Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to UK tabloid The Daily Mail, questions are being asked as to why Arsenal were allowed to complete the signing of Andrei Arshavin some 24 hours after the transfer deadline.

The London giants sealed the deal at 4:52pm local time on February 3, when all deals were supposed to be completed by 5:00pm the day before. (There was, however, a conditional extension granted due to bad whether).

It is understood that there were a few issues with paperwork that prevented the transfer from being processed on time, one of which was that Zenit St. Petersburg did not submit their forms quickly enough.

However, the FA (Football Association) and the Premier League discussed the matter yesterday and came to the conclusion that everything was satisfactory, meaning Arshavin is now officially an Arsenal player.

The Gunners' rival clubs are far from happy that the deal was allowed to go through so long after the close of the window, especially as negotiations had started several weeks prior.

The 27-year-old Russian international could make his Arsenal debut in this weekend's north London derby against relegation-threatened Tottenham Hotspur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
seen the pics with him wearing the shirt. Still don't think he'll be a hit at the gunners. Wenger contradicted himself when he bought him, cause he stated a few months ago that arshavin won't fit the Premiership style, and now he got him.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
I said the same. Arshavin was in North London all day so the weather had nothing to do with the transfer not being completed in time.

As for the signing, we'll see what Arshavin is made of now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,861 Posts
They damn well needed a striker. Adebayor has done nothing since the summer, when he was linked with Barca. His mind isn't in North London methinks. Eduardo, well, you know what happened, and van Persie has all the potential, yet never delivers; Arsenal's Nani. Should bring some creativity back too, they've been pretty lacklustre in that area since Hleb left. Fabregas and Arshavin linking up is a frightening prospect tbh.

Oh, I forgot to talk about Arsenal's other striker, Bendtner. Well, let's not go there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Afternoon to all, my 1st post!

I think its a bit strange the way it was allowed thru after the deadline. Then again the whole Arsh-to-Arse saga has been strange, a whole month taken to sign, Zenit dragging their heels over the fee, the fact no other clubs were in the running for him etc. Qualty player tho. But thankfully its over and done with now, bored me like the Ronaldo gossip last summer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Typical Arsenal player, flair and pace!! Does anybody know his preferred position?
Arse-Shaving ;) Seriously tho, his normal position from wat i saw from Euros is as a second striker. Also can operate as a winger or attacking mid. scary prospect if he, RVP, Walcott and Kanu the Resurrection can click
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
hatedastarfish said:
Arse-Shaving ;) Seriously tho, his normal position from wat i saw from Euros is as a second striker. Also can operate as a winger or attacking mid. scary prospect if he, RVP, Walcott and Kanu the Resurrection can click
Nasri will keep Walcott out of the team, unless he plays Arse-Shaving as an attacking mid till Fabragas is back, and that will leave Theo and Nasri on each flank. Thats like having 4 defenders, Denilson and 5 forwards. As you said Scary!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Nasri will keep Walcott out of the team, unless he plays Arse-Shaving as an attacking mid till Fabragas is back, and that will leave Theo and Nasri on each flank. Thats like having 4 defenders, Denilson and 5 forwards. As you said Scary!!

Forgot bout Nasri! Personally they could have done with another midfielder with a bit of bite in the tackle, but Im sure Arsene knows best and how to utilise the attacking talent he has. :rolleyes:
 

·
United's masseuse
Joined
·
6,296 Posts
hatedastarfish said:
Forgot bout Nasri! Personally they could have done with another midfielder with a bit of bite in the tackle, but Im sure Arsene knows best and how to utilise the attacking talent he has. :rolleyes:
Attacking talent? Whatever :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
Attacking talent? Whatever :p
Well Nasri did score twice against us in Goonerville:) fair enough they have been found wanting for goals recently but all teams go thru a famine of goals! im sure arshavin will be a good signing in the long run
 

·
HODOR!
Joined
·
7,033 Posts
Will add a bit of flair to them but really without the team firing and without Fabregas in the team not a lot will change with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
A potentially good signing although i still have doubts whether he can adapt to the league. I still don't think he is what Arsenal really need though. They needed a defensive+holding player and a proper leader in the team which they have been lacking since Pat V left.
 

·
United's masseuse
Joined
·
6,296 Posts
hatedastarfish said:
Well Nasri did score twice against us in Goonerville:) fair enough they have been found wanting for goals recently but all teams go thru a famine of goals! im sure arshavin will be a good signing in the long run
They`ve been longing for more goals for a long time now, not just recently. Arshavin will hopefully ( for them. ) help them and get the goals flowing for them. It`s a matter if he will settle or not, that is always a question mark on new signings, he may take his time to settle but he will in the long run.
 

·
HODOR!
Joined
·
7,033 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
They`ve been longing for more goals for a long time now, not just recently. Arshavin will hopefully ( for them. ) help them and get the goals flowing for them. It`s a matter if he will settle or not, that is always a question mark on new signings, he may take his time to settle but he will in the long run.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top