Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Roy Keane had been playing tonight against Aalborg he would have gone
beserk on his team mates on numerous occasions.

We played one of the worst teams in the CL and we were not totally
convincing and quite sloppy at times, especially the likes of Nani.

Scholes isnt vocal on the pitch as we know and the likes of Giggs, O'Shea,
Carrick, Ron, Berba, Tevez and co. wont give a team mate a load of stick for
mucking up the way Roy Keane used to do.

I think we need more of this, cos we can be much sharper and finish games
off quicker. Some players just need a b0llocking sometimes to make them
get the finger out and start playing properly.

Are we lacking a bit of leadership do you think?
or do we have enough leaders in the team?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Ferdinand was shouting most of the time but for nothing tho :p

i think Rio is the right captain and when he gets the armband his confidence gets doubles and start showing the right attitude of a captain :)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
*cough*..Listening to Eamo Jazz? :p ;)

lol

No...I think we do have the leadership. Rio is a leader, Gary is a leader, Rooney
WILL be a leader....

people like to nit pick at United when they win so, I'm not worried about it TBH.
Only thing is, we need to get a consistant game going.

But leadership is not lacking IMO

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
I dont think we lack leadership.Rio's a great captain and does sort them out.I think what we do miss is that extra umpf in the middle just give people a bit of a roasting.Not so much a captain,but just that prescence around some of the younger boys to kick them into touch!!!

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Ferdinand is a good captain, but obviously being a center back, it doesn't seem like he can get his message across to the attackers as he'd have to shout loud enough over crowd noise to get to people 60 yards away.

I find he shouts alot at the defenders and keeper, but haven't seen him do it to wingers/strikers.

Roy Keane playing CM gave him the opportunity to shout at everyone.

I'd love to see what Keane would have done if he was on the pitch with Nani playing like that, probably would have put Nani in tears lol.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rooneys_Temper said:
I dont think we lack leadership.Rio's a great captain and does sort them out.I think what we do miss is that extra umpf in the middle just give people a bit of a roasting.Not so much a captain,but just that prescence around some of the younger boys to kick them into touch!!!

christianoharleiro said:
Ferdinand is a good captain, but obviously being a center back, it doesn't seem like he can get his message across to the attackers as he'd have to shout loud enough over crowd noise to get to people 60 yards away.

I find he shouts alot at the defenders and keeper, but haven't seen him do it to wingers/strikers.

Roy Keane playing CM gave him the opportunity to shout at everyone.

I'd love to see what Keane would have done if he was on the pitch with Nani playing like that, probably would have put Nani in tears lol.

Good posts lads. This is the point I was trying to get across. Rio does the job
great, but its in the middle where we need a true leader who is warrior like.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
If Roy Keane had been playing tonight against Aalborg he would have gone
beserk on his team mates on numerous occasions.

We played one of the worst teams in the CL and we were not totally
convincing and quite sloppy at times, especially the likes of Nani.

Scholes isnt vocal on the pitch as we know and the likes of Giggs, O'Shea,
Carrick, Ron, Berba, Tevez and co. wont give a team mate a load of stick for
mucking up the way Roy Keane used to do.

I think we need more of this, cos we can be much sharper and finish games
off quicker. Some players just need a b0llocking sometimes to make them
get the finger out and start playing properly.

Are we lacking a bit of leadership do you think?
or do we have enough leaders in the team?
are you Eamonn Dunphy???!!!

Nani was a disgrace yet again!! he drives me nuts sometimes! Ferguson is our ultimate leader and he should have given Rooney or Ferdinand who are our next 2 captains license to tell him off if he selfishly wasted the ball... but ultimately fergie himself should have taken Nani off at half time and told him he would never play for the club again if he ever put on a performance like that again,,, Nani aint a United player... and im sick of ppl saying hes like a young Ronaldo, he's like a 17 yr old Ronaldo not a 22 yr old! i await him to prove me wrong

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
eoininho said:
Nani was a disgrace yet again!! he drives me nuts sometimes! Ferguson is our ultimate leader and he should have given Rooney or Ferdinand who are our next 2 captains license to tell him off if he selfishly wasted the ball... but ultimately fergie himself should have taken Nani off at half time and told him he would never play for the club again if he ever put on a performance like that again,,, Nani aint a United player... and im sick of ppl saying hes like a young Ronaldo, he's like a 17 yr old Ronaldo not a 22 yr old! i await him to prove me wrong
good post .

i thought nani was selfish in the extreme , he seems to shoot everytime he gets sight of goal, often ignoring the easy option, hes like a kid playing 5 a side trying to run rings around everyone before popping the ball in the net, its so frustrating to watch and i can only imagine its the same playing with him.
nani should be looking to emulate giggs , who better to learn from, if nani had half of giggs team ethic he would be a truly great winger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Good posts lads. This is the point I was trying to get across. Rio does the job
great, but its in the middle where we need a true leader who is warrior like.

i agree, we've been lucky the last 15yrs or so as we've had a strong figure in midfield. Robson, Ince and Keane have all been ideally positioned to give a rocket when needed. Hargreaves could do this job if he could stay fit long enough.

I would just like to make a point about Nani as he's been mentioned in a few posts. It wasn't many seasons ago when you could just about divide the fans down the middle on Ronaldo and his at times extravagant play, look at him now. Nanny and Anderson are the same, rough diamonds that need the edges polishing. Give them a chance, I'm sure Fergie didn't expect to have to play them as much as he did last season and for them to play so well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rooney will be a great captain one day, he just needs a few more years and a bit more maturing. also agree with you manc hargraves could be a great captain if only he didn't get injured every month.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Rooney is a leader but he isnt ready yet. As we have seen many times, Rio has leadership qualities. But NO-ONE can replace Roy Keane. Thats for sure. Giggs is a leader. Gary is Club Captain and has shown leadership qualities

We are not Lacking Leaders

P.S Jazz , Nani would have played the same way even if Keano was there. We would have taken a lot of stick though !

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Interesting point. One that I have not given much thought, but yes, I would agree with Jazz. (Don't die of shock Jazz!)

United have always made big the friendship and camaraderie of the team but does it always work? In the 50s Busby era, the manager made sure that his club captain did not get "too pally" with the team, was the only one allowed to approach the boss and he was the ONE in charge.

Now, the captain is most likely found out with the lads on an away trip and is seen with them socially.

Its one thing to be friendly, but he also needs to have an iron hand on the field. Keane was such and so was Robson. The present club Captain, Neville, has grown up with his mates. Rio is one of the boys, as is Giggs.

Yes, we do need a leader, one who is not afraid to scream at his mates when they make a balls up, we do not have one at present.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I agree that we need a leader in the middle of the park.

Some have called for Rooney to take on this responsibility, but his decision-making is suspect at times too.

We need a midfield general, who makes consistently good decisions and who is respected by his team mates to tell them, if they are mucking up or being too elaborate. I was hoping Hargreaves could be that guy when we signed him, but he doesn't have the fitness or temperament.

So?

well I guess Rooney is our best bet afterall, because Carrick doesn't impose himself enough on games yet or seem to command the respect of his team mates.

I have to say though that gary might have given nani an ear-full had he been on the pitch.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I do not see any particular member of the current team as a worthy captain. I can not see Rooney as one either, I do not think he would carry the menace that Keane managed to impress with. We need

another Keane

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i think we have rio vds and vida to an extent as leaders at the back - and in front we have scholse ( leader by his attitude, not by shouting etc ) and rooney and tevez who spend more time in the middle that in attack..what i said about scholes goes for tevez too - with his display he just drags the entire team forward

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well i will say this, i dont like the way the captaincy is thrown around. Either Rio's captain or he isn't. Giggs cant be named Captain because he doesnt get through enough games and the same can now be said about Gary Neville. I also think it will be the makeing of Rio.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts