Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has accused some of Stoke's players of deliberately trying to injure his players.

Gunners stars Theo Walcott and Emmanuel Adebayor both picked up injuries during last weekend's 2-1 defeat at the Britannia Stadium.

The duo will miss Wednesday's UEFA Champions League clash with Fenerbahce as a result with Walcott having the better chance of returning against Manchester United this weekend.

Wenger was unhappy with Stoke's physical approach and has described those who injured Walcott and Adebayor as 'cowards'.
Courage
"For me, you need to have more courage to play football when you know somebody is tackling you from behind without any intention to play the ball, with only one intention to hurt you and I can show you some tackles where I can prove what I say," said Wenger.

"The one who is tackling is not the brave one, for me the brave one is the one trying to play football.

"Do you really feel that [Rory] Delap tried to play the ball when he tackled Walcott or that [Ryan] Shawcross tried to play the ball when he tackled Adebayor off the pitch?

"All the players have been injured deliberately.

"For me, the brave one is not the one who tackles from behind, but the player who tries to play football. That's the coward."

The Frenchman was also adamant it was not the first time opponents had hurt his players with reckless challenges, with the badly-broken leg Eduardo suffered against Birmingham last season the most notable example.

Defender Bacary Sagna was also hurt against Stoke and had been receiving treatment on an ankle injury in a bid to be fit for tomorrow's game.

Wenger added: "Do you want me to tell you the players we have lost here? Diaby, deliberate foul from behind, Rosicky, deliberate foul, Eduardo, deliberate foul. Now we lose Walcott, deliberate foul, and we have lost Sagna - deliberate foul on him.

"There is only one intention when he is tackled and that is the ankle. And you want me on top of that to sit here and say, 'Yes, sorry we are not brave'?"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4454712,00.html

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
New arriving teams tend to hard tackle more than other teams as they lack good quality defenders so shut up wenger :)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Have you ever seen such an ungratious loser? His attitude gets passed down to his players aswell, thats why Arsenal will never be 'the' team under Wenger.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Erm...actually I have to say that he kinda have a point.

It's very easy to say Wenger's an ungracious loser, but I think it's true. Ronaldo & Co are often on the receiving end of horrible takckles and it's a testimony to their courage that they keep playing football instead of being intimidated by those thugs.

BTW there's no way Taylor went for the ball when he tackled Eduardo. Horrendous tackle that should have been more than a three match ban. Same with Pogatetz on Possebon.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Taylors and Pogatetz' 'tackles' were just badly mistimed. I seriously doubt they thought "right, lets see if I can break his leg". Particularly the Euardo one, he was simply to quick for the defender.

But we get fouled a lot more than Arsenal. The ball is constantly moving with Arsenal so its hard enough as it is to get near them, but we have a lot of skillfull dribblers and players who are strong at running - they are more likely to get badly fouled IMO.

Not saying Arsenal don't get the rough treatment, they do, but not as much as we do.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
You can't say Walcott was deliberately injured. It was the way he landed that jarred his shoulder.

Teams who adopt a physical approach such as Stoke, Bolton etc have regularly been accused of this behaviour by Wenger.

I think it's fair to say that they do try to rough up free-flowing passing teams like Arsenal but I think it's unfair to accuse them of deliberately trying to injure opponents.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Up to a point i can understand what hes saying but the trouble is everyone knows arsenal have a soft centre and can be muscled out of a game , they are a rudderless ship with no driving force in the team.
I have mentioned before they have not replaced vierra but also they are missing the animal keown and the donkey adams

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
I hate Wenger. He just moans all the time and defends his own players. They were kicking Nani and he said nothing. He makes excuses about everything. eg: Toure was fould. It was just bad defending. When United lost against Liverpool Fergie said they defended like Championship defenders. Wenger just makes excuses for his rubbish defenders messing up time and time again

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
wenger needs to realise his players are soft as shi...
they are a fantastic footballing team but its all flair and no muscle or guts
his players simply dont have the heart for a fight.
if you want to win leagues you have to play sides who like to get stuck in or defend with 11 men behind the ball, its football arsene get used to it.

more of the same tired old excuses from wenger. boring

Z

·
0 Posts
What's with all the double standards in this thread?

When we dropped points at Everton, Fergie was saying how dirty
Everton played and that the referee failed to protect the players.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
wenger actually has a point on this one but it is the timing of his words that makes people laugh without even reading the article....

why is he always saying it when his team is on the losing side or on the receiving end of it ...

oh people would have more respect for him if he said "i will talk to gallas and flamini for their behaviour against nani "too ...

why isn't he fighting against it when his team is ont he top of the league ?
oh wait - that's because they're never on top :p

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I just saw bits of the press conference and Wenger actually looks to be losing it.
I also heard that Almunia has withdrawn from tonights squad for God knows what reason???!?
They are in tatters, its brilliant.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Christ, and they say Fergie's losing it.

They're bound to play a physical game, but his claims are ludicrous. I think Arsenal are probably the most physically weak team in the Premiership. I'm pleased that Pulis hit back at his claims, damn right too, what a sour loser.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Blade said:
What's with all the double standards in this thread?

When we dropped points at Everton, Fergie was saying how dirty
Everton played and that the referee failed to protect the players.
I agree actually. But I seriously disagreed with Fergie when he said that, and I'm getting seriously annoyed at managers who say that.

Delaps tackle on Walcott was just late, it wasn't malicious, but Shawcross's tackle was a debatable from what I can remember.

Hes a hypocrite though. Arsenal have been the worst in this aspect but yet he turns a blind eye? Ian Wright, Vieira, Adams, Keown, Diaby, etc etc, and even Van Persie in that very same game! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts