Manchester United Talk banner

Arsenal: A matter of time before they disappear?

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  abojodeh 
#1 ·
Just a quick thought about Arsenal.

Looking at the transfers that have taken place this summer Arsenal have shown that they are going to have a hard time remaining competitive over the next few years.

Look at how much other clubs are signing and compare that to Arsenal. Then look at the players they've sold. Two of they're main midfielders and a brilliant young CB in Senderos. Yes, Senderos is brilliant. If you're thinking i'm mad saying this then think back to when he played with Keown and they had their unbeaten run. They went for something like 10 games in the UCL without conceeding. But this is not about Senderos anyway.

Arsenal have sold players, brought in tosh and untested players. Abedayor looks like he'll be off at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if Fabregas followed him out of the door.

Teams like City and Spurs will be catching them up in two seasons and if anyone drops out of the top four i feel it will be them. Their squad is weak, they have no money and their defence to me looks very thin. What is Gallas or Clichy picks up an injury? Do they have decent cover?

Arsenal are the team that will drop out this season if anyone does. Liverpool have spent enough to remain safe, ourselves - well we'll be fine ofc, Chelsea are far too strong to get anywhere near fourth or fifth.

I can really see City, Villa, Spurs catching up with Arsenal over the next two seasons. Can you?

See less See more
#2 ·
RichardsReds said:
I can really see City, Villa, Spurs catching up with Arsenal over the next two seasons. Can you?
Yes, I can. However, when they stop paying for the Emirates and they can use matchday revenue for transfers they will have a lot of money to spend.

Also, Arsenal have been involved in deals worth around £18m for Nasri, Ramsey and Silvestre. That used to be a huge outlay in any transfer window!

#3 ·
they still can be the top four club this season......
wenger is still a genius....i respect him a lot.....
but I personally think he want to create a whole france team in arsenal.....
dont care but i think they can still break the top four but not liverpoollll....they wont this season...bore match against villa....

#4 ·
i see exactly where your coming from but i think you have to consider liverpool in that aswell. even tho theyv won two games and got into the CL groups look how theyv played. they have no creativity. a fanastic forward but thats it. rafa will make a big signing then 10 nobodys, is that much different from arsenal.

I would not be at all surprised if city and someone else joins the top four this year with us and chelsea.

thing is with arsenal is that its not the fact he aint spending big money its the fact their is hardly any signings at all. theirs no depth in their squad.
so if you look at how they played against newcastle you would say it was brilliant, arsenal at their best. but now that team that put out that performance have got to go out and do that every week now without any rotation. no rests....and just like last season i can see them dropping like flies but the problem is this year is teams outside the top four are getting bigger and better with more money and signings involved. so not only will they be holding us and chelsea on their tired legs come feb march but also spurs portsmouth villa city and so on

if i was a gooner id be a very worried one right now

#6 ·
yangch0000 said:
i will say farewell to liverpool first. arsene wenger will keep arsenal in top four, as long as he can keep his existing players
i agree with that 100 percent Wenger is too good to drop out if he keeps Fabri, Van persie, Adeb, Nasri, Eduardo, Rosciky. Arsenal will be fine. Where as Liverpool with their jackass manager if they loose Gerrard or Torres for any period of time their a shambles. if city keep bringing in quality, and with Hughes in charge Liverpool will definately be dropping out of the top 4. i see it as
Wenger > Rafa

#8 ·
They wont drop out of the big four any time soon.
They finished four points of us last year rem.
You say they last Flamini an Hleb, i agree 100% that they are a big loss.
But Hleb was injured for alot of last season and the have bougth a good player in Nasri to replace him.
So the lost one main player in Flamini, IMO they are one defensive midfielder away from been big title challangers.
They have more expierence from last year and Theo and the rest will get better.
I think they are a good side and will do well.
Should have money when staduim is finally payed off

#12 ·
Arsenal and Liverpool really have to watch their backs, Arsenal will simply have to start spending money if they dont want to be left behind cmpletely! Citeh... i dunno will they really be able to attract the players to de throne us? they got Robinho cos he had no choice, that was a one off, they'll be like Newcastle a few seasons back, a good team, some world class players and quite possibly having CL football but i don't ever see Citeh winning the league! unless they get Mourinho on board...

#13 ·
owenrooneyruud said:
arsenal wont disappear in the season coming... last season they had a young squad and finished 3rd. 4points behind us.. 2 seasons from now they will have those same young players but more matured and definitely wont disappear.
Huh?

Hleb and flamini are both gone, and they were critical to l'arse success last season.

Anyone ever wonder why arse'ne can't sign or keep big name players. It would appear he is great in terms of identifying and developing youngsters, but when they mature....phhhht...gone!

L'arse may just disappear...they lost to fulham, for heaven's sake.

#15 ·
I do not think they will drop out this year. Wenger is too good to let it happen. It may happen as an exception but only till a period of time they have their debt. once thats taken care of they will come back with a bang.

The methodology Wenger has is to create a team of players that do not need to be superstars but a team on the whole. Obviously you need a few superstars to win you games on their own his team play a bit different from that strategy.

The only question mark would be if they would be flexible on their wage structure after the debt as thats the only bottleneck that can hinder them after their debt is no longer an issue.

#16 ·
in two years time, arsenal will be challenging for the league title, seriously. watch this. keep the team together, and they will be feared by most teams soon.

i dun see much problem with arsenal squad. but there is one major problem they have to solve. they are too dependant on fabregas. with fabregas, arsenal is an excellent side, but without fabregas, they will become a mediocre side, and a bunch of headless chickens.

#18 ·
in my opinion, villa have no chance...they have a buy british only policy? or does it just happen that alot of there recent signings are british? Either way, if they keep buying english only, they have no chance of making the top 4 right now because there are not many top class brit players and most of the better ones already play for the top 4.

Spurs possibly have a chance of breaking into the top four but again...strategical transfers keep them from being a threat....liverpool current top 4...buy keane....united...currrent champions...buy berbatov...that would be a setback for any team but with them both being purchased by top 4 clubs, it'll put them back 2 seasons probably...this season to bed in the new players and next season to find out who failed and make real replacements...

However i agree spurs were the biggest threat to breaking into the top 4...BUT this was before the emergence of city and its new owners and robinho and potential signings. Like someone previously said, IF they can attract players to them, then they have a chance of breaking into the top 4....

However i think the team with the biggest threat on them is liverpool and not arsenal...why? Because Rafa seems to change his team every year instead of letting them settle and bring in 2-3 quality additions...its like every year his literally starts from scratch. They do have some top top players but from now on he will have to be very careful or he'll end up being the one out of the top 4 and rafa getting sacked. lol

I think arsenal are safe under wenger atleast for top 4 positions...wenger also hates loosing so if he does HAVE to spend money, he will do it imo.

pz

#19 ·
Also alot of wengers players are young and he got them for cheap and developed them into his unique style of football so they kinda owe him alot so i think you will see alot stay with him and develop at arsenal. Also alot of these kids are top notch so its safe to say that under wenger arsenal will be safe i think.

pz

#21 ·
I think that Hleb leaving was a mistake. He seems to be a sub at Barcelona at the moment. Ironically it's Thierry Henry who is filling his place.

Arsenal were not a big four side in the few years before Wenger came. As long as they have Wenger i believe they can still do great things.

"I have lived in this country 12 years & have not seen a single swimming pool" :D How can you not love a man with quotes like that?

#22 ·
Arsenal would never disappear
the Russian share owner (forgot his name) is buying more shares in few years they will be owned by a rich owner
and their players have a good understanding in between due to the little age difference in the squad
also they have a genius manager who would never let them drop out the top four

in a few years Arsenal will be the strongest team in England with us of course

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.