Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the face of Arsenal's eleventh hour collapse there has been no shortage of people saying that Wenger's penny pinching may save money but has cost them the title. I am of a mind to agree and I'm all for United spending big money to land big names. That's not what I'm worried about. What I am worried about is wages. What people don't really hear about is that not only does Wenger spend small in transfers, he refuses to be held to ransom over wages. To make my point I'll get straight into the numbers. Adebayor, Hleb & Flamini(unless he leaves) all earn less than £50,000 per week. We just gave Wes Brown a new deal for £60,000 per week. See my point yet? Can you truly say that Wes Brown contributes more to United than Adebayor, Hleb or Flamini contributes to Arsenal? Wenger has a £50,000 a week ceiling that he tries to stick to with most players. Only Gallas & Fabregas make more than that. In Fabregas' case he makes £80,000 a week which is only slightly more than Brown. Evra's been stalling on a new contract maybe because he wants a pay rise and I wouldn't mind giving it to him because he's worth every penny. Still United have this reputation for being easy to milk for cash. I can't help but feel that this hurts us everytime we try to buy a player. Clubs will bump up the price because they know that United always get what they want. Players are also comfortable holding out for more money because they know that United will probably give it. Does this bother anyone else?

·
Banned
96 Posts
yes we are

i think the club has got some bad times coming up off the pitch

even if we win the champ league and league we are still in huge trouble !

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
in trouble ? we make the most money out of any club in the league and probably in the world ... it's all well and good about adebayor and hleb earning minimal funds but sooner or later a madrid or barca or milan will come in and offer double maybe triple what they earn at arsenal and they will demand a transfer thats why their sides breakdown so quickly, for example viera henry pires campbell reyes all of these players have been offerd more elsewhere whilst we keep players on such as giggs and scholes who are still on very high wages even though theyve seen their best days .. my point is we have a continuous period of success whilst tight wenger has to scrap everything every 3-4 years a build from scratch :)

·
Banned
96 Posts
Drew9 said:
in trouble ? we make the most money out of any club in the league and probably in the world ... it's all well and good about adebayor and hleb earning minimal funds but sooner or later a madrid or barca or milan will come in and offer double maybe triple what they earn at arsenal and they will demand a transfer thats why their sides breakdown so quickly, for example viera henry pires campbell reyes all of these players have been offerd more elsewhere whilst we keep players on such as giggs and scholes who are still on very high wages even though theyve seen their best days .. my point is we have a continuous period of success whilst tight wenger has to scrap everything every 3-4 years a build from scratch :)

we made 60million profit last year and thats nothing that went on paying off the debt

it says we are the richest due to us making 250million but 60million is profit the rest goes to glazer gill fergie and wages.

people seem so obsessed with succes and if we win things then everything is ok

ermmm

reality check people

just because united are massive doesnt mean they are untouchable

·
Registered
488 Posts
We do have to be careful on this... It's may cause to be some problem in times to come... We really need to plan for the future as well... Look what happen to Leeds? The problem with player nowadays is that their agent are those that demand plenty not them... They are the ones taking the money without any contribution to the game... We should consider how to solve the debts soon... If this goes on, it's not very healthy for the next manager... He have juggle with little to acheive much... Rather difficult...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
these crazy wages and disgraceful behaviour of some professional players in this country are starting to tarnish the image of our great game for me,i just don't get the same buzz from the game anymore over the last 5 years the game has definatley gone downhill for me.
its rapidly outpricing the average fan and thats at all the clubs a seat at any league club will cost an adult £20 minimum up to £60 at some clubs add travelling expenses and food and drink and you've got a whopping bill,people on low wages cannot afford to attend all the home games let alone follow their clubs away ,and this is all because the players and agents believe their worth £100 k a week and more and more are getting near this crazy figure we read every week that players want extra pay ,my love of this game is rapidly dying and the enjoyment levels are falling every season . within 10 years a lot of clubs will fold and stadiums will be half empty unless this greed by the players and agents can be rectified , some of these players earn more in a month than a normal person earns in a lifetime ,i cannot defend them anymore its spoiling the game for me and many more people agree with these views too.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
the main difference between us and arse is that we have a lot of players who did well and their contracts were at an end...ronaldo last
season,ferdinand,brown,carrick and the time for renewal always came at a time when they were playing really well......ronaldo had a great seaons and we renewed his contract...thsi year ferdinand had a great seaons and we renewd his contract becase we cant lose ferdinand...brown would have left on a free transfer if we hadnt signed him....carrick is also the same case.....
arsenal had a lot of players playing really well this season...adebayor,hleb,flamini etc has revelled this season mainly and if they are to renew their contract now they will get a considerable pay rise....fabregas had his main seaons last year and he got is reward..dunno about gallas.......if anyone is to get a new contract im sure they will be asking for more....they know they are important or arse....they will ask for more

but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
9 Posts
I find it strange that Carrick got a new contract and pay rise when he is only in his second season ,and while he has done ok he has hardly set the world alight , surely he was on big money anyway considering the size of the transfer fee we paid for him.
As for Brown im glad he stayed and now i just want to see Evra sign

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
cassidy said:
I find it strange that Carrick got a new contract and pay rise when he is only in his second season ,and while he has done ok he has hardly set the world alight , surely he was on big money anyway considering the size of the transfer fee we paid for him.
As for Brown im glad he stayed and now i just want to see Evra sign
Carrick's in our top 5 performer's this season.

Ronaldo, Rio, Rooney, Evra, Carrick. Brown in there, Anderson obviously.

I think Carrick's been our best midfielder.

Carrick was essential in us getting the title last season.

Without him would have seen John O'Shea in the centre :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Look players wages will always rise thats football so if you want the best you have to pay the best unfortunatley that means ticket prices will rise .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
Carrick's in our top 5 performer's this season.
Agreed
Ronaldo, Rio, Rooney, Evra, Carrick. Brown in there, Anderson obviously.
Agreed
I think Carrick's been our best midfielder.
Totally agree
Carrick was essential in us getting the title last season.
Agreed once again
Without him would have seen John O'Shea in the centre :rolleyes:
Oi Leave Jonner out of this one. great lad that he is ;) ......

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
lol just watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gasxpPiews - nutmegs Figo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NLmSokD2I - The cat in goals.
Last but very much NOT least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqs4OFsiKA In front of the Kop
Now tell me you dont like the lad......;)
For the last one, we'll let him off :D

Seriously, I'm not against John O'Shea. I think players like him help teams win the titles. He doesn't mind being on the bench, can come on and play in literally every position. We can always call on him if we need a player to play in a certain position. Has stepped in a number of times this season.

Saying that, I don't like him in the engine room :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts