Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A DAD says his life has been 'wrecked' after he was locked up and got a criminal record for slapping his unruly daughter.

Community worker Jim McCullough was arrested and cautioned when 13-year old Jess phoned police because he hit her for 'terrorising' a neighbour.

Now he has quit the football coaching and community centre work he has done for more than 15 years, because the caution could stop him working with vulnerable children.

Mr McCullough, 44, says he has never hit his daughter before but felt it was the only way to get her to understand what she had done after she terrorised a neighbour by banging on her window at midnight.

The single dad, who has five children, said: "I wish I had asked for my day in court rather than accept a police caution. That way I could have explained that I was trying to do what was right for my daughter.

"Jess isn't bad, but some of the 13-year olds who live here do use drugs and drink and I don't want that path for her."

Mr McCullough has coached more than 500 children with the Benchill Town Community football team and does voluntary work at the United Estates of Wythenshawe community centre in Broadoak Road.

Jess's mum left when she was a baby and Mr McCullough has struggled to bring her up alone. He says her behaviour has recently deteriorated.

He said: "She didn't appreciate the seriousness of it and if I had simply grounded her, it wouldn't have proved the point.

Control

"I was in control of my actions and had no intention of causing her physical pain. I felt that she needed something to shock her."

Mr McCullough previously had a clean criminal record and recently qualified as a security guard, but says he has now wrecked his work prospects.

Jess, a year nine pupil at Parklands High School in Wythenshawe, said: "I did deserve the slapping because of the things I'd been doing. I was expecting my dad to come home from the police station and for everything to be the same as before."

Greg Davis, of the United Estates of Wythenshawe centre, said he was sad Mr McCullough would no longer work there.

He said: "We have lost an experienced youth worker and men like him are worth their weight in gold. There is clearly a need for better legislation."

Full story.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1062282_arrested_for_slapping_daughter?rss=yes

And people wonder why there is so much youth crime in the UK.:rolleyes:
If that was my daughter i would have done exactly the same thing.

Not that it maters but Benchill area of Wythenshaw is shall we say
a bit of a rough place to live and bring up teenagers especially.

What's your views on this ?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Not fair to the dad, I'm a walking tank, but I know if I tried some crap like that, I'd be in for it. Its really tough being a single dad too I dont know how my dad does it, and I can't imagine what it must be like with 5 kids. Its a shame he'll no longer be able to do charitable work either. Sometimes the world just bugs me.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
my father used to "slap" me when i was a teenager,all it did was make me resent him.i think i have grown into a well adjusted person,but honestly it's no thanks to him.there must be some other way of stopping teenagers from running wild.hitting isn't the answer,feel sorry for the dad on this though,because of his kid he has lost his integrity,that is sooo wrong.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
It's assault !!!

If you went out of your
house right now and
slapped the first per-
son you saw, no matter
who it is, you would
be charged with assault,
plain and simple fact !

Do the same thing 1000
times and it's assault
every time !

Do it with 10,000 or
1 million people and
guess what ?
It's still assault.

But slap your daughter
and it becomes reasonable ? It's OK ? It's allowed ?

Rubbish !! It's number 1,000,001 and it's still assault !

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
But slap your daughter

Yeah, cue thousands of women suddenly being arrested for slapping their boyfriends/husbands :rolleyes:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think the father did the right thing in this situation, his daughter was obviously out of control. He said all he wanted to do was to shock her rather than hurt her, so if its done in a controlled way and it works then why not?

I dont personally smack my child because he has special needs and i find other ways to deal with his behaviour, but i was smacked as a child and i think it did teach me respect.

sometimes people get discipline and abuse muddled up, there is a huge difference. parents do sometimes use smacking to cure their own frustration and this is wrong. like i said it should be done in a controlled way

Most people who say its wrong are people who are yet to enjoy being a parent, i'm sure they just might change there views once their darling son or daughter is pushing them to the limit!!!!!

Anyway i think this man should be aloud to carry on with all the good work he has been doing, it will be a great shame if he cant, we need more people like him.

and i hope the girl has learned her lesson :)

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
getting slapped whether it be a parent to their child,or a partner hitting a partner,is wrong.violence can breed violence. And what would happen if your child was out of control so badly that ok you think give them a slap to cure them,how far do you go?. suppose you lose your cool and end up out of control yourself.hitting slapping any sort of violence is wrong.it's not ok to hit anyone.it does not cure a problem and often can make things a whole lot worse.
As for people without kids not understanding.i have a 3 year old son.i could not imagine hurting him EVER.i still feel for this girls dad,but i also think he was wrong to slap her.sorry folks rant over..

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I think this is more a question of respect. His daughter obviously has no respect for him if she is happy to see him arrested, cautioned and lose his job when, ultimately, she was in the wrong.

I understand you can use punishments like grounding, taking away treats etc to get the message across. I also understand that some people can lose control and a slap can turn into a beating but that's 'ifs, buts and maybes'. If you have anger issues that's a seperate matter to how people should be allowed to discipline their child.

My dad hit me when I caused trouble but I still love and respect him. He never 'beat me' - it was just a warning shot to never do it again and trust me, I never did.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not being able to hit your child is part of the problem of today's society.
When my Dad was naughty at school he got the cane. It did him no harm.

When I was naughty as a kid I used to get a smacked bum lol. Never
enough to hurt me but it was enough to let me know I'd done something
worthy of it.

It's hardly child abuse because he hit his daughter once is it? Anyone who
say it's assault are the same idiots that let people out of jail early to kill
again and mug old ladies. Society is too soft and there is NO deterrent
for bad behaviour.

They should have done his daughter for drunk and disorderly and breach of the peace!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
my dad got the cane at school.and my mum got the slipper.and when we were even the tinyest step out of line we got a belt across our back,or a wooden spoon across our palms.mum put the spoon on the wall as a deterrent.yeah ok i accept that some times a slap maybe,but when does a slap stop and a full on beating start?.who draws the line?.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
what has this world come to ? a guy cant even slap his wife nowadays...but only IF she deserves it of course....

gotcha :p

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well me i have got beaten many time by my dad well a lot of time well it was for studies and stop me from playing BUT
that not the good point it would better talking about it.

concerning the father i feel sorry but whatever he should not have raise hand on a child
i dont know why people think about beating or slaping is the solution
well best way to solve something is ; talking about it listen to the one he or she listen to you make point of view and that is you got the reason and solution as well friends

and i still remember the day when i was getting lot of slap from dad and always say that was not the solution instead if he would explain me smoothly i would understand him

if you had passed on situation like this in your childhood you would understand more about how the child feel a child need care love affection
if you talk with love with a child they understand you better than making them understand with a slap or something.

friends this is a thread of a child being hurt and not of wife etc

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well me i have got beaten many time by my dad well a lot of time well it was for studies and stop me from playing BUT
that not the good point it would better talking about it.

concerning the father i feel sorry but whatever he should not have raise hand on a child
i dont know why people think about beating or slaping is the solution
well best way to solve something is ; talking about it listen to the one he or she listen to you make point of view and that is you got the reason and solution as well friends

and i still remember the day when i was getting lot of slap from dad and always say that was not the solution instead if he would explain me smoothly i would understand him

if you had passed on situation like this in your childhood you would understand more about how the child feel a child need care love affection
if you talk with love with a child they understand you better than making them understand with a slap or something.

friends this is a thread of a child being hurt and not of wife etc

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
It's assault !!!

If you went out of your
house right now and
slapped the first per-
son you saw, no matter
who it is, you would
be charged with assault,
plain and simple fact !

Do the same thing 1000
times and it's assault
every time !

Do it with 10,000 or
1 million people and
guess what ?
It's still assault.

But slap your daughter

Rubbish! The world has gone too soft with its pathetic political correctness and goody goody pratts. Any unruly child should be punished, a slap is nothing.

The state of the country today is directly related to the interference of these idiots who preach this crap. Kids nowadays literally get away with murder, a bit of discipline does not hurt anyone and gives a solid grounding for life later on.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
it's up to every parent how they deal with thier kids.i think cause of the way i was brought up i know the other side of the coin.so with my kiddie i probably am to over protective.i also know,that i'd deal with him if and obviously when he gets up to no good,cause i'm not an idiot and i know he'll not be an angel always.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts