Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another post in the Anderson thread:
Maybe maybe. But thing is, Fergie may not play him again the next game even if he looked encouraging in the last and will probably quickly recall/abuse old warhorse Scholes or even Giggs.

A side point: how can we ever have a stable engine room if we keep changing the type of oil used? Carrick/Scholes, Carrick/Giggs, Carrick/Anderson, Carrick/Cleverley, Anderson/Cleverley..... Make a guess for the next game.

Edit: I believe there are 2 areas you can't afford tinkermanship: defence and engine room.
So simply, do we tinker too much? Even for a keeper, we can't have a confident keeper on rotational basis though not detrimental. I am easy on attacking combo for varied effects but think not on defence and engine room.

Or is it a necessary 'evil' to keep everybody happy? If so, to what extent or costs to our performance?

Shoot...

·
freaky fangirl
374 Posts
We do, I have never seen a team who changes players all the time, it confuses me and I bet the players are even more confused, Fergie should find that right formation & players and just tweak it a little bit from time to time for the team to gel even more.

and when I say right players & formation I mean we need Kagawa, Rooney & RVP playing on the pitch every time

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do, I have never seen a team who changes players all the time, it confuses me and I bet the players are even more confused, Fergie should find that right formation & players and just tweak it a little bit from time to time for the team to gel even more.

and when I say right players & formation I mean we need Kagawa, Rooney & RVP playing on the pitch every time
I would say make no more than 3 changes only to freshen things up or for tactical purposes, any more than that is suspicious of tinkermanship for the sake of wanting to tinker. We need a core group as base, not keep tinkering even the base.

·
Proud hater of Scousers since 1979
3,031 Posts
Fergie definitely ''tinkers'' more than other managers who have gained a reputation for squad rotation, theres benefits but clear negatives as well as players never get used to stability. I prefer stability and a regular spine to the team unless poor form forces changes.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
We are very guilty of tinkermanship. I honestly have no idea who we will play or what formation we use leading up to games. Fergie always comes up with a surprise, especially in big games. It seems to have increased with each passing season.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are very guilty of tinkermanship. I honestly have no idea who we will play or what formation we use leading up to games. Fergie always comes up with a surprise, especially in big games. It seems to have increased with each passing season.
To think that we used to laugh at Claudio Ranieri which I believe was how the term first came about.

·
VIDA !!! will murder you..
1,637 Posts
matchday threads wont be so interesting if we play with same formation and players every week.. :)

·
3,031 Posts
Tbf a lot of it is forced through injuries.
Valid reason but sadly even if we was injury free Fergie still would tinker with formation, positioning and line-up. The only place he has never tinkered with in the past is with LB for some God known reason.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i think the tinkering serves a number of purposes:

1] keeps players on their toes
2] gives reserves a glimmer of hope of getting a game
3] allows the squad to be fresher at the backe end of the season - no coincidence we seem to be able to carry on where others may run out of steam
4] keeps fringe players happy and ready to step in
5] keeps the opposition guessing on the line up
and finally -
6 ] keeps SAF's mnd occupied. imagine how boring it would be if he didnt have to work on formations and tactics each week/

·
Registered
672 Posts

this.

Plus, we REALLY do have a large squad. I think I could name 25 (or so) players who can push for a place in the starting line-up in 95% of our games.

·
3,031 Posts

1] keeps players on their toes
2] gives reserves a glimmer of hope of getting a game
3] allows the squad to be fresher at the backe end of the season - no coincidence we seem to be able to carry on where others may run out of steam
4] keeps fringe players happy and ready to step in
and finally -
6 ] keeps SAF's mnd occupied. imagine how boring it would be if he didnt have to work on formations and tactics each week/
1, Yeah that Explains Evra's world class form over the last few seasons...fear of being dropped
2, Pogba agreed so much he had to move for less first team opportunities so he could rest (y)
3, Again it is a valid point until you see that Fergie wasted that ''freshness'' when he refuses to strengthen in key areas and repeatedly relies upon two near 40 year olds.
4, Again Petrucci and Pogba likes this.
5, Rafael at CM, Berbatov at CB, Welbeck and Diouff on the left wing...masterpieces of confusing the opposition. I am sure Citeh were also just as confused seeing Park and Giggs in the centre against them last season.
6, His mind should be occupied enough on signing a strong holding/ball winning midfielder...getting new training staff...to solve the problem of why we have such a diabolical injury record.

As i have said, squad riotation is a great reason...but it rings hollow when Evra is undroppable and an ever present despite his form not being worthy of that honour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, until two seasons ago Fergie had an amazing record for games in a row without the same starting eleven, and to be fair with him it worked brilliantly all these years and I ask you this, what has changed suddenly that it's not working now? Nothing! With the amount of injuries we already have in these areas every season, you have to rotate to decrease the odds for this to happend, can't wear out the players. Lucky for us we got enough quality in the team to do so.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Well, until two seasons ago Fergie had an amazing record for games in a row without the same starting eleven, and to be fair with him it worked brilliantly all these years and I ask you this, what has changed suddenly that it's not working now? Nothing! With the amount of injuries we already have in these areas every season, you have to rotate to decrease the odds for this to happend, can't wear out the players. Lucky for us we got enough quality in the team to do so.
No we haven't, that's the issue. We're still relying on the likes of Giggs and Scholes because we're not bringing enough quality in. Up front we're insanely good - fair on the wings and bare in defence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No we haven't, that's the issue. We're still relying on the likes of Giggs and Scholes because we're not bringing enough quality in. Up front we're insanely good - fair on the wings and bare in defence.
Look, I don't like the reliance on the older lads any more than you do, but you can't always start Cleverly in CM, Giggs and Scholes are needed to give him some rest, and unless you are a muppet who wants us to splash 40 Mil for a good CM and than using Cleverly as second option, we don't have any choice.

·
3,031 Posts
Look, I don't like the reliance on the older lads any more than you do, but you can't always start Cleverly in CM, Giggs and Scholes are needed to give him some rest, and unless you are a muppet who wants us to splash 40 Mil for a good CM and than using Cleverly as second option, we don't have any choice.
Its not a matter of rest or Fabio would have a damned sight more performances for us under his belt. Fergies mind is warped at times despite a God like record and his decisions are baffling...just to add to the ones i listed earlier who would have had Quinton Fortune as LB eh? But he does rotate the starting eleven far too much than what is needed (injuries aside) and has even ''rested/dropped'' players on top form which baffles me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts