Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
futbol said:
P.S Jazz , Nani would have played the same way even if Keano was there. He would have taken a lot of stick though !
Wrong. After the first 2 balls he fluffed Keane would have been roaring at him, and
he wouldnt have made the same mistake again. He would have started to play
it simple at the very least. Keane would have MADE him do that.
I didnt see one person give him a b0llocking last night. I sure as hell would have
had I been playing.

Someone else mentioned Hargo. I think he has what it takes to become a vocal
leader in the middle and the heartbeat of the team. Well I hope so anyway.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
but he doesn't have the fitness or temperament.
he doesn't have the temperament? how so?

If we were to have a midfielder as captain the only player who could maybe do it is hargreaves, he works his ass off for the team, does the simple things well and also seems very mentally strong - in every interview ive seen of him, his behaviour on the pitch, his performance in the world cup after getting alot of criticism etc.

Being brought up in Germany, he hasn't grown up with his teammates like you said Neville has, I've seen him shout and scream alot and he has the arrogance to take a free kick over Ronaldo without asking him.

I think he has every attribute needed to be a captain, one big problem though - fitness.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The only player with that fire in him is Anderson, and he is years off been captain.
But he is still the only one that has what it takes

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
The only player with that fire in him is Anderson, and he is years off been captain.
But he is still the only one that has what it takes
I don't think a non-british player will get the captaincy - also he doesn't seem like the type to shout at his teammates, I can see everyone liking him and he seems too easy going and laid back to be a captain.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
I don't think a non-british player will get the captaincy - also he doesn't seem like the type to shout at his teammates, I can see everyone liking him and he seems too easy going and laid back to be a captain.
He aint laid back, Anderson is like a Bull when he plays. And many clubs have had non british Capatins, can you remember who was captain for Arsenals invincibles?
That day and age is gone, football teams are one now not one nation

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
I think Ferdy should be permanent captain, he plays better when the weight of captaincy is on his shoulders....plus we are fazing neville and giggs out now so why are they still before him! mayb after this season he will be named was captain.

·
23,699 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree.

Since Keano left, there is nobody else who has that kind of authority or commands that sort of respect and awe. Momentary inspiration perhaps from a particular superlative performance from a player (usually Ronaldo) but leadership by example or by harsh words, no holds barred, when the chips are down, NO. So it is true that "there is only one Keano...".

I see Rio barking out orders, leading the defence line well or giving an annoyed stare when the defending is slack. Certainly good for our defensive aspect. But as some pointed out, he is a CB only. The most vital link is still always the midfield. This is where our old guards, Giggs and Scholes, are just not natural leaders on the pitch. The younger players may be impressed and inspired by their medals and records at United but on the pitch when the game is proceeding, there is really nobody around to kick their asses.

Rooney looks like a leader with his efforts and desires every single game but I doubt he is communicative enough to be an effective leader like Keano. All credit to him though for his swash-buckling style and again, probably inspiration (only) by example.

So who can and willing to take up this unglamorous task? I can't think of any one at the moment.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I already stated I hope Owen Hargreaves can be the midfield general, but the shouting at team mates you talk about is rare. Can you name me the times you have seen it happen?

In general he has been quite timid and still earning his spurs.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
I can't name you exact games ive seen it, hardly gonna remember something like that ^^. I've also seen him shouting and screaming at the referees - which shows he does let his emotions out and puts his point across.

He aint laid back, Anderson is like a Bull when he plays. And many clubs have had non british Capatins, can you remember who was captain for Arsenals invincibles?
That day and age is gone, football teams are one now not one nation
I meant Andersons personality is laid back in that I can't see him shouting at teammates. Not that he doesn't run around like a bull. For example - Rooney runs around like a bull/plays like a bull - but do you think Rooney and Anderson have similar personalitys?

I wasn't talking about other clubs, as we were talking about Man Utd captains - maybe I should have made it easier for you;

I DONT THINK A NON-BRITISH PLAYER WILL GET THE CAPTAINCY FOR MAN UTD.

Do you know how many players not from the UK/Ireland have captained manchester united EVER?

ONE in 130-odd years. and the guy only did it for a year.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
versa said:
I wholeheartedly agree.

Since Keano left, there is nobody else who has that kind of authority or commands that sort of respect and awe. Momentary inspiration perhaps from a particular superlative performance from a player (usually Ronaldo) but leadership by example or by harsh words, no holds barred, when the chips are down, NO. So it is true that "there is only one Keano...".

I see Rio barking out orders, leading the defence line well or giving an annoyed stare when the defending is slack. Certainly good for our defensive aspect. But as some pointed out, he is a CB only. The most vital link is still always the midfield. This is where our old guards, Giggs and Scholes, are just not natural leaders on the pitch. The younger players may be impressed and inspired by their medals and records at United but on the pitch when the game is proceeding, there is really nobody around to kick their asses.

Rooney looks like a leader with his efforts and desires every single game but I doubt he is communicative enough to be an effective leader like Keano. All credit to him though for his swash-buckling style and again, probably inspiration (only) by example.

So who can and willing to take up this unglamorous task? I can't think of any one at the moment.
I agree.

However, I think Hargreaves can do that role personality wise. But if he can't stay fit to take up that role on a regular basis, I'm guessing thats not a good idea ;)

I also don't think that passing the armband around helps either. Since Ferdinand players a large majority of games, and Giggs and Neville don't play often and are meant to be being phased out, I think Ferdinand should be made captain on a full-time basis, with perhaps one of perhaps Vidic, Brown, Hargreaves, Giggs, Neville being vice-captain.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
What I don't like about Rio's leadership is his seeming unwillingness to accept blame when he makes a mistake.

Witness the CL final - he made huge gaffes in the same sequence that allowed chelski to score (a goal that almost cost us the European Championship) and he still looked around for someone else to blame.

Leadership is ultimately taking responsibility for your own actions first and foremost - then worrying about others.

·
23,699 Posts
moondog said:
What I don't like about Rio's leadership is his seeming unwillingness to accept blame when he makes a mistake.

Witness the CL final - he made huge gaffes in the same sequence that allowed chelski to score (a goal that almost cost us the European Championship) and he still looked around for someone else to blame.

Leadership is ultimately taking responsibility for your own actions first and foremost - then worrying about others.
Sad to say, excellent point.

So looks like we don't have a natural good leader at the moment...

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I think that rio is the loud one and he deerves to be our captain. Yes he makes angry remarks sometimes, but he knows how to motivates you as well

·
Registered
734 Posts
i dont think rio is the answer, i dont think he has the presence that keane had, he doesnt lift the team, we are lacking a leader and it does show in some of the performances hopefully some1 will step up but i dont think it is rio and it wont be rooney altho i hoped it would be, he has plenty of aggression but he seems to get more frustrated with himself than with others.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I totally agree, we lack this intimidating leadership role just like the good old days with Keane shouting his head off on what to do and correct them and warn them for stupid mistakes! More further urge for the team, so we wont lose the ball by giving it aay cheaply, so yeah i totally agree!

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
to some degree i can agree we are lacking in leadership but i dont get why the glum points of view over all this

last season with the same leadership as this season look what we won

fair play nev didnt really play at all last season but giggs and rio still lead us to glory

but then i agree when people say we havnt got the keano type of leadership but at the end of the day keano was one in a million

my tip is rooney in 2 years, hes for sure a player who can grab a team at the scruf of the neck and win them the match perhaps not to the degree gerrard or keano can but hes got it in him i promise you

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
thinking future-wise still not convinced enough by rio...the rooney thing is interesting tho...could be another beckham scenario for england , in that the captaincy is the final piece of the jigsaw in making him gr8. hes got the desire, aint afraind to yell at the others, though he's no genius he knows his football tho- only problem could see there tho is that he is not necessarily going to be playing every game. like it or not think rio is the long term main man on the pitch

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
scottsati said:
thinking future-wise still not convinced enough by rio...the rooney thing is interesting tho...could be another beckham scenario for england , in that the captaincy is the final piece of the jigsaw in making him gr8. hes got the desire, aint afraind to yell at the others, though he's no genius he knows his football tho- only problem could see there tho is that he is not necessarily going to be playing every game. like it or not think rio is the long term main man on the pitch

yeah rooney is the man for the job i beleive fergie in the past has tipped him for it

and good point bout him playing week in week out well if not you may see a suprise like carrick or hargo bein given a vice role maybe even vidic

but as for this season giggs, nev, and rio will do me just fine

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
yeah rooney is the man for the job i beleive fergie in the past has tipped him for it

and good point bout him playing week in week out well if not you may see a suprise like carrick or hargo bein given a vice role maybe even vidic

but as for this season giggs, nev, and rio will do me just fine
yeh m8 hopefully long term rooney is the man. would love to see his attitude rewarded have noticed a gr8 change in the last 12 months he's kept the aggression and passion but lost the stupid petulance that got him in stupid scrapes before. the guy now knows the keano, neville secret of there been a time and place. was gr8 to see him recently been the peacemaker, the guy with the level head makin sure we still had 11 on the pitch rather than been the nutter who gets sent off for nothing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
to some degree i can agree we are lacking in leadership but i dont get why the glum points of view over all this

last season with the same leadership as this season look what we won

fair play nev didnt really play at all last season but giggs and rio still lead us to glory

but then i agree when people say we havnt got the keano type of leadership but at the end of the day keano was one in a million

my tip is rooney in 2 years, hes for sure a player who can grab a team at the scruf of the neck and win them the match perhaps not to the degree gerrard or keano can but hes got it in him i promise you
Yea i agree. We're not cryin out for a new captain or anything. We're doing alrite
the way it is. Roy Keane type leadership is very very rare.

There's not many captains at any clubs that has a respect and fear
of the other players like Keane did. He demanded everyone played to the best of
there ability and led from the front. He demanded from others what he demanded
from himself. This is rare in a player nowadays, the only player i can think of that
has what Keane had here is Terry at Chelsea. I think Rooney would make a great
captain in a few years. He would lead from the front. When he becomes a senior
player and young players are coming into the team i think he would be well able
to b0llick them out of it for slacking. At the moment Gazza is captain and is not
afraid to let others know he isn't happy. Remember he wasn't playin the other
night when Nani should of got the head taken off him!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.