys the slower
game, similar to Riquelme. I think that he'd be good in
a 4-5-1 formation with two wingers, Fletcher and Hargeaves
in DM and Anderson sitting behind a striker. I know with
Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov and a good lot of promising young
strikers it's improbable but that's where I think he'd be at his best.

With him lining up balls for two wingers and a striker I think
we'd do well.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
But that involves being more attacking and his shooting is atrocious.
Id like to see him played on the left of midfield. He is great defensively and could do
what Park does pretty well I think. Or else just have him in CM.
To be fair, I think his shooting has improved a lot this season (though his overall performnces, bar his last few, have been poor.)

He now hits the target atleast 30% of the time, rather than 0.1% like last season.

Anderson was never a goal threat though, even in his Porto days.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Anderson played pretty much one season for Porto. I personally don't think that's enough to justify the values payed for him, quality player or not. Pretty much the same can be said about Nani. I think SAF moved too fast, maybe fearing to loose a new Ronaldo. However, Ronaldo had one major advantadge neither Anderson nor Nani had. He had an open spot in the starting 11, with beckam leaving.

Queiroz might have provided some help, adjusting, and he's always been good with youth developing (2 youth world cups for Portugal), but I still think SAF jumped the gun. Probably the best would have been a quiet deal for them in the following year, and leave them in place, let them develop more, let them prove their worth.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anderson played pretty much one season for Porto. I personally don't think that's enough to justify the values payed for him, quality player or not. Pretty much the same can be said about Nani. I think SAF moved too fast, maybe fearing to loose a new Ronaldo. However, Ronaldo had one major advantadge neither Anderson nor Nani had. He had an open spot in the starting 11, with beckam leaving.

Queiroz might have provided some help, adjusting, and he's always been good with youth developing (2 youth world cups for Portugal), but I still think SAF jumped the gun. Probably the best would have been a quiet deal for them in the following year, and leave them in place, let them develop more, let them prove their worth.
Hey mate are there any other top talents from brazil or portugal coming up in porto or lisbon right now who could be 'big' so to speak?!? :D

Z

·
0 Posts
If we'd have left him in Portugal for another year we might not have won the double last season. His early season form meant that when Scholes was out injured for a couple of months it was hardly noticeable. As for him possibly progressing by staying a Porto, I'm not convinced. You only become the best by playing and training with the best, and that's what he's doing right now. I'm also not convinced he was ever going to be 'the new Ronaldinho', the lad couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

There's nothing stopping him getting forward a lot more than he does. All of our midfielders have always been given license to make runs into the box when we're attacking, but he doesn't seem to have that desire in him. I've only seen bits of what he did at Gremio and Porto, so I can't really make a proper judgement on whether or not he's gone 'backwards' in terms of his development, but I think he's a natural born box to box midfielder and that's all he'll ever be. I hope I'm wrong and that once he gets his first goal the floodgates will be open, but I don't see that killer instinct in him at the moment.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Hey mate are there any other top talents from brazil or portugal coming up in porto or lisbon right now who could be 'big' so to speak?!? :D

lisbon? Who the hell are those?? there's one club with the city's name in it, and that's them others, sport Lisboa e benfica.

WE are Sporting Clube de Portugal.

Anyways, new talent...? Don't know... Maybe...:whistling:

If we'd have left him in Portugal for another year we might not have won the double last season. His early season form meant that when Scholes was out injured for a couple of months it was hardly noticeable. As for him possibly progressing by staying a Porto, I'm not convinced. You only become the best by playing and training with the best, and that's what he's doing right now. I'm also not convinced he was ever going to be 'the new Ronaldinho', the lad couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
That playing bit is my key point. I get where you're coming from, but to grow, one needs to play, and they have done little of that. On his shooting bit, he never was a goalscorer. I think he scored twice at porto, so...

As for that bit about the double last season, who knows? It would have been their 1st season, but who knows what might have happened? Remember, Queiroz left at the end, so he would still be there to help them integrate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts