Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else a bit concerned? He was class in the first half of last season
but his form faded off after March and into this season.

The kid has undoubted class but something seems to be wrong or 'off' with him.
Do you think the lack of a goal has punctured his confidence?
or is it something else?

I still feel he has all the attributes (bar shooting) to really make it at United
but he needs to start playing with more consistency imo.

Thoughts?

·
23,699 Posts
Disappointing that the Youth Player of the Year or something like that has been struggling to even find a seat on the bench after an explosive start to his United career. Noticed this season he would play a game here and there, nothing too impressive to crow about and then not found again in the next game.

Not sure why he is not growing from strength to strength given his talents and power but probably in the reverse direction instead. Another heartache besides That Usual Suspect that starts with letter N.

Hope the rumours about some 'problems' with Fergie is not true. Or that some nocturnal lifestyle might have done some damage.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Every a bit as disappointing as Nani, imo, and rightfully so, they're being kept out of the team by Fletcher and Park. I've given him time so please, don't use that excuse, and when you cost as much as these two did, you have to start providing the goods after a year at least.

I'm sure when Fergie signed him, he had the intention of him being a long-term replacement to Paul Scholes, which means a play-maker's role, but he's anything but that. 95% of his shots are off target, and 75% of his passes are un-amibitious. I expected him to improve with time, but he's gotten worse, to the point where I can't even defend him. I'll give him a season more at best.

Looking at Summer 2007's crop of signings, they actually all pretty much failed. Nani, Hargeaves and Anderson... were supposed to be in our first team right now, and one of them can't find fitness, and the other two are the most frustrating waste of talents I've ever seen. Tevez is the only one who actually succeeded, for a season at least.

When looking at young midfielders in the Premiership, he's probably not even in the top ten, considering Mikel, Fabregas and Nasri amongst others are all performing better than him.

I probably sounded over-dramatic there, but I don't think he's crap, just wasted potential.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Unfortunately, I think it might be his 'nocturnal' activites that are bothering fergie. Anderson was spotted out at night several times and that in his very first season at United at the age of 18.

There was also the incident with the 5 hookers and if i were Fergie I think I'd be concerned about that.

Both Anderson and Nani haven't featured, but whenever Anderson has plaid he's been reliable. Nothing more, nothing less.

He is United material already, but he needs to become serious about football and cut out the partying if he wants to progress.

Fergie rates him highly, as shown in a recent interview where he mentioned Ando in the same breath as Roy keane, but he needs to put in some serious work. Not sure if that will agree with his lifestyle.

So yes, I am not concerned about his ability, but concerned about his determination & seriousness to cultivate his ability.

·
Registered
675 Posts
am not sure myself, at first i told myself let him settle him and score a few goals. no doubt he'll bag a goal soon but its bin a long time and i'm getting worried.

so much for the next scholesy ! :(

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Every a bit as disappointing as Nani, imo, and rightfully so, they're being kept out of the team by Fletcher and Park. I've given him time so please, don't use that excuse, and when you cost as much as these two did, you have to start providing the goods after a year at least.

I'm sure when Fergie signed him, he had the intention of him being a long-term replacement to Paul Scholes, which means a play-maker's role, but he's anything but that. 95% of his shots are off target, and 75% of his passes are un-amibitious. I expected him to improve with time, but he's gotten worse, to the point where I can't even defend him. I'll give him a season more at best.

Looking at Summer 2007's crop of signings, they actually all pretty much failed. Nani, Hargeaves and Anderson... were supposed to be in our first team right now, and one of them can't find fitness, and the other two are the most frustrating waste of talents I've ever seen. Tevez is the only one who actually succeeded, for a season at least.

When looking at young midfielders in the Premiership, he's probably not even in the top ten, considering Mikel, Fabregas and Nasri amongst others are all performing better than him.

I probably sounded over-dramatic there, but I don't think he's crap, just wasted potential.
Agree with the first part of your post, but think the part in bold is exaggerated.

The signings helped us to the double and Anderson has been tidy and reliable apart from the game against Derby.

He had Fabregas and Gerrard in his pocket last season by the way.

The part about his passes bein unambitious is mostly true, but when he's tried to be ambitious he's been poor this season, which is actually a backward step, because he was able to pull of sime nice, creative passes last season.

He was supposed to be an attacking midfielder, but has so far not developed the attacking side of his game and seems too reluctant to do so.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good responses there lads. cheers.

I actually have this feeling that once he scores his first goal he will then start
scoring more frequently (goals not hookers). It will give him the confidence boost I think he needs.
A lot of you mentioned his nocturnal activities, which I believe is a good shout.
He needs to start taking his football more seriously. Its all well and good being
the class clown and the joker around the place (which he is) but Id like to see
more 'Roy Keane' in him, regarding his professionalism and his attitude to work.

edit: just seen the bit about the 2007 'summer crop'. I always said that Hargreaves was
the most important signing by far, and I still believe that to be true. He has been unlucky
with his injury but he will be back as strong as ever. Whenever he played last season
he was THE business.

·
23,699 Posts
RedForceRising said:
He was supposed to be an attacking midfielder, but has so far not developed the attacking side of his game and seems too reluctant to do so.
Agree. He seems contented to sit back more and reluctant to run at players which I thought he was frightening last season on the few occasions he did it.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Agree with the first part of your post, but think the part in bold is exaggerated.
With the exception of Tevez, none of them justified their price-tags or hype. I consider that failing personally.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
versa said:
Agree. He seems contented to sit back more and reluctant to run at players which I thought he was frightening last season on the few occasions he did it.
like his run agasint aston villa it all just open outta nowhere!

tbh anderson was one of my favourite if not my favourite player last season! i thought he was class and this season i was expecting him to devolp even more and to be one of the best midfilders in the prem but it hasnt worked out that way unfourtantly and hes struggling even to get into our team!

its funny how nani and anderson have struggled this season when there both close off the field with ronaldo perhaps hes a bad role model in terms of the night life? i dunno whats up but if he just concentrates on his football within 5 years i belive he will be one of the best midfilders in the world!

although he will have to improve his passing(good over 5 yards but over 20 and 30 its not the best) also his shooting will need to improve if he improves that he will get his goal and with his first goal will come a new confidince for the lad!

all in all im worried but i think he has enough about him to quash them worries sooner rather than latter

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
cantos red army said:
like his run agasint aston villa it all just open outta nowhere!
He has the ability, like against villa, but he doesn't do it often enough....in fact he hasn't been doing it at all. He needs to get out of his comfort zone and push up more often. Against Villa he got to the byline and then instead of being cool and looking up just fumbled it to the keeper.

The more often he gets into those areas the more calm he'll be. It's one thing to be calm in a League Cup matach when you;re leading 3-0 against Blackburn, it's anotehr to do so when you're in a Premier League stale-mate against a quality side.

Because I'm DC said:
With the exception of Tevez, none of them justified their price-tags or hype. I consider that failing personally.
But the hype was really created by the fans who expected too much.
I mean, I had never even heard of Anderson until he was purchased and lok what a solid player he was for us in midfield.

Nani might be frustrating, but he scored 4 goals last season and provided the highest number of assists if I remember correctly. Some of them were match-winning assists.

You have a point that they might have been over-priced, but that's not the players' fault. PLus we won the double, so I'm not sure they are failures.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
RedForceRising said:
But the hype was really created by the fans who expected too much.
I mean, I had never even heard of Anderson until he was purchased and lok what a solid player he was for us in midfield.

Nani might be frustrating, but he scored 4 goals last season and provided the highest number of assists if I remember correctly. Some of them were match-winning assists.

You have a point that they might have been over-priced, but that's not the players' fault. PLus we won the double, so I'm not sure they are failures.
Personally, I believe had we kept Richardson and played Fletcher in a more prominent role last season, the end result would've been no different.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Personally, I believe had we kept Richardson and played Fletcher in a more prominent role last season, the end result would've been no different.
No dude.

Richardson was so undetermined when he was at United and his form so indifferent.

Fletcher can hardly complete a pass and is dispossesed easily. He has improved, but I rate Anderson higher, so your assertion is highly improbable. I think Nani probably amassed more goals and more assists in a single season than Richardson in his entire UNited career (not that he had many games, but he had chances to prove his worth and didn't take it.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont get it at porto he had a very good scoring record but with us he cant hit a barn door.
perhaps he should play in the no. 10 role like he did aganist liverpool last season.
I just hope the injury he had before joining us hasnt affected his game

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
imo ando just needs his first goal and he will improve. I don't think the night life stuff is that bad everyone goes on a bender now and again. He's young let him score his first united goal and he'll improve

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
To be fair the lad hasn't had enough chances this season imo,i think he has th talent but to often he's played in a holding deep role in midfield simply because the wingers, Nani and Ronaldo do not put in a shift going backwards which means our central midfielders are not able to go forward otherwise we will be completely over run, you all saw last season how Anderson was at his best when he played with a propper defensive midfield player a certain Owen Hargreaves so that he could go and express himself, this season he simply hasn't been given the license to roam, and by he way playing him in there with Scholes couldnt be a worse partnership in my opinion. I really hope he gets a start tomorrow but it doesn't look likely, i for one cant wait for Hargreaves to get back to fitness.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i dont think its Ando not having scored a goal yet thats the problem its just he isnt really getting a good string of games together yet, Fletcher seems to get on ahead of him and last year was Ando, sur he had his chance to score this season already against Blackburn i believe in the carling cup if im not mistakin when he passed to Giggs, Giggs backheel flick to Ando then to Tevez 1 two and Ando went 1 on 1 with the keeper and instead of slotting it in he unselfishly squared it across to Tevez to score again. Ando played a cracker in that match and by that pass to Tevez showed hes not too concerned with goals imo.
That was also my favorite united goal so far this season.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts