Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From manutd.com...

Ex-Red Andy Cole has announced his retirement from football, bringing down the curtain on a 19-year career.

Cole enjoyed spells with 13 clubs including Arsenal, Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City and Nottingham Forest, where sadly his career came to an end not befitting his impresssive contribution to the game.

"It's not the ideal ending," Cole told The Times. "It just wasn't working out. I told them from the outset that I didn't want to go there to sit on the bench because I didn't want to be perceived as sitting back and making easy money."

Despite the slightly sour taste of his career's final act, Cole has plenty to look back on and feel proud about. "I wouldn't change a thing. I've lived the dream," he said.

Undoubtedly his most successful spell came during his six trophy-laden years at Old Trafford, where he won five Premier League titles, two FA Cups and a Champions League winners medal as part of 1999's famous Treble.

He served as United's no.9 with distinction, scoring 121 goals in 275 appearances. In his first season following a then-record £6.25million transfer from Newcastle, Cole scored five goals in the 9-0 rout of Ipswich Town at OT - still an individual and team best in the Premier League.

Cole left United in December 2001, and understandably did not scale the heights he had with the Reds. However, he did score the winning goal for Blackburn in the 2002 Worthington Cup final at the Millennium Stadium.

The 37-year-old has already been tipped to pursue a coaching career. Blackburn are reported to have expressed an interest in giving him his break behind the scenes.

Cole had a wonderful career picking up many goals, medals and a few England caps. What are your memories of Andy Cole?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
One of the almost forgotton hero's of United and when people think of '99,
Solskjaer, Beckham suddenly come to mind, butwhat a part Cole (And Yorke) had
in it all.

Amazing seeing the two of them play together...pity he ended up leaving United
and failed to sustain any sort of form.

Best of luck to him in whatever he decides to do with himself....he'll always be a
United favourite!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

I think Andy Cole can be very proud and happy about what he has achieved in his career.

He once came to Singapore to conduct a football camp and even my Liverpool buddies were gushing and saying he actually was very good at coaching.

Cole could be frustrating and sometimes really needed a few chances to find the net, but he did bang em in on plenty of occasions.

I remember though that there used to be a mag called 90 minutes and they had a puzzle - like the one you find for kids - it was a maze. In the centre was a goal and on the outside was Andy Cole.

The problem was that all routes to the goal were blocked :D

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
its a sad day for me :(

i was happy that Andy Cole have joined Nottingham Forest cuz i though hes going to play regularly, but he lost his pace with the age so Tyson and Earenshaw took over his place

i don't need to talk about Andy Cole as every person knows what quality he is

Well Done Andy great career you had and hopefully better coaching career :)

You are the best

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its always sad when a player bows out. He was an integral part of the 99 treble to which I shall be eternally grateful to him. Viva Andy!! or should I say Andrew :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was sad to hear that Great King Cole had retired.what a player he was for united over the years,and no more so than in 99 when he and yorke ripped england and europe apart.that league winnin goal against spurs in 99 still gets me excited!

WHAT A TRUE LEGEND!!!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Second all-time Premiership goalscorer speaks for itself. True legend, I find it amazing how he was only ever capped fifteen times for England though. Great career he's had nonetheless. I could probably see him in management.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
andy was a fantastic striker its true he used to miss a few but he worked far more goalscoring opportunities than any other striker that i have ever seen.he almost had an hat trick chance per game at his peak years.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
TOP MAN COLE
Andy sorry andrew was a fantastic underated centre forward for us , i am still mystified why people never rated him , i blame the media especially people like hoddle who said he needs 3 chances to score 1 goal.
That stuck with him throughout his carreer , i watched him get 3 chances and score a hatrick the man was a united legend.
All the very best andy and have a great retirement and THANK YOU

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
stretty said:
TOP MAN COLE
Andy sorry andrew was a fantastic underated centre forward for us , i am still mystified why people never rated him , i blame the media especially people like hoddle who said he needs 3 chances to score 1 goal.
That stuck with him throughout his carreer , i watched him get 3 chances and score a hatrick the man was a united legend.
Hoddle said that he needs 6 chances to score one
something which is completely wrong

this makes me think weather Hoddle is racial or not

wait i got banned for calling him racial do lets not go there :p

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
abojodeh said:
Hoddle said that he needs 6 chances to score one
something which is completely wrong

this makes me think weather Hoddle is racial or not

wait i got banned for calling him racial do lets not go there :p
He wasnt being racist abo just stupid , i remember the same thing happened to ray wilkins when he played for united , some idiot started calling him the crab because they said he only passed the ball sideways, nothing could have been further from the truth he played 40 yard defence splitting balls and was superb , but the crab stuck

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
oh what a shame,he was a cracker ,who went about his trade in a professional way, couldn't care less what Hoddle said about him,i think he'll be missed,good luck to him..

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Fantastic player.

Under-rated player for the international scene, the fact that he only got 15 caps for England. However, he was incredible for us and his contribution for us goes without saying.

I would just say thanks for everything, and I wish him all the best for the future.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Love Andy Cole, he has had a good career and I wish he got capped more by England. Hopefully see him in management maybe!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
stretty said:
TOP MAN COLE

Let's not big him up too much .... he had days where it was a goal for every chance AND there were days where it took 3 or 4 SITTERS before he found the net.

Still a dependable striker who really took pride in wearing the United jersey!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts