Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I care about him, but I started this thread to see what you all thought.

==========================================================

Isn't it time that Arsene Wenger was gone from Arsenal?

Not that I care, because after assessing what I'm about to say, its great news for us! :D

No doubt, he has done a great job at Arsenal (two doubles, single FA Cup win, UEFA Cup and Champions League final {although losing both is debatable}) etc.

But hes lost the plot imo. No trophy win in 3 years, lack of title challenge in 2 of the last 3 years, some remarkably bad decisions etc etc.

If he was at Chelsea, he would have been gone long ago.

So, not being biased (and happy that Wenger being at Arsenal helps us :D) do you think Wenger should be gone from Arsenal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think Wenger has done a great job at Arsenal. He's been there a long time and has the loyalty and respect of the board and the fans.
He seems set on bringing up the ultimate football team from a baby to a man, and has shown a reluctance to bring in big names when the oppurtunity arises (only a month ago David Villa expressed his interest in playing for Arsenal and little seems to have been done about it).
In a football world now where managers are chopped and changed freely, it is no surprise the team on top of the pile has the most stable manager in the Premiership. Sir Alex has been there since day 1 and before that as well and he has overseen many different Utd sides.
Wenger too has seen his Arsenal side change many a time and just because they are not tasting success at the moment it doesnt mean he should get the boot.
You have fallen into the trap of seeing the footballing world around you. Big businessmen chopping managers left, right and centre and wonder if Wenger should receive the same treatment.
If you look at the club you support and their success, you will see the example that Arsenal and all other clubs should be following.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
abcdef said:
In a football world now where managers are chopped and changed freely, it is no surprise the team on top of the pile has the most stable manager in the Premiership. Sir Alex has been there since day 1 and before that as well and he has overseen many different Utd sides.
Most of Arsenals recent failures are down to Arsene Wengers decisions imo.

He is the only one who can't see Arsenal need more experienced players. Hes either blind to this fact or hes too stubborn to admit it.

Every year Wenger says that this year Arsenal are more experienced and can win the title. Every year they fail.

If Arsene Wenger was managing United and this has happened, I would want him gone.

Also, Sir Alex has been at United for so long because he has delivered success. If these past 3 years had been Wengers first 3 years at Arsenal, I would say he deserved more time (Like Sir Alex got)

But it isn't. Hes well into his Arsenal career, and because of all this, I have to disagree with you completely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can understand your thinking behind what you've said. When we went a year without a trophy a three years ago, the knives were out for fergie. All we herd about in the press was he's past it and how his time is over and he needs to belive. When the Glazers were taking over the press were saying he would get sacked. Compare this to the situation at Arsenal. Three years without a trophy and not a single journalist has questioned whether wenger should be sacked.

I would be surprised if he was to go anytime soon. Although if arsenal were to go another season with no trophies, it surley must be time for him to go, even if his side play attractive football. He is hiding behind his youngsters as he knows this arsenal team are not good enough to challenge for the major trophies yet.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
manutd004 said:
[No trophy win in 3 years, lack of title challenge in 2 of the last 3 years, some remarkably bad decisions etc etc.

What bad decisions would these be?

No trophy in 3 years isn't the end of the World, when he has the likes of
United and Chelsea in the same league, who can spend more and attract
the better players by giving them larger contracts.

I think Wenger was unlucky this season........and was let down by some of his
players, especially his captain.
People forget that Arsenal only finished 4 points behind United and were a
few minutes away from getting to the CL semi final.

It ALL started to go wrong at Brum.....Eduardo (who was in great form)
getting injured, Gallas being a big baby and dropping 2 points in the
last minute with a penalty that NEVER should have stood.

Their form from their dropped badly for the next few games.......
and by the time they got their form back at the end of the season, it was
too late. Also getting stuffed by us in the FA cup didnt do them much good.
It was reminiscent of the time we beat them on their 49 game unbeaten streak.

I like to call it the 'United Effect', that they topple and lose their way after
being on the receiving end of a beating from us.

In conclusion, Wenger has the right to do as he pleases at Arsenal and should
be immune from a sacking. He has done for Arsenal what Fergie
has done for us (smaller scale obviously)...but still his work needs to be
recognised and praised.

When Fergie arrived in '86, he didnt win anything for 4 years and fans
gave him stick.....Wenger has earned the right to demand time and he has
a great crop of youngsters at his club.

The manager merry go-round is complete Bull anyway......
sack him cos he hasnt won something in 3 years?:rolleyes:
Give me a break.......
and give Arsene a break, even though he is a moany old (expletives deleted) ;)

Im no Wenger lover before anyone starts, but Im just saying it as I see it....
he does deserve respect.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Jazz 16 said:

I think Wenger was unlucky this season........and was let down by some of his
players, especially his captain.
didn't he appoint Gallas as a captain...I think most people thought that was pretty questionable at the time, by no means am I saying fire him, just pointing out that this was one of the worst decisions I have seen

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jazz 16 said:
The obvious one is play your best centre-back by far at right-back, play a right-back on the right wing and, imo, the worst centre-back at a top 4 club at CB, especially when you have a very talented, exciting, youthful right winger which would solve all your problems for you.

I can understand where your coming from, but imo, some of his decisions are bad, hes too stubborn and is not delivering.

But thats whats good about football. 2 people can have 2 completely contrasting opinions ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got to agree that he has made bad decisions. Gallas shouldnt have been captain because he has a bad attitude and is not a big man. Crying in the centre circle, during a game, whatever next...
I agree that Toure should not be playing at right back and that Walcott could play more games (though that is less of an error).
Bad decisions dont get you the sack and if we are talking about winning nothing we can sack Benitez n'all. A fortuned covered CL campaign is what has saved his job, you might say.
Jazz is right, Wenger has the right to be able to demand time now he needs it. Perhaps he is too stubborn and is hiding behind the kids, but there is a thin line between faith and stubborness and we aren't the right people to be judging that. Arsenal may win the league next year and dominate the league for 10 years (god forbid) like Utd did when they chose not to sack Fergie.
Just because Wengers barren spell has come mid reign, instead of early on doesnt make any difference.

All that said, they do lack quality and experience and Wenger needs to address that. He seems set not to again, so either his kids deliver or they go trophyless again. Time will tell. If they hadn't bottled it so bad this year they might have won the league at a canter.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
his worst decision is failing to buy and splash the cash ! he hasn't won anything in years and i find reason in his team constantly "maturing ". you can't win anything without experience. another bad decision is urging his team to walk into the empty net - nah - aint' gonna happen ! you need to shoot form outside the area more often - good thing he's stubborn . He must be doing something wrong when he can't prevent the exodus and when he can't win anything

·
Banned
503 Posts
I like arsene wenger & respect arsenal for not sacking him due to no silverware in recent years, It's the club's who part with there coaches i can't stand & sacking coaches should not be used as an excuse, Arsenal have had in my opinion bit of bad luck & was unlucky not to reach this years champions league final against us & was unlucky in the premiership, It's through having good quality coaches like wenger & teams like arsenal that is making the premiership to be one of the best in the world :)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
If Arsenal had held onto their lead at Old Trafford then there is a good chance they would be the champions.

Semi-finals of the League Cup, 5th rnd FA Cup, quarter-finals Champions League and top 3 finish in the Prem is a mediocre season for a club of their stature. However, after being written off at the start of the season by many people, myself included, who believed they could not cope with the loss of Henry I think they actually did quite well.

There is absolutely no chance of Wenger being sacked unless the club finish outside the top 4 in the Prem and I think they will be strong challengers in all competitions again next season.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Dynamite said:
I like arsene wenger & respect arsenal for not sacking him due to no silverware in recent years, It's the club's who part with there coaches i can't stand & sacking coaches should not be used as an excuse, Arsenal have had in my opinion bit of bad luck & was unlucky not to reach this years champions league final against us & was unlucky in the premiership, It's through having good quality coaches like wenger & teams like arsenal that is making the premiership to be one of the best in the world :)
you need to earn your luck - you can't go on being unlucky for the period of 4 months...and no - i wouldn't say like that - i'd say : coaches like wenger make premiership look "almost" the best coz they always seem to "almost "win something - fergie makes it the best !

·
Banned
503 Posts
CROoney said:
you need to earn your luck - you can't go on being unlucky for the period of 4 months...and no - i wouldn't say like that - i'd say : coaches like wenger make premiership look "almost" the best coz they always seem to "almost "win something - fergie makes it the best !
Fergie does make things good, But he's not the only one & as for luck, you dont earn it you either get good luck or bad luck in life

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Injuries and suspensions have nothing to do with it.

Thats also Wengers fault, because he wasn't fully prepared and he didn't make sure Arsenal had the strength and depth in case it happened.

He also knew that the African Cup of Nations was taking place, so there was no excuse for not being fully prepared, talking about strength and depth again.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Dynamite said:
Fergie does make things good, But he's not the only one & as for luck, you dont earn it you either get good luck or bad luck in life
agree - but sometimes you need to "provoke" your luck... luck follows the courages---listen - he had a 5 point lead only to finish 3rd - that's bottling it - in any other club it would have been failure....even at valencia for example...

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
manutd004 said:
The obvious one is play your best centre-back by far at right-back, play a right-back on the right wing and, imo, the worst centre-back at a top 4 club at CB, especially when you have a very talented, exciting, youthful right winger which would solve all your problems for you.

I can understand where your coming from, but imo, some of his decisions are bad, hes too stubborn and is not delivering.

But thats whats good about football. 2 people can have 2 completely contrasting opinions ;)
He made a few mistakes maybe.....
but Doesn't everyone? people were criticing Fergie's tactics recently enough.....
when he was making some strange decisions. It turned out alright in the end
because we won everything, but it could have been oh so different.
There is a fine line between success and failure.....and sometimes luck plays
its part. Wenger didnt have much luck, and we had elements of good
fortune in the CL final ;)

Walcott might not have been a mistake. He is maturing now and should be ready
for next season......but apart from 2 goals against some team???
and a fantastic run against Liverpool, what has Walcott done? Nowt much really...

Eboue was great the season before but was a terrible disappointment this
season....hardly Wenger's fault really....?

I know he did make mistakes but they werent massive mistakes.....hardly
mistakes that could have changed the course of their season.

Either way, he has earned the right to do as he pleases......

·
Banned
503 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I know he did make mistakes but they werent massive mistakes.....hardly
mistakes that could have changed the course of their season.

Either way, he has earned the right to do as he pleases......
Agreed jazz & also deserves more respect

·
23,699 Posts
I don't like Arsene Wenger but I do respect him and hold him in high regards.

I respect him as a man of priniciples who is well-known to keep his words and has never broken any contract. He had so many opportunities to leave Arsenal over the years but never did, holding onto his vision and love he has for the club (though some may dismiss it as delusion).

Be it out of necessity or just plain prudence, the limited budget he has (as compared to the rest of the Big Four) never put him off or discouraged him to challenge for the title every season. That is stubborn resilience and courage.

I respect him too for putting his continuous faith in development of youngsters and actually exercising his faith and belief by trusting and handing them the burden and responsibility of winning honours for the club. With the youngest average players amongst the Big Four, they can't be doing too badly over the years, even though he is trophyless for the past 3 seasons.

And like many pointed out, they actually were threatening to run away with the title at one stage until they started dropping unexpected points after sustaining some injuries to key players or after some bizarre closing minutes in a few games.

Given the above, to finish just 4 points behind us is certainly no shame at all and in fact, excellent if you factor in the factors.

Yes, I agree he has made some bad calls like some of you mentioned in this thread, which I will not repeat here. But then again, Fergie did too. Just think Chelski game at Stamford Bridge or playing Rooney as winger, rendering him ineffective etc.

And like Jazz said, yes, we did win the Double so it did not matter so much but there is really a fine line between success and failure. Think the CL Final - it could have easily gone the Blue's way too.

And we still expect them to be challenging us next season, isn't it? And if without unforseen injuries or bizarre outcomes like what happened in the season just concluded, who knows?!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Arsene Wenger might not have won as much silverware as he should have, but he is a good manager.

I don't really like him, because of his bad eye sight whenever his players are committing murder and his endless whining, but I can respect his record of being one of only 4 managers ever to win the Premier League.

I also admire his astute dealings in the transfer market and his ability to bring out the best in players. He brought out the most (I'm not saying best) in Henry, Vieira, Overmars and Pires.

He spent a lot less than Evans, houllier and Benitez and still managed to win the league and FA CUp.

In addition his ability to buy absolute unknowns and mould them into stars deserves the highest praise.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts