Manchester United Talk banner

Arsenal- Title Hopes Over?

4K views 95 replies 43 participants last post by  Jazz 16 
#1 ·
3rd loss of the season today against Stoke :D
A horror day all around for the Arse.
Injuries to Adebayor, Gallas, Sagna and a nasty one to Walcott.
Straight red for van Persie (3 match ban).
After the draw to Spurs midweek and now this are their title hopes over?
Happy days, great to see a rival mucking up :D

#4 ·
Cant wait to see some of my Gunner mates down the pub later.... talk about a bad day at the races lmao

It would be great to see them drop out of the CL spots and leave someone like Villa in.
I was peed off with our second half performence but this resuld makes up for it!
HAPPY DAYS

#5 ·
Way too early to tell.

In all honesty this loss could be THE decisive moment their season came unstuck, but I think it started poorly when they decided to shore up their defence with Silvestre instead of a young fit quality defender.

I'm not saying today's loss was Silveste's fault, I'm just saying their problems started before the season began.

However, it is way to early for a thread like this. In fact, now that they are in a bad patch they can see what their squad is truly made of.

Bendtenr and Vela have been much touted, so it will be time for them to step up.

In fact a lot of young gunners are always being touted as the next big thing, so we'll get to see if they can step up.

If they can win the next few matches, they wil actually gain confidence in their abilities and squad strength, so we'll see what happens. There are still 27 games to go though...

#7 ·
Too early to tell, you never know with Arsenal. A month ago we were being written off. They are just so inconsistent though, they've had the easiest of the fixtures out of the 'big four' and have picked up the least amount of points. However, if they can pick up home wins against United, Chelsea and Liverpool, they're right back in the frame - that's easier said than done of course.

I'm wary of them going into next week's game, and I won't write them off just yet.

#8 ·
RedForceRising said:
Way too early to tell.
Are you joking RFR.... If this was united everyone would be going crazy. They lost to Hull at home, drew with sunderland and Spurs then to lose against Stoke today takes the biscut.

i have you quoted saying its way too early.... and i think its way too early to be dropping points like that, they wont improve... injuries, suspensions and moral will drop!!
If i was a Gunner fan i wouldn't only be pulling my hair out but i would be tempted on pulling out some teeth with it!!

bye bye Gunners

#9 ·
VaVaVoom said:
Are you joking RFR.... If this was united everyone would be going crazy. They lost to Hull at home, drew with sunderland and Spurs then to lose against Stoke today takes the biscut.

i have you quoted saying its way too early.... and i think its way too early to be dropping points like that, they wont improve... injuries, suspensions and moral will drop!!
If i was a Gunner fan i wouldn't only be pulling my hair out but i would be tempted on pulling out some teeth with it!!

bye bye Gunners

No, I am not.

I can tell you that last year after the Man City loss at home mofos were losing their mind on team talk and only a few sane voices were saying "it's not over yet" and check it out, we did the double.

15 years of following United and the preier league will teach you that it ain't over till it's over. Of course if they don't win the league, I suppose you'll be going on about you knew it, but all I'm saying is that there have been many seasons where fellow man utd fans have over reacted on other sites and we still managed to win the league.

At one point last season all I'd read was how awesome Arsenal were and how lousy man utd were. ....... from Man Utd fans.

Fast forward two months and the same fans were saying "our" brand of football is attractive and produces results.

In the English Premier League and when following Manchester united, it ain't over till it's over.

#11 ·
On 606 (BBC 5 Live now), the fans are saying that Wenger has to have a long hard look at himself. One even saying...

Arsene's time is coming to an end...

How he's still in the job after so many barren seasons (About to increase) amazes
me, in this modern era. I think that managers deserve the chance, mainly
because what Fergie has done, but Wenger's getting worse each year!

Dropping points to the following is amazing!

Fulham
Hull
Sunderland
Tottenham
Stoke

Ok, Spurs aren't in the best of shape, lets be honest, and Arsenal **** up a 3
goal lead at HOME to their supposed fiercest rivals! Would we screw up a 3 goal
lead at home to City?

Two newly promoted sides, a side that was promoted last season and a team
always done around the lower half...Its incredible!

Their season hangs on Europe (Laughs)M the Carling Cup, but showing only a
Carling Cup in 4 years is pretty crap TBH, and the FA cup, but United will win
that! :D

Are we looking at the end of Mr. ******, sorry...Mr. Wenger ;)

This is from the official Arsenal Site...Wenger:

At the end of the day Stoke deserved to win said:
On his side’s performance…
“It was a game where we had a lot of possession and the team we played defended very well and were well organised. We were not sharp enough to create the chances and conceded two goals on two throw-ins. They fought for every ball and they waited for their set pieces and in the end Stoke won because we didn’t create enough chances to score.

On preparing for Delap's throw-ins…
“We had a plan to deal with the throw-ins; we had worked on it. I am not sure the first one was touched by anybody. They fly into the box and it is difficult with 20 people in there. That sort of thing is not our greatest strength. We were punished and I believe we were unlucky as well"

On a traditional English match…

“People who love the traditional English game must be happy because they got what they like today. It was a traditional game with a lot of fight and commitment. At the end of the day Stoke deserved to win the game.”

On a tough schedule…
“I believe we tried very hard and I think Stoke are sharp at the moment and we looked jaded physically. At the moment we play a lot games and we suffer a little a bit because of that. It isn’t confidence, but we gave a lot on Wednesday and we play again in midweek and that is why in the repetition of games, is that if you don’t score first you suffer."

On Van Persie's dismissal…
“I think that the red card was very, very harsh. If you get [Andy] Griffin without a yellow card today and Robin with a red, then I have to review my rulebook. He shouldn’t have done it but I don’t think it was a red card.”

On an array of injuries…
“We have very bad injuries to Adebayor and Walcott, and there is Sagna. One or two have knocks as well. It is the kind of game we played today and when you are a little bit short on sharpness, you are less agile and get out of tackles less quickly.”

Doesn't fill ya with confidence if your an Arsenal fan really! :p

and just a note on this...

"but we gave a lot on Wednesday and we play again in midweek and that is why in the repetition of games"

Ehh...Arsene......United, Chelsea and Liverpool ALL played midweek, and ALL have
European commitments...why are your side exceptional??? :confused:

G
#12 ·
I think it's a bit premature to say their season is over. They're only one point behind us.
We do have a game in hand but it's away to Arsenal and they'll go above us if they win.
We'll still have our game in hand and be two points behind them, so if their season is
over so is ours, which is crazy.

#13 ·
But they're on such a bad run, they've got 3/4 terrible injuries...they can't play a
physical game, Walcott is their outlet...

They need a new captain
They need a new keeper

We're solid in that respect.

The loss of Hleb and Flamini is really showing through now...even Lehamnn would
be doing better then Almunia IMO...

...I'd be crying ino my pint now if I were an Arsenal fan...and they're not really
known for their strong riuns after Christmas now TBH, its United and Chelsea who
have the depth. Arsenal normally start brilliantly to seasons...yet this season it
appears that they've hit a brick wall early on.

#14 ·
Im glad we are going there next. They will have injuries and their confidence
will be shot. I know this thread was a bit knee jerk, but I dont think they have
what it takes to get in the top 2.(even at this point in the season)

Against us they will be without van Persie, Adebayor, Walcott, Sagna, and maybe more.
Happy days!
I think that if we beat them next week their title hopes will definitely be over.

#16 ·
i have to agree with jazz and keano.
if we beat arsenal their season will be over, league wise anyway.
they will do well in europe if the players can sort themselves out (if)
they are lacking leadership , gallas is possibly the worst captain i have ever senn, he does nothing to motivate or inspire his team mates.

apparently the camp is split into 2 factions, this certainly doesn't bode well for the team.
4th place is is not even safe with villa knocking on the door.

i honestly would LOVE IT if they finished 5th.

#17 ·
Jazz 16 said:
Im glad we are going there next. They will have injuries and their confidence
will be shot. I know this thread was a bit knee jerk, but I dont think they have
what it takes to get in the top 2.(even at this point in the season)

Against us they will be without van Persie, Adebayor, Walcott, Sagna, and maybe more.
Happy days!
I think that if we beat them next week their title hopes will definitely be over.

Erm.. 100% agree with this post except the very last sentence.
I am glad Man Utd are playing Arsenal in a week's time.

#19 ·
And its not sas if we've had a bad record at the Emriates!!

Last year...

1-0 up...conceded to a (of all people :rolleyes:) Gallas header
2-1 up...conceded a scrappy goal after some poor play leading up to it

2 seasons ago...

1-0 up...Not too long left and they score TWO late goals, with Henry netting the
winner...(Wazza scored a diving header in that game!! :eek::D

So we should have taken AT LEAST 4 points from those two...this time me thinks
that the Goooooners are gona choke and United will have a happy day in
London...something that doesn't happen too often TBH..

Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Fulham
West Ham

#21 ·
I did not think they were serious contenders for the title , they were my fourth choice behind chelski scousers and us.
They have looked fragile for the past four years or so , they cannot withstand any physical contact and have had a soft centre for years

#25 ·
VaVaVoom said:

bye bye Gunners
I'd go along with this and add a bit. They haven't played ANY really difficult game in the Prem yet. Haven't played Pompy, Villa, Chelsea, Pool and now they're playing us nxt week. If they lose to us they are definetly gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.