Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because of the Olympics!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7494600.stm

Barcelona's Ronaldinho and Real Madrid forward Robinho will lead Brazil's assault on a first Olympic football gold in Beijing in August.

Manchester United midfielder Anderson is one of three Premier League players selected in the 18-man squad.

Manchester City's new record signing Jo, Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva and Anderson will all miss the start of the new season.


The Olympics is the only significant title Brazil have never won.

The Brazilians won the silver medal twice, in 1984 in Los Angeles and 1988 in Seoul and they won the bronze in 1996 in Atlanta.

Brazil are in Group C with Belgium, China and New Zealand and begin their campaign on 8 August against Belgium.

Coach Dunga picked Fluminense defender Thiago Silva as the third player older than 23 in the squad, in addition to Ronaldinho and Robinho.

"The experience factor can be decisive in the Olympics," Dunga said.

"That's why several players born in 1985 were chosen, and even the youngsters already have international experience."

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Almeria), Renan (Internacional). Defenders: Ilsinho (Shakhtar Donetsk), Rafinha (Shalke), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Silva (Sao Paulo), Breno (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Fluminense).
Midfielders: Anderson (Manchester United), Diego (Werder Bremen); Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Lucas (Liverpool), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Thiago Neves (Fluminense).
Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Jo (Manchester City), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,099 Posts
yeah. a shame. but wish him all the best! hopes he finds form in olympics and continue it when he comes back. hopefully he dont get injured too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
never mind.........he will grab an experience in international football.......dont worry because we have 3 englishman ready and fit for new bpl season....scholes, carrick and hargreaves...................................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
This is a huge loss. I was cogitating his dazzling performance from the very beginning. He is much much better than carrick and hargreaves. A lighting quick quality in midfield that man utd lack for years. Hope he will acquire some great experiences from international arena and his skill will be more hone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Shaon said:
This is a huge loss. I was cogitating his dazzling performance from the very beginning. He is much much better than carrick and hargreaves. A lighting quick quality in midfield that man utd lack for years. Hope he will acquire some great experiences from international arena and his skill will be more hone.
Carrick and Hargreaves play a completely different game to Anderson.

You can't really say one is better than the other, especially after you've only seen Anderson for one season.

At least Tevez isn't going!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Stephen said:
Carrick and Hargreaves play a completely different game to Anderson.

You can't really say one is better than the other, especially after you've only seen Anderson for one season.

At least Tevez isn't going!
True that manners of their playing and position are different. As a avid fan of Red Devils, I want to see world class players in man utd. Anderson is of that quality. I don't want to mean that carrick and hargreaves are bad. Actully I am passionate about Anderson. He is fast,lighting quick and his passing ability is awesome. May be I have shown my ardor feeling by comparing them with Anderson. Don't take it a solemn matter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Shaon said:
True that manners of their playing and position are different. As a avid fan of Red Devils, I want to see world class players in man utd. Anderson is of that quality. I don't want to mean that carrick and hargreaves are bad. Actully I am passionate about Anderson. He is fast,lighting quick and his passing ability is awesome. May be I have shown my ardor feeling by comparing them with Anderson. Don't take it a solemn matter.
We have to have either Carrick or hargreaves in the centre to win us the game. Scholes and Anderson cannot do the jobs of a holding midfielder.

Scholes/Anderson and Carrick/Hargreaves.
Or play with 5 across the midfield - which has worked many a time last season.
 

·
Arse Bandito
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
at least by next olympics he'll be over-23 and maybe they wont pick him.
does anyone know if he will do any of our pre-season? if so, then it's not really an issue, because he's getting fit in competitive matches, and hopefully we can survive without him for a bit. just as long as he's back for chelsea/liverpoll :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
God I hate the Olympics :p

We didn't get to see Heinze make his debut until later because he was there, and now we're going to miss Anderson. Good job Tevez isn't going.

Hopefully, he doesn't play many of our pre-season games and then he can get his match fitness playing competitive matches with Brazil.

But I don't actually mind too much. I wish him good luck and hope he does well. Hopefully he hits form and he's on form for coming back.

But we're well covered in central-midfield anyway, and being honest, I expect Carrick and Scholes to start to first game, and then on from there for the next couple of games at least if they don't get injured or suspended.

So, all in all, we wouldn't miss him as much as we would if it was Tevez.

Apparently its the only tournament that Brazil haven't won.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Dissapointing that he won't start with us, but atleast he'll be getting some experience, hopefully he plays most of the games.

We'll be OK with Scholes and Carrick though, plus Hargreaves and Fletcher are available.

Its a good chance for a few players to lay an early claim this season what with Nani suspened for the first game, Ronaldo supposedly out for a bit, Anderson at the olyimpics, plus we're bound to get atleast 1 injury during pre season.

RedAdam said:
at least by next olympics he'll be over-23 and maybe they wont pick him.
does anyone know if he will do any of our pre-season? if so, then it's not really an issue, because he's getting fit in competitive matches, and hopefully we can survive without him for a bit. just as long as he's back for chelsea/liverpoll :)
I'm sure I heard on MUTV that he will be with us up until just before the Community Shield so I think he will be with us virtually all pre season.

Does anyone know how many league games he'll miss if Brazil reach the final?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
i think he misses the games up until the super cup final against Zenit, i think it's three days after the Olympics final. Yes it's a shame but we have a big enough squad and you cannot hold the boy back by the laws of the game but we would have stopped him anyway, lets wish him all the luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Well,we cant blame for wanting to compete in the Olympics.He must feel great knowing that his country called him up for such a big occasion.Hope he scores a screamer!!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top