Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I watched the Hull-Villa game, I noticed (and not for the first time) how much David Pleat adds to a football broadcast. He actually 'analyzes' the strategy of each opponent at critical points during the contest in terms of their relative success or failure. Most commentators simply evaluate individual plays throughout the match, while Pleat puts these individual events into an overall context.

Unlike many, he is a very knowledgeable football insider who doesn't seem to have an axe to grind, nor does he cheer for any particular team. He simply calls the game as he sees it. I would call his style cerebral, and while it is very different in terms of delivery and self-aggrandizement, reminds me a lot of the great Howard Cosell.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I may or may not have heard David Pleat commentate on a match.

When I saw the match of the day highlights package of Hull Vs Man City was that his commentary?

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
blow up dolls floating around away section at the lane in the mid eighties and a rousing chorus of david pleat -he shags hookers !

he's friends with elton john
He writes him dirty lessons
he wants to get it on
but Eltons got his rent boys
and don't like David Pleat
So david pleat goes kerb crawling
and shagging in the street

thats as far as my mind lets me go -- happy days

pizza faced prozzie poker with questionable dress sense --- i mean brown desert boots pale blue farahs and a tan jacket ?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haggler said:
blow up dolls floating around away section at the lane in the mid eighties and a rousing chorus of david pleat -he shags hookers !

he's friends with elton john
He writes him dirty lessons
he wants to get it on
but Eltons got his rent boys
and don't like David Pleat
So david pleat goes kerb crawling
and shagging in the street

thats as far as my mind lets me go -- happy days

pizza faced prozzie poker with questionable dress sense --- i mean brown desert boots pale blue farahs and a tan jacket ?
Yeah, but I never have to actually look at the guy! :p

By the way, I'm talking as an analyst here (no pun intended). Tyler, John Champion and Ian Darke are my favorite play by play commentators.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agree David Pleat knows his stuff. Does anyone know who was doing special comments during the Stoke v Man Utd game. He was very wity and sounded a little like Ron Atkinson (surely it wasn't big Ron though)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
pleaty knows his stuff i just hate the annoying tone of his voice, sounds like a teacher who needs a slap...

good time guy though, with all the hookers....can't be beaten ( well not unless he pays extra)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beg to differ but....

I think he talks crap...

he states the bleeding obvious all the time...

Check out the way he "predicts" a substitution just before it happens... as he watches the player warming up and getting tracksuit off...

Also said this in a Utd Euro game recently.... along the lines of.....

"The Utd players a being cheered on by 60 or 70 thousand Mancunians.. some of them from Manchester" !!!

I kid you not.. just wished I recorded it!

All my opinion of course... and what do I know ;)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scottsati said:
pleaty knows his stuff i just hate the annoying tone of his voice, sounds like a teacher who needs a slap...

good time guy though, with all the hookers....can't be beaten ( well not unless he pays extra)
Hookers eh? I knew there was a reason I liked the guy... :D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
As the thread creator has said, David Pleat is not a commentator, he's the analyst so putting him in the same bracket as Martin Tyler, Clive Tyldesley doesn't exactly work out.

I don't actually like David Pleat, but obviously it's about opinions.

My favourite analyst is Davie Provan. Not many people will have heard of him I don't think, as he usually gets the lower profile Prem games to do along with Scotland/Scottish (Scottish Cup etc) games. He's unbiased and knows his stuff.

A bit off-topic here, but Henning Berg was working as a pundit on the Scotland-Norway game and I thought he was fantastic. His views were very interesting, and he was certainly a good pundit. I think he's going to make a great manager as well. He was manager Lyn Oslo and is moving to Lillestrom from the 1st January.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Clive Tidsley for me as well :) Anyone but Andy Gray he's not that bad of a commentator its just he commentates each year on FIFA (which I've played on since about 2001) and he annoys me so much.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
ksportz said:
I think he talks crap...

he states the bleeding obvious all the time...

Check out the way he "predicts" a substitution just before it happens... as he watches the player warming up and getting tracksuit off...

Also said this in a Utd Euro game recently.... along the lines of.....

"The Utd players a being cheered on by 60 or 70 thousand Mancunians.. some of them from Manchester" !!!

I kid you not.. just wished I recorded it!

All my opinion of course... and what do I know ;)
i like the cut of your jib sir :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts