Insua, Mascherano
Benayoun
Skrtel
Kuyt
Agger
Ngog
Dossena
El Zhar

That was their full squad yesterday. Not a single Englishman in it. Even Arsenal these days have been playing the young left back Gibbs and Walcott on the wing. Liverpool would probably have Gerrard and Carragher in there if they were at full strength, but in one or two years when they both retire they've got no obvious replacements. looks like Liverpool are heading down the Arsenal route of only buying foreign players.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Interesting enough. I didnt think they were that low on Englishmen.
Having a core/spine of English players is important to the clubs and imperative to domestic success.
Like you said above with ourselves and Chelsea. Villa and Everton have it as well and its proving vital to their success.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd buy mostly foreign players. A guy from Africa or a place of a similar standing will play out of his shoes, and for a lot less.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Drogba, Eto'o, Eboue....all lazy, spoilt and rich.
They are now, Drogba at Marseille busted his ass to get where he was. And you named 3 guys :rolleyes: The first two I'd love to have.

Its a known fact that English players cost a ton more. 6+5 would only add to the overpricing of the top tier English players.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Not a bad route if you ask me.

Here's to hoping the 6+5 never comes into play.
Why the hell would you think that? You're obviously not English. 6+5 rule means that Liverpool will have to draft in any English players they can get, and they wont be good. 6+5 comes in, Liverpool become shit. I am so backing 6+5.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Why the hell would you think that? You're obviously not English. 6+5 rule means that Liverpool will have to draft in any English players they can get, and they wont be good. 6+5 comes in, Liverpool become shit. I am so backing 6+5.
Yes. Why not? Let's advocate a rule so it disturbs our rivals.

Why don't we advocate rules against Spanish managers too, while
we're at it?

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying its a hell of a lot more cost efficient to get talent from abroad.
Who the **** told you that? That doesnt make any sense at all and I really dont know how you can have any sort of logical decision making centre in your brain and think that. Buying shit that has a 50/50 chance of flopping compared to homegrown talent that is guaranteed not to "fail to adapt to English football" or "get homesick".

What the hell man sort of your viewpoint.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying its a hell of a lot more cost efficient to get talent from abroad.
yes i agree, i kinda hope it comes in though, counting UK players, because baCK in the day Giggs would count as a foreigner which is unfair really considering he's from the country next door - IN THE UK - anyway this would wreck the arse and the poo so it might be to our benefit

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
It depends.

Brazilian/Argentinian clubs sell the products of their youth
sector quite cheaply, unlike English clubs who keep them close.

Then again, buying Macheda and Petrucci wasn't easy or cheap.

We pay for Petrucci's regular trips to Rome, his house, his wages which
are 2x the Academy average, if not more, AND we gave his Dad
a job. Not to mention we paid £200k to Roma as a nominal fee.

Conclusively he'll have cost about £1mil. before his first ever match.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Aslong as the 6+5 thing involves British player and not just English then I'll be happpy with it.

I can't see how Giggs, Fletcher, Evans ect should be considered foreigners.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Aslong as the 6+5 thing involves British player and not just English then I'll be happpy with it.

I can't see how Giggs, Fletcher, Evans ect should be considered foreigners.
This is to strengthen English's national team, so such players will still be considered foreigners.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
This is to strengthen English's national team, so such players will still be considered foreigners.
i thought it was to stop the money driven heavy foreign influence, therefore benefitting ALL the home nations? if this is true then **** it - cos that is VERY unfair - if all home nation players count as part of the 6 then it's ok

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Who the **** told you that? That doesnt make any sense at all and I really dont know how you can have any sort of logical decision making centre in your brain and think that. Buying shit that has a 50/50 chance of flopping compared to homegrown talent that is guaranteed not to "fail to adapt to English football" or "get homesick".

What the hell man sort of your viewpoint.
I strongly disagree, lets say we dont get shit out of our academy, What are we going to do?, buy english players from other teams, and that for certain will be heavily overpriced compared to lets say buying a young african kid etc.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I strongly disagree, lets say we dont get shit out of our academy, What are we going to do?, buy english players from other teams, and that for certain will be heavily overpriced compared to lets say buying a young african kid etc.
Either way, if you marry an English woman you get citizenship.

The priests will be busy.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
An English club should have a core of English players.
Agree fully

Liverpool also have 0 decent English prospects coming through...

If they don't get Barry in the summer, they could well be the next Arsenal...

Arsenal have some great British/English talent coming through, Rhys Murphy, Lansbury, Wilshere, Gibbs etc...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts