Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right if we sell silvestre we will only have 6 senior defenders in the squad - Evra. Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown, Neville, O'Shea. Does that not seem a little short to you? It's possible we could have 4 1st choice defenders out, it happened to us in 06/07, then what would we do?! I think we could do with a couple of either experienced or up-and-coming defenders as cover.

G

·
^^^ Hargreaves can do a good job at right back too.

It's good that we have a few utility players who can
cover a few positions. It shuts all the O'shea bashers
up for a bit as well :p

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
it's pretty simple ... we wont sell Mikael, theres no logic in selling him? we need cover for Evra and he's perfect for that job so thats that, and Johnny Evans will play the Pique role as in he'll be cover for center back, dont forget we've got super Gary Neville comming back aswell :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Left back is a potential problem area in my opinion.

Neville, Brown, Hargreaves and Simpson have the right side covered, but we only have Evra and Silvestre on the left.

As zuco has pointed out, utility man John O'Shea can provide decent cover, but it's not really good cover is it?

Silvestre is injury prone himself, so we'd need cover for the cover :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think Evans did play as left back for his country when they did keep a few clean sheets. Anyways i think thats a good thing as it will mean someone from the reserves will get a chance.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
shanky said:
I think Evans did play as left back for his country when they did keep a few clean sheets. Anyways i think thats a good thing as it will mean someone from the reserves will get a chance.
He sure did and he played out of his skin as well. We have plenty of cover imo.
Even some of the midfielders like Fletch, Hargo and Anderson (who played at lb)
could easily step in if things got really bad. Nothing much to worry about really.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Giggs did cover at left back once too.when all else fail, trust on rooney to do everything! LMAO.

but well, we shouldnt get anymore cover in defence. give the youngsters a breakthrough.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
We wont Sell Silvestre,
Evans and Simpson may be called up if necessary,
Hargreaves can play at Right Back if needed,
Only position is Left Back that is Questionable?

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
if rio gets a ban it will only be four games we will hardly fall apart in that time, we have gary neville coming back he can play at c/b without any problems and this might be a perfect oppurtunity for him to stake a claim for a place in the team.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I wouldn't say so.

Your meant to have 2 players for every position. So, lets takes that point for a moment.

RB- Neville, Brown
CB- Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans
LB- Silvestre, Evra

I've tried to keep players playing in the positions I think they will mainly be playing next year.

But, if we take versatility into consideration

RB- Neville, Brown, Simpson, O'Shea, Hargreaves, Fletcher
CB- Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Brown, O'Shea, Silvestre,
LB- Silvestre, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Simpson and Anderson even.

So no, I would say we don't need any more cover.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i must say i agree with most peoples comments we have defo got enough cover in the back and were not forgetting wes browns perfured possition is CB anyway he was just covering as right back for big nev, and as for left back well of corse o'shea can play there and do a good job along with silvestre but we also have the brazillian twins Fábio and Rafael one of them is a left back the other right so they mite even get a shot if they are up for it (thats if there here with work permit right?)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Gary Nev: RB and CB
Rio: CB
Vida: CB
Evra: LB and RB
Wes: CB and RB
Silvestre: LB and CB
Evans: LB and RB
Simpson: RB and LB
O'Shea: LB, RB and CB
Hargreaves: RB and LB?
Fletcher: RB
Giggs: LB

I know I'm probably scraping the barrel a bit there with Giggsy and Fletch but as far as I can see we have cover in ever position at the back. Unless we were looking at bringing in a top class right back to replace Gary in the long run then I don't think out defence needs to be improved this summer.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
we're fine as we are, we were OK last season and that was without Neville and Silvestre for the majority.

As others have said Hargreaves is a very good RB aswell, although I don't think Fergie would ever even think of putting Giggs or Anderson at LB.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
jd_united said:
Gary Nev: RB and CB
Rio: CB
Vida: CB
Evra: LB and RB
Wes: CB and RB
Silvestre: LB and CB
Evans: LB and RB
Simpson: RB and LB
O'Shea: LB, RB and CB
Hargreaves: RB and LB?
Fletcher: RB
Giggs: LB

Thats a good way of putting it and your spot on JD.
You could even add Anderson, Neville and Brown at LB and Evans plays CB too.
Basically we are covered.:)

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
as long as we hold onto silvestre we should be ok. pique going is a bit gutting as I had hopes for the lad as he proved in champ league games last season

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
antdevil78 said:
as long as we hold onto silvestre we should be ok. pique going is a bit gutting as I had hopes for the lad as he proved in champ league games last season
Agreed, holding onto Silvestre is important. People dont give him the credit
he deserves. Losing Pique was a bit of the blow cos you want to see the
promising youngsters make it but I believe Evans has more potential than Pique
and will prove he is up to the job if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think we have plenty of cover at the back.

We have 4 central defenders in Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown and Evans.
Evans will get his chace now that Pique has gone. I think Evans has more potential than Pique.

We are also well covered in the full back positions.
The addition of the 2 brazilian twins will be interesting. I think they may get some games in the League Cup and could well play in other matches depending on injuries. I have read up on them both and they are both potential superstars.
We have Neville, oshea, simpson, rafael and fabio, evra, silvestre and hargreaves of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do believe that we need to strengthen the defence but by doin this we wont be able to give the younger generation of players to come up and prove them selves. no wot a mean???

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
We aren't going to get defenders any better than we've got to be patient and wait for their chances, such as O'Shea, Evans, Silvestre etc.

Its fair to say they are not World Class players. But they are very good players and are certainly good enough to play for us and provide cover.

A World Class defender isn't going to come to United to sit on the bench.

Jazz 16 said:
Agreed, holding onto Silvestre is important. People dont give him the credit he deserves.
I absolutely agree.

I've said on many occasions that yes, Silvestre isn't the best as a CB imo.

But hes still a great LB. Hes quick and is one of the best crossers at the club, not to mention a threat at set pieces.

I would love to keep him, and think he should stay. People tend to forget hes coming up to his testimonial year at United.

Hes been a great servant at the club and fully deserves his place at the club.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts