Manchester United Talk banner

Angry Arsenal blasts former referee Poll

741 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·
For once I actually agree with the 'voyeur'. :mad:

From espnsoccernet.com

Arsene Wenger has launched a scathing attack on former referee Graham Poll and has described him as an embarrassment following comments made this week.

Speaking on Setanta Sports on their Football Matters, Poll backed up Howard Webb's decision to send off Emmanuel Adebayor against Liverpool - but it was his analysis of John Terry's red card at Everton that angered Arsenal manager Wenger.

Poll, a former FIFA referee who retired in 2007, suggested that referees could be influenced by the furore that comes with sending off the England captain.

"For me it was embarrassing when you listen to that," Wenger said. "They ask whether it was a sending off or not. He says you have to consider that you are sending off the captain of the national team.

"What has that got to do with the rulebook? The rulebook doesn't look at passports. When you listen to that it is embarrassing for the referees.

"Is it a sending off or not? Are you from England or not from England? Are you 17 or 30? It has nothing to do with that.

"It is a big concern when you here the national number one referee talk like that."

Wenger admits his faith in referees has been tested by Poll's comments.

"I do not think (they are taking reputations into account) but when I hear statements like that, it makes you change your mind," he added.

See less See more
#5 ·
referees want to be in the limelight, they think they are football players.

Referees in my opinon should be non-existent. They are really the people that control how the match goes, and to be honest i see a lot of referees in the picture because they dilly dally with decisions, want to have a long talk with players, FFS just get on with the game, if its yellow take his number and quickly jot it down. And why is a lot of refs give freekicks wen it isnt and give no freekicks wen it is. Refs need to use more common sense.

Just let the game flow if a foul blow wistle, if not then let us watch the beautiful game.

#6 ·
I always thought that with a reputation, like the one John Terry has, a ref would be more likely to send you packing.

I mean if I was a ref, maybe I'm biased, but with Terry's penchant for trying to kill people I'd be more harsh on him.

I'd give him a Yellow where others would've got a warning just to make sure he stays in line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.