Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 21-year-old has been dubbed "the new Zidane" in his native France and is top of Arsene Wenger's shopping list for the January transfer window.

Targets: Arsene Wenger has a shopping list of players he wants to sign in the January window
Wenger has been tracking Gourcuff for some time and was left bitterly disappointed when the talented playmaker rejected a move to Arsenal in 2006, leaving Rennes for Milan instead.

However, since his move to the San Siro, Gourcuff has struggled to break into the first team, playing just 21 times last season and finding himself confined to the substitutes bench this campaign.

Nevertheless, should Gourcuff be allowed a move to the Emirates next month, Milan would still demand a considerable fee.

Wenger, though, is acutely aware that his squad needs added strength in depth.

Arsenal will lose Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue and Alexandre Song to the African Cup of Nations next month, and should they pick up any further injuries or suspensions, they will find their title challenge stretched to breaking point
Wenger has a nose for yount talents and I think this mught be the new Kaka ... He's really elegant and has got some good qualities which would flourish under Wengers' guideance for sure :mad:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This has re-surfaced. Not that im suprised though. Be a perfect replacement if Fabregas does leave. In my opinion Gourcuff is just as good anyway.

He's one of those players that you love, would love him at United, but you know he's not a United type of player Fergie normally goes for. Shame really. I think he's a click or 2 of being one of the best in the world.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
This has re-surfaced. Not that im suprised though. Be a perfect replacement if Fabregas does leave. In my opinion Gourcuff is just as good anyway.

He's one of those players that you love, would love him at United, but you know he's not a United type of player Fergie normally goes for. Shame really. I think he's a click or 2 of being one of the best in the world.
Agreed, shame his style doesn't suit us. :frown:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed at Milan after Kaka left.
I think Milan mis-handled him. Would of been brilliant there now if they allowed him to settle. The technical ability of the kid is out of this world. Alot of players get 'dubbed this' and 'dubbed that' but this kid is a clone of the master himself, Zidane. Amazing feet.

·
Your arms are just too short to box with God
30,115 Posts
A lot of talk of this maybe happening over here....I'd hate it as I am a huge fan of Gourcuff and I'd hate to see him at Arsenal, he'd make them an even better side, even without Fabregas..I just hope it's only rumours.

·
Registered
26,221 Posts
A very talented player but he is overrated. He was quite poor last season (when compared with 2008/2009), and he hasn't really produced the goods for France (1 goal).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A very talented player but he is overrated. He was quite poor last season (when compared with 2008/2009), and he hasn't really produced the goods for France (1 goal).
You're wrong there buddy. In fact i don't think he has the reputation that he deserves outside of france.

Players who are technically good and not reliant on pace develop into better players as they get older. And Gourcuff will prove to be an example of that.

The kid is amazing. Hasn't fully justified his talents on the international stage but he is only 23. By the time he's around 26/27, similar age to when Zidane properly made his name, then he'll get the recognition he deserves.

I don't base my opinions on them but you only have to watch a few youtube clips to see how technically good he is.

EDIT: Just read that he went through a bad patch and lack of confidence/form after an injury back end of last year.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
******** story, they have Nasri, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arshavin who can all play similar role
They'll need to replace Fabregas in the hole. And Arsenal could potentially play 60 games in the season.

If they play 4-2-3-1 like they tend to, then they'll have Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri, Gourcuff and Walcott for the 3 attacking positions. To me that's standard for a championship winning team.

Gourcuff will be a target for them if Cesc leaves. They may even go for Eden Hazard.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ironically Zidane left Bordeaux at 24 and If Gourcuff leaves this summer then they left Bordeaux at the same age.

Zidane's 2 year record before leaving... Played 99 scoring 19.
Gourcuff's 2 year old record at Bordeaux... Played 91 scoring 24, Assists 25.

For those who base their opinions on goals scored should be impressed by that.

Gourcuff will get better.

·
Your arms are just too short to box with God
30,115 Posts
Gourcuff will get better, there is absolutely no doubt of that. I don't like comparing him to Zidane, but he's the closest I've seen since Le Dieu retired. Hence why I want him at United, but unfortunately I doubt that'll ever happen.

How about this goal, you've all seen it, but deserves to be posted again:

Quick gist on the translation (overall summary, not word for word):
It's magnificent, magnificent. He makes me feel like crying, who is this man? I am crying....

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
He is far from overrated. :rolleyes:

Gourcuff is a brilliant footballer with shitload of creativity. Shame he is not the dynamic type of players who have loads of pace and move allot. (Like Arshavin or Nasri) but he is fantastic, i think his game would suit Chelsea the best (replacing Lampard) and he would do wonders in Italy or Spain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts