Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stabbing of visiting fan in attack by ‘Ultras’ confirms club’s worst fears | Arsenal - Times Online

Rome was once more the scene of football-related violence last night, when an Arsenal fan was attacked with a knife before the game as a coach carrying supporters, who had travelled independently but had tickets, was attacked by a group of Roma “Ultras” just outside the Olympic Stadium. It is the third time in less than three years that the visit of an English club has resulted in such violence.

The coach’s windows were smashed and at least one hooligan entered the vehicle, letting off a flare and stabbing a supporter in the knee. He was treated at the stadium and his injuries were not thought to be serious. One Roma fan has been arrested.

Arsenal had feared the possibility of incidents outside the stadium. Roma’s hardcore followers have developed a reputation for violence and in 2007, in two separate incidents 16 Manchester United supporters were stabbed near the ground when United played against Roma in the Champions League twice during the year.

Rome has been selected by Uefa as the host for the Champions League final this season but city officials have been warned by European football’s governing body that any serious acts of hooliganism between now and May 27 could see the showpiece moved elsewhere.

After this threat had been issued, extra police had been drafted in by Rome officials in an attempt to ensure the safety of Arsenal’s approximate 3,400 travelling support. Arsenal had also warned supporters who were planning to attend the match that they were “at risk” if they travelled alone to the stadium.

The North London club printed a booklet explaining to the travelling fans to avoid transport routes usually taken by the Italian club’s “Ultra” supporters. Arsenal fans were also warned to steer clear of the Campo de Fiori, a square in the capital that is the traditional meeting place for Roma fans before matches at the Olympic Stadium.

“If you travel to the stadium independently, please be aware you are at risk,” the booklet circulated by Arsenal stated. “Do not take trains to the Piazza Flaminio or attempt to use the Ponte Duca D’Aosta bridge as these are habitual routes taken by the Ultras. Please stay away from the Campo De Fiori.”

i saw this on another forum, but hooliganism and football related violence bugs me. at the end of the day the game is played on the field, it starts there and ends there. :red:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
The final should be moved.

If anythin else happens again they should get 2 year ban from European football IMO.

Its the only way to stop it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How to do to block that ??

I cannot imagine the result of these facts in your idea about the City:
I ensure it's one of the most safe of the world, between capitals.
You can walk almost everywhere at every hour

Football?
Yes, there's some underculture
The society is now good, but in the past (with different executive)they used to close eyes on those things..... and that has taken a way.

The team and the manager are very good people, and they have always said they're realy depressed by such things..... I'm afraid punishment on the team or on the city (moving the Final) won't have effec on that

Sad

Z

·
0 Posts
How to do to block that ??

I cannot imagine the result of these facts in your idea about the City:
I ensure it's one of the most safe of the world, between capitals.
You can walk almost everywhere at every hour
Obviously not while football is going on. That's a ridiculous statement to make on a Manchester United forum!

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i think its sad that such a beautiful game has to cause such sad things, this culture of violence within football is really an upsetting thought, and sadly glamorized by films and tv at times

i cant say from experience but i know that roma's fans do have quite a reputation for this type of trouble as do others from other teams and i include united in that. but i dont think something like this should reflect on the city, if anything it should reflect on the police force and there methods of tackling the problem.

its sad that when people go to watch a sport they love and sing and chat with pride, there are some sad people who decide to bring the games beauty into demise, i hope the arsenal fan is ok and i also hope that the few roma fans get dealt with correctly

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Obviously not while football is going on. That's a ridiculous statement to make on a Manchester United forum!
Well Zuco I think it's not only too much trouble to move I also like the idea of a final in Rome.

The Eternal City, it has such a fascinating history and culture behind it.

You can't let the Ultra's ruin football for the rest. That said I don't know how to stop them.

It's the groups of hardcore ultras who are at the center of almost all trouble in Serie A. :thumbsdownsmileyani

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
if english teams are involved in the final and it takes place in rome i honestly think somebody will be very seriously hurt or killed , can't uefa see the smoke everytime an english team sets foot there the fans get attacked "even by the police".:thumbsdownsmileyani

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Why am I not surprised?

It's looking almost inevitable that an English side will reach the final again with all 4 making it through to the quarters. I am seriously concerned about the safety of any English fans who go to the final in Rome.

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
Why am I not surprised?

It's looking almost inevitable that an English side will reach the final again with all 4 making it through to the quarters. I am seriously concerned about the safety of any English fans who go to the final in Rome.
Were you at the Utd Vs Roma 2-1 defeat?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Were you at the Utd Vs Roma 2-1 defeat?
No I wasn't but I can still vividly remember the images broadcast around the World that were on Sky Sports News of United fans getting battered by the police after provocation from the Roma fans...who were not attacked by the police.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i am sure Roma fans have a reputation for these kind of things

Utd fans were attacked 2 years ago when we played roma

Arsenal actually warned their fans to be careful and told them to avoid the places where the 'Ultras' go

but these kind of things still happen

i dont know whats the need to stab opposition fans

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since there arnt any italian teams in final then there wont be much trouble:rolleyes:. but if some fans decide to get alittle loud and routy after a few pints, then mabye they'll come across some ultras by accident, then thats when the problems will start. I dont think the ultas would be at stadium startin sh*t.... would they???

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Since there arnt any italian teams in final then there wont be much trouble:rolleyes:. but if some fans decide to get alittle loud and routy after a few pints, then mabye they'll come across some ultras by accident, then thats when the problems will start. I dont think the ultas would be at stadium startin sh*t.... would they???
For showpiece events like the Champions League final tickets go on general sale months in advance. The 2 clubs who reach the final obviously receive their allocation after the semi-final has taken place but there are always UEFA delegates and locals who get tickets to the game...which often end up being sold for ridiculous prices on ticket exchange websites to the highest bidder.

I'm almost certain Ultras will be at the game. :frown:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if an english team is involved they will be causing all sorts. and if its an all english final... it woud wanna be some security operation!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts