Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's shocking! A lot of the time when we're in possession he'll go and stand on an opponent as if the other team are in possession. He doesn't move into space in the middle of the park so that his team mates can pass to him, on the contrary he looks as if he's marking opposition players instead. If you look at Scholes play, he's always available to pass to, even Fletcher looks to have learned from Scholes how to find space, but Anderson is still a bit clueless in that department at the moment. I guess we can put it down to his age and it's something he'll undoubtedly come to understand as his game matures, but he doesn't seem to have improved this side of his game since last season.

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
To be fair to him, he made a couple of decent runs into the box yesterday and receieved the ball. However, he looks so low on confidence that he's terrified to get into a shooting position for fear he'll have to take it on and miss again. He seems to be more inclinded to side foot the ball these days too that rather blast it low and hard.

What happened to this Anderson?

YouTube - Anderson

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Good off the ball movement is a very difficult skill to learn. It requires vision which in turn requires knowledge & experience.

To be fair though when the other team has the ball he works well, hassling the opponents like you said.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
Agreed, he may be a young player but he really should have improved this area of his game by now. It's not too difficult to move into space, but it is vitally important. Needs to learn from Scholes.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I disagree with you on this one Zuc... His movement in the first half yesterday was quite good imo. At one stage, he totally split the defence with a run and was put through by Cristiano, only for the linesman to flag him offside. I think in the last few games, he has really shown his promise to become a quality attacking midfielder. The only problem of course is that : When the **** will he score question.

His shooting is still absolutely woeful and if anything this is the thing that has disapproved out of all his attributes over the last 12 months. I remember last year, him coming close in a few games with powerful drives vs Liverpool and Spurs, but his shot from the edge of the box yesterday really summed up his lack of confidence, in terms of shooting.

So, I think he has definitely improved with regards to finding space zuco, no doubts about that imo.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think with regards to shooting he just needs to work on his composure. I hope CROoney doesn't see this. :rofl:

He has the shooting technique. It's demonstrated in his penalties. He just need to take his time.

He's so desperate to score he panic when the opposition rushes him & just lets rip into outer orbit.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree with you on this one Zuc... His movement in the first half yesterday was quite good imo. At one stage, he totally split the defence with a run and was put through by Cristiano, only for the linesman to flag him offside. I think in the last few games, he has really shown his promise to become a quality attacking midfielder. The only problem of course is that : When the **** will he score question.

His shooting is still absolutely woeful and if anything this is the thing that has disapproved out of all his attributes over the last 12 months. I remember last year, him coming close in a few games with powerful drives vs Liverpool and Spurs, but his shot from the edge of the box yesterday really summed up his lack of confidence, in terms of shooting.

So, I think he has definitely improved with regards to finding space zuco, no doubts about that imo.
Yeah he did ok a couple of times yesterday, but I mean in general in the middle of the pitch. He's often stood next to an opposing player so whoever is looking to pass to him has to either go wide to O' Shea or backwards to Rio or Vidic. It stops the flow of our passing and breaks down attacks before they've even started. He's improved in recent games because he's been played slightly further up the pitch with more of a license to attack, but when he's in a more central role it becomes more evident.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Maybe it's because when he plays more centrally Fergie is asking him to show more graft rather than opening up play.

Anderson does a lot of tracking back. It's not conducive to making runs into the box or making space.

His instructions could be to break up play. We'll see if things change when Hargo returns.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
he is returning to the form he showed last year ,when he finally manages to score for utd we will see a massive improvment in this fella . if you watch the you tube clips on him its remarkable that he has managed to look so bad in his quest for a goal at utd , because he looks awesome when scoring for other teams . regarding his movement at least he heads in the right direction with the ball ,off the ball he needs to improve.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
He seems high on confidence and form at the moment. He is slowly getting back to his best and is moving about alot more recently and making runs which is hiding the often 'static' and lack of movement anderson we started to see this season.

And yes i totally agree, when he is in the centre, he wont get between other midfielders to give himself a chance to get the ball or for others to make the pass, i think we've spoke of this before a few times.

I do think however that when anderson runs with his energy and goes all over the place like he did yesterday and runs with the ball, it becomes less of a problem because he is still making runs and getting into positions.

However when he has to be disciplined and keep his position, it becomes a problem because he doesnt move lol.

pz!:cool:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Without that movement in the middle of the park no midfielder can control a match, he needs to improve on that to be able to recieve the ball to his feet throughout the game. I will however say some of his forward runs were good yesterday and one of them could well have resulted in his first goal had it not been for a dodgy offside decision.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good ability but it is worrying he hasnt scored a goal for the club being an attacking midfielder and at his age (compared to denilson and lucas) only time will tell.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It's shocking! A lot of the time when we're in possession he'll go and stand on an opponent as if the other team are in possession. He doesn't move into space in the middle of the park so that his team mates can pass to him, on the contrary he looks as if he's marking opposition players instead. If you look at Scholes play, he's always available to pass to, even Fletcher looks to have learned from Scholes how to find space, but Anderson is still a bit clueless in that department at the moment. I guess we can put it down to his age and it's something he'll undoubtedly come to understand as his game matures, but he doesn't seem to have improved this side of his game since last season.
I see what you are saying and pretty much agree but we have to remember that Anderson is still young and developing his game. His movement will improve with time on the pitch and on the training ground. Iv'e been delighted with Anderson's recent form. His form dropped significantly from last March onwards but he seems to be coming good again, just at the right time as well.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see what you are saying and pretty much agree but we have to remember that Anderson is still young and developing his game. His movement will improve with time on the pitch and on the training ground. Iv'e been delighted with Anderson's recent form. His form dropped significantly from last March onwards but he seems to be coming good again, just at the right time as well.
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/21481-anderson.html

:whistling:

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
To be fair to him, he made a couple of decent runs into the box yesterday and receieved the ball. However, he looks so low on confidence that he's terrified to get into a shooting position for fear he'll have to take it on and miss again. He seems to be more inclinded to side foot the ball these days too that rather blast it low and hard.

What happened to this Anderson?

YouTube - Anderson
That anderson played mainly behind the strikers as a sort of attacking midfielder, which is a position that is rarely used anymore between the current european clubs, thats why you see anderson in a more box to box mode.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think Anderson is still learning and adapting to how we play in a way. I do agree that he doesn't lose his man and make space for a team-mate to pass the ball on enough. He does do it on ocassions though and I felt he done pretty well last night. If you see Scholes for example he always makes space for himself and this is because of years of experience, to lose your marker, recieve the ball and lay it off to a team-mate. He does seem to stay in front of his opponent and try to recieve the ball while shielding off his opponenent like Zuco said. This is where Anderson is still learning and eventually he will be able to make space and create chances for the team..

What I love about Anderson is his energy, he's not the "Headless Chicken" that tevez is. He gets right in the opponents face and closes them down causing them to panic on the ball. He is also a fantastic player to run with the ball. He's extremely quick with the ball at his feet and he created numerous chances for us last night from his running with the ball.

He seems to be high in confidence like United_OG said and he's getting back into the form he showed last season which is great for us. I think if he stays injury-free and continues to develop well, he will be our main Central Midfielder next season. I'm not sure what his best position is yet, he played in a very attacking role las night and he done pretty well. But I like him as a box-to-box midfielder which he does have the ability to play in. He's got good technique on the ball and he can produce a "killer pass" when needed.

The only think he hasn't done is score for us. 3 goals from 3 penalties, I think but no goal yet. I don't know why either because he seems so composed when taking a spot kick. From watching old videos of him he can score some good goals and I think if he scores just 1 he will score a few in quick succession after it.

In the end he's a top talent who has showed real potential and I feel he's at the right club to develop his talents further. I think he's a bright star that's waiting to burst and I feel he will have a huge role for us next season when we go on to greater success.

·
23,699 Posts
I think it is a pretty common phenomenon for up and coming younger players not knowing where to 'stand' when they are not immediately involved with the ball, more prominently so with midfielders and defenders than a striker. Anderson is one and Rafael another. An acute sense of awareness and positioning can only, unfortunately, be developed from experience.

On the same accord, Fletcher has certainly made a marked improvement this season and my most improved United player.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts