Manchester United Talk banner

Anyone good at maths? (UCL)

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  abojodeh 
#1 ·
I've been trying to work out the percentage chance that an english club will meet another english club in the last 8 of the UCL.

4 english clubs, 8 teams are left.

I made it to be 57.2% chance. I'm probably way wrong as i haven't done any maths in ages. Its definately not 50% though. Well i think it isn't.

So anyone doing maths A level / degree or anything know the answer to this?

#6 ·
actually i make it 77.1% chance of an english quarter final taking place.

therefore chances of an all english semi is very slim but we'll have to wait and see what happens

Hadi said:
Hello,,

There are 3 English teams out of 7 that we might play against.. so it is 42.86 %
thats the chance of man utd meeting an english club.

i was on about the chance of at least one english clash

thats 24/35 + 3/35 so 27/35 = 77.1% aprox

chances of no english clash is there fore 22.9%

so 22.9% chance of an all english semifinal if all english clubs progress through the quarters and no english club has met another club in the quarters

G
#10 ·
Sir Alex hails English power

The Premier League is now indisputably leading the way in Europe, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

United are one of four English teams in the hat for Friday’s Champions League quarter final draw (12:00 GMT), along with one side each from Spain, Germany, Italy and Turkey. Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are also still involved and Sir Alex believes that demonstrates the quality of English football.

“I think the Premier League is the strongest in Europe,” he told MUTV. “For a spell it was the Spanish league – I remember about seven or eight years ago they had three teams in the semi-finals and Spanish football was really strong, but I think the English game has now reached that level.

“You expect three of the four English teams to be in the semi finals this year, unless they are drawn against each other [in the quarter-finals]. We now have a 40% chance of being drawn against an English team, which is a measure of the quality of this division.”

United have never experienced an all-English tie in the Champions League, but the manager is relaxed about what Friday’s draw has in store, which will also reveal potential semi-finals opponents.

He said: “Once the format changed and three or four teams from each country were allowed into the competition, it was inevitable that they would face each other at some point, so I’m always geared to playing against an English team. It doesn’t matter who we get in the quarter-finals. Knowing who you’ll get in the semi-finals as well is an incentive, but we’ll take what we get.”

#13 ·
We have a 14.2% chance of being drawn against any particular team.

There's a 57.2% chance that we will be drawn against one of the four non-english sides.

The chances of us drawing one of the three lesser sides (you know who they are), and, the chances of us drawing an english side, are both 42.8%

The chances of all the english teams avoiding each other in the draw is 23%.

#14 ·
man utd v lpool
man utd v chelsea
man utd v arse
man utd v fener
man utd v Roma
man utd v Schalke
man utd v Barca

lpool v chelsea
lpool v arsenal
lpool v fener
lpool v Roma
lpool v Schalke
lpool v Barca

chelsea v arsenal
chelsea v fener
chelsea v Roma
chelsea v Schalke
chelsea v Barca

arsenal v fener
arsenal v Roma
arsenal v Schalke
arsenal v Barca

fener v Roma
fener v Schalke
fener v Barca

Roma v Schalke
Roma v Barca

Schalke v Barca

28 possible ties (i think lol)

6 possible all english ties.

so 6/28 * 100
= 21.429%

My guess lol

#17 ·
SolskjaertheLegend said:
how did you work that out carly?
I worked it out wrong I think ...

The correct way is to work out the chance of one English tesam drawing another.

United to draw ANY English team is 3/7 or 42.86%

If it happens this leaves 2 English and 4 foreign teams.

So the chances of another all English tie is 1/5 or 20%

42.86% + 20% leaves 37.14% chance of no English teams being drawn together

:confused:

Maybe ......

This belongs in Football Banter too, lol

#20 ·
Jazz 16 said:
We have a 14.2% chance of being drawn against any particular team.

There's a 57.2% chance that we will be drawn against one of the four non-english sides.

The chances of us drawing one of the three lesser sides (you know who they are), and, the chances of us drawing an english side, are both 42.8%

The chances of all the english teams avoiding each other in the draw is 23%.
What are people so confused about?:rolleyes:

#23 ·
If Man United were paying 10 - 1 to beat Roma I would place my family's house, two cars, my brother, all my university faculties computers & my life savings on it and I wouldn't even be nervous. Heck I'd throw in my vital organs and take out a loan while I was at it. Remember folks, it's only a gambling problem when your losing. :) Scary thing is, If Man United were 10 - 1 to beat Roma, I'm not entirely sure that I wouldn't do just that. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.