Manchester United Talk banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
To be fair, he was excellent against Pompey.

But I do agree, he's been off form for a while. Maybe its because he's being asked to play as a DM? Last season he was a box to box player and he excelled at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think all this about Anderson is absolutely ridicoulous, he's one for the future people... he's moved to a new country can hardly speak the language, and he's just a young lad who hasn't even been playing in his natural position......I think he's played well this season when he's had the chance, If you noticed last season he was playing well along side Carrick, that first goal will help sure but I think the lad is fantastic goals or not......can't really argue with argument about Nani, who has been a bit of a disapointment this season....

Lets get behind the lads tho.....

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
TheFutureIsAnderson said:
You guys are aware he's 20 years old, right?

I think he'll be fine. He's a very neat and tidy player right now with a lot of obvious class. He's also very strong in midfield, I've been very impressed with his defensive game.

As for his attacking, playmaking. Please don't give me the BS that he can't improve at 20 f'ing years of age.
Ermm, what about Rooney when he was 20? He was in the first team every week playing brilliantly. What about Ronaldo when he was 20? Or Messi? Or Fabregas? Or Mikel? You can't use that excuse anymore. Yes, he's got time to improve, but he HASN'T improved since last season. He's gotten worse. He's not ambitious anymore with his passing , and he doesn't look to have the kind of determination to improve or succeed. Even Nani has shown signs of improvement since last season.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
he came onto the scene last year. although he commanded a big transfer fee, it's fair to say he wasn't known. he came in with a bit of determination, and was more than happy to try to mix it with the best, and gave gerrard and fabregas a good run around, to the point that he at one point became a first choice in the big away games. his passing was good, as was his vision, and his dribbling was good. everyone took him to their hearts because he bust onto the scene and showed a bit of passion.
he hasn't rediscovered the form of his first 6 months, but he has shown glimpses of it. he still plays intelligent balls, even if they aren't as adventurous. he's getting closer to his first goal, a shot on target against bolton! i'm sure it will settle him down, and may also lead to a few more goals.
he hasn't shone yet this season, but part of his form last year was that it wasn't really expected that a tenacious 19 year old would bounce into the team and just fit. he still has the potential to be the best. i'm sure he is learning things every day, and he is also getting less games. he hasn't lived up to his standards, but i think he will be back up there again soon, more than likely at around the same time united start to hit top gear.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,939 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Ermm, what about Rooney when he was 20? He was in the first team every week playing brilliantly. What about Ronaldo when he was 20? Or Messi? Or Fabregas? Or Mikel? You can't use that excuse anymore. Yes, he's got time to improve, but he HASN'T improved since last season. He's gotten worse. He's not ambitious anymore with his passing , and he doesn't look to have the kind of determination to improve or succeed. Even Nani has shown signs of improvement since last season.
So you have to be as good as Wayne Rooney when you're 20 or else you're Eric Djemba Djemba?

Right, gotcha.

Nani is as crap this year as he was last year. There's been no improvement with him at all.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Anderson reminds me of this all the time........

c'mon dont be ridiculous, anderson has way more talent than djemba djemba, comparing him to djemba is an insult to ando imo, just give him time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Quite possibly the most stupid thing i've ever heard. Rooney is a one off as is Ronaldo, Messi and Fabregas. But Mikel? are you completely mad?

If he wasn't good enough for United he wouldn't be here......simple as. Messi was at Barca a while before he was regularly playing well and so was Fabregas at Arsenal.

I have total faith in Sir Alex Ferguson to put toegther a team thats capable of competing for all trophys. And if he thinks Anderson is good enough then thats good enough for me.

Great goal from Nani tuesday too, maybe that may be a turning point in his season (just when we really need him to come good)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
siisonkin said:
Quite possibly the most stupid thing i've ever heard. Rooney is a one off as is Ronaldo, Messi and Fabregas. But Mikel? are you completely mad?

If he wasn't good enough for United he wouldn't be here......simple as. Messi was at Barca a while before he was regularly playing well and so was Fabregas at Arsenal.

I have total faith in Sir Alex Ferguson to put toegther a team thats capable of competing for all trophys. And if he thinks Anderson is good enough then thats good enough for me.

Great goal from Nani tuesday too, maybe that may be a turning point in his season (just when we really need him to come good)
Yes, I know the players I listed are special examples, but I'm saying that they had improved at the age of 20, in comparison to their teenage years. That was in reply to someone who was using age as an excuse. Well, how the hell can you believe he'll improve with age when he's worse than he was when he first got here? He's not good enough, period.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Players don't develop at the same time or the same speed.

As for the highlighted point, I have no idea where you get that from :confused:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ya anderson has been disappointing lately, but absolutely no one has the right to compare him to the Djemba twins.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anderson at 20 is already an accomplished defensive midfielder, he does more in 10 minutes than Fletcher does in a season. He needs to be played behind a quality player like Carrick or the Ginger Prince, giving them the freedom to open up the game while he keeps things tidy in front of the back four.

People forget tha when he signed for United he'd played less than 30 professional games, we paid way too much for him, but that isn't his fault.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
ReddestFront said:
Anderson at 20 is already an accomplished defensive midfielder, he does more in 10 minutes than Fletcher does in a season. He needs to be played behind a quality player like Carrick or the Ginger Prince, giving them the freedom to open up the game while he keeps things tidy in front of the back four.

People forget tha when he signed for United he'd played less than 30 professional games, we paid way too much for him, but that isn't his fault.
Do you even watch united play? How can you criticise fletcher so much. I stopped reading your post after that comment.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Do you even watch united play? How can you criticise fletcher so much. I stopped reading your post after that comment.
He must play alot of Fifa maybe, Fletcher doesn't get rated in crap like that but he's having a better season than Anderson. If Anderson was on last years form he'd be the better player but he's not. But good old Fletcher has upped his game this season.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ReddestFront said:

accomplished 'defensive midfielder'??

ya
and at 37 VDS is an accomplished striker......

Fletcher has been brilliant this season

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Well, how the hell can you believe he'll improve with age when he's worse than he was when he first got here? He's not good enough, period.
Only time will tell......... But he helped us to the double (should of been the treble)last season and we're on course for even more this season. What more do you want? A team full of superstars? because thats not how football teams work matey. Do you go to the games or just watch on the TV? I can't remember seeing anyone who works as hard as he does, with the strength and vision that he has. (bar Rooney, of course). Its hard to fully appreciate what a player does for the team on the TV. Its easy to criticise players, but I can't disagree with you more about Ando.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
lol Ando @ being a DMC!

& to be honest I really haven't seen anything wrong with Anderson's contribution thus far this season. He did have a long season last season and on top of that he did not get a summer break since he was at the Olympics and had to come back asap and get into the team due to injuries. In that aspect I think his done very well and I am very happy with each United's player contribution this season. The likes of Anderson and Nani are getting critisized more this season in my opinion is because they both had a wonderful debut season and now so much is expected of them especially since its their 2nd season and hence should be more adapted to United and the lifestyle etc. But as we all know its kind of like a new club who just made the promotion to the EPL. They have a great first season and have the 2nd season blues later on (eg Reading) and have a drop in performance for some wierd reason. I just say give them time and they will come good under the guidence of Fergie. Young players can be fairly inconsistant and with the great performances they put in last season we tend to forget how young they really are compared to the experienced likes of Giggs, Scholes and even Carrick etc.

I have never been a great fan of Fletcher but this season my God his been amazing and has up'd his game to another whole level which I am appreciating very much. His simple short passing reminds of of Carrick's passing skills and creating space in conjusted situations and his tendency to go forward more and make those cheeky runs into the box are great additions to his game. I still would favour Anderson personally in the middle of the park due to his more upper body strength and his ability to shurg off players off the ball easily and how he runs around untill he gets the ball but both are great players and it just comes down to opinon on who is better and who one would chose. Mind you Anderson was an AMC like Veron and was made to a classical CM by Fergie so in that aspect his done great with defending and tracking back. His been givin a more of an attacking role this season in the League cup and he looked hundred times better in my opinon. But then again Fletcher was made from a right winger to a CM or even a RB lol

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Yes, I know the players I listed are special examples, but I'm saying that they had improved at the age of 20, in comparison to their teenage years. That was in reply to someone who was using age as an excuse. Well, how the hell can you believe he'll improve with age when he's worse than he was when he first got here? He's not good enough, period.
The problem with most young players is that they are inconsistent.

You mentioned Ronaldo. He's 23 now - when he was 20 people were slating him for having no end product!!!

Anderson was brilliant last season but has been poor by comparison this season. I think the lack of a goal is a big factor in this. Once he gets that his confidence will soar and his development as a footballer will get back on track.

I believe he has all the qualities to be a top class central midfield player and look forward to see him develop at United over the next few years. There is no better place for him to learn imo.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
reddwarf said:
The problem with most young players is that they are inconsistent.

You mentioned Ronaldo. He's 23 now - when he was 20 people were slating him for having no end product!!!

Anderson was brilliant last season but has been poor by comparison this season. I think the lack of a goal is a big factor in this. Once he gets that his confidence will soar and his development as a footballer will get back on track.

I believe he has all the qualities to be a top class central midfield player and look forward to see him develop at United over the next few years. There is no better place for him to learn imo.
I know Ronaldo was slated at times at 20, but he still improved and looked like a bright prospect. Anderson has not improved since we signed him. He was supposed to fill Paul Scholes' position, and is anything but. I'm not expecting another Scholes, but he should at least be creating chances, and being ambitious with his passing.

I too think a goal could well be a turning point, but when's it going to come? A year? Two? Football's cruel, and I'm impatient. Lucky for him, Fergie isn't.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts