Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Manchester United to tour Asia again in summer
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2009-01-14-2566334172_x.htm

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United will return to Asia this summer for a four-match tour that includes the club's first ever visit to Indonesia.

The Red Devils' seventh Asian tour since 1995 will also include stops in China, South Korea and Malaysia.

"Our tours to Asia are always special," chief executive David Gill said Wednesday. "The atmosphere generated by the supporters is amazing. The club enjoys unrivaled support across the continent and it is great to give those fans the opportunity to see their heroes in action in their own country."

The club will leave on July 16 for China, where details of the match have not yet been finalized. The team will then head to Seoul for a game at the World Cup stadium on July 20.

United will be in Jakarta to face an Indonesia Super League select side at the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium on July 24. United's final match will be against a Malaysian side at the Shah Alam Stadium or Bukit Jalil Stadium on July 26.


United claims more than half of its 333 million followers are located in Asia.

"This tour takes in some new areas, with a game in Malaysia, where we haven't played since 2001, and one in Indonesia, so it promises to provide some exciting new experiences," Gill said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Despite it will be a very hectic trip for them and tiring....i just cant help saying ..


GET IN!! I will definitely GO!!!!!! Malaysia here i come :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
28 Posts
Im no racist but......

It annoys me when a bunch of Chinese come over from China and come to united games.
i would want all of old trafford to be full of passionate english fans.
this just gets more Chinese to become united FANS.
the good bit about it is they will buy more Park Ji-Sung shirts.

I blame our poor start to the season on bad preparation.
South Africa?
Asia?
America?
Not a great challenge for the World Champions is it?
We need to be playing the likes of Real Madrid, Inter Milan etc.
Then we might be on form for the start of the season instead of dropping points early on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
First off, I wouldn't start a sentence with "I'm no racist" then start throwing around racial slurs, but that's just me...

Seoul, you say? I'm there!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
VivaRonaldo7 said:
Im no racist but......

It annoys me when a bunch of Chinese come over from China and come to united games.
i would want all of old trafford to be full of passionate english fans.
this just gets more Chinese to become united FANS.
the good bit about it is they will buy more Park Ji-Sung shirts.

I blame our poor start to the season on bad preparation.
South Africa?
Asia?
America?
Not a great challenge for the World Champions is it?
We need to be playing the likes of Real Madrid, Inter Milan etc.
Then we might be on form for the start of the season instead of dropping points early on
The term you used is a rascist term.

According to Manchester United, half of all United fans live in Asia - that's a lot and you should be a bit more respectful of the revenue and passion they generate for the club.

It should be a source of pride for you that Asians on the other side of the planet, spend millions of pounds to buy United merchandise and wake up at all hours of the night to follow the fortunes of Manchester United.

Also, Park Ji-Sung is Korean not Chinese.

We did iplay Juventus in pre season.

I've given you a few days off to realize that using racist terms is not on. The name of the club IS Manchester UNITED.
 

·
TROLOLOLOL
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
End of the day,Monkey talks,Asia talk very loud,we follow the money trail.Also the fans are so infatuated (sp) with our club,its good to get over there and make them go mental.Where else would you want a summer tour?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
All MUFC Care about is money and asia gives them that. No doubt many of these asian fans will be at OT next season drapped in United clothing and memrobilia taking pictures of there big day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Great News.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but Asia is a rapidly expanding global market and United, to our credit, noticed that long before the rest of the Premier League and got in there quick to build up the image of our brand. It's a testament to how good the business directive at our club really was, and remains to this day.

With the Premier League doing massive business on Asian television platforms, and recieving massive merchandising exposure across the more developed Asian states, it makes perfect sense for everybody in football to embrace the Asian market and welcome them into the English game.

It amuses me that some people seem to think that the Asians who support Manchester United aren't as passionate as the rest of us. I think these people are obviously not aware of culture in the Far East sometimes because a lot of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. become rabidly obsessed with something (like videogames, animé, or Manchester United) and it takes on almost cult-like incessant following. Some of them are almost frighteningly obsessed with our club!

At the end of the day, those who complain about the team pandering to the Asian fans aren't complaining when we sign new players in the transfer window funded, in part, by the retained earnings generated from merchandise and broadcast rights sales within Asia.

I'm delighted to see us travel to China, Korea and Malaysia again. Credit to Manchester United for organising this one for the seventh time.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
The response United get when they go on these tours is incredible. It's no surprise that they want to go back to Asia - the level of interest in United over there is phenomenal.

I really don't see a problem with doing it in pre-season. It's the mid-season trips to places like Saudi Arabia for testimonials/friendlies that I hope do not become a regular occurrence. These are unneeded distractions during the season imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
VivaRonaldo7 said:
Im no racist but......

It annoys me when a bunch of Chinese come over from China and come to united games.
i would want all of old trafford to be full of passionate english fans.
this just gets more Chinese to become united FANS.
the good bit about it is they will buy more Park Ji-Sung shirts.

I blame our poor start to the season on bad preparation.
South Africa?
Asia?
America?
Not a great challenge for the World Champions is it?
We need to be playing the likes of Real Madrid, Inter Milan etc.
Then we might be on form for the start of the season instead of dropping points early on


Look mate...Manchester United is no longer a Manchester Football Club in fact its now a Football Club from Manchester. I know that many local fans look down on fans outside of manchester, asian fans especially more probably because we mostly arent a season ticket holder, never went to matches and even if we do, we took pictures more than we sing. Fair enough. But in today's world, do we actually believe that Manchester United can be as huge as it is right now if only local lads support them? Already now many complaints of the high tickets prices they have to pay which i need to stress out here i totally agree,so how do we think the club will function without outside support especially in finances? The differences between Man Utd and other smaller club is the global support. Even Chelsea has started to organise trip overseas because these club realize that this is one of the major factor to help them be among the elite club competing not only on the field but behind it as well.

Insult the asian fans all you like but know one thing, no matter how you look at them, it just wont make you a bigger fan, why? Cause, like it or not, they spend as much if not more than you watching united the whole season just to watch ONE united match.


They annoys you off for not singing their heart out? Has it ever occurs to you that not all of them have such luxury as to invade forums and get to know any match goers to inform them how to behave while watching united? Yes they are ignorant but they need to get started and learn somewhere..as fella fans, i just think the local lads might be useful if they care to educate people like that instead of laugh and just point fingers at them for being a clown. Not everyone went on to forums to know all the lyrics to united song sadly and dont come to me and said these foreign fans took pictures like they are in the zoo cause i swear i know a few of the local lads who still do the same despite watching united every week. The thing i want to say here is, no one is a bigger fan from the other..no one has the right to question the passion others has for the club. If you happen to be a local fan, be thankful that you are soo near to the team and players and be thankful that you have that luxury not many of us foreign fans have. We didnt have all that luxury but yet it wont stop us from supporting the club and we didnt even asked for any credits. Shame all you know is to complaint about fans like us..cause that is all u can do...sadly it wont change anything. It is not our fault if the club wanted to organize such trips so dont push the blame on us. So the next time if you have the urge to make fun of us , asians how about think of a solution and proposed them to the club?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
IanDangerously said:
Great News.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but Asia is a rapidly expanding global market and United, to our credit, noticed that long before the rest of the Premier League and got in there quick to build up the image of our brand. It's a testament to how good the business directive at our club really was, and remains to this day.

With the Premier League doing massive business on Asian television platforms, and recieving massive merchandising exposure across the more developed Asian states, it makes perfect sense for everybody in football to embrace the Asian market and welcome them into the English game.

It amuses me that some people seem to think that the Asians who support Manchester United aren't as passionate as the rest of us. I think these people are obviously not aware of culture in the Far East sometimes because a lot of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. become rabidly obsessed with something (like videogames, animé, or Manchester United) and it takes on almost cult-like incessant following. Some of them are almost frighteningly obsessed with our club!

At the end of the day, those who complain about the team pandering to the Asian fans aren't complaining when we sign new players in the transfer window funded, in part, by the retained earnings generated from merchandise and broadcast rights sales within Asia.

I'm delighted to see us travel to China, Korea and Malaysia again. Credit to Manchester United for organising this one for the seventh time.

Warning - Business Student!:D

Great post and you are absolutely right, you can find Manchester United fans, who have been following United for over 30 years in Asia like one of my uncles.

Could you imagine what player United could afford WITHOUT the money from Asian fans or without that world-wide appeal?

I think the 13 year deals with Nike would not happen.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Anyone alightly worried about thse pre season tours? Its great that fans in Asia, S. Africa ect get to see Manutd play, but the last 2 seasons we've gone we have come back still lacking in match fitness.

Maybe its down the quality of opposition we're playing, but I think its an important 'problem'.

Hopefully we will be in a tournemant of some soughts afterwards like before 06/07 where we started brilliantly, unlike the last 2 seasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would love to see united stay here and do a pre- season in europe say, but to be fair without the cash from asain and the rest of the world we wouldn't be in the position we are in now , as the cash foreign markets bring in far exceeds what we now make at home.
its a pain but to be honest i'm not going to deny other fans the chance to see the club i love- thats small minded and pathetic. to be fair juventus was the fisrt pre season friendly i have been to in a long while and i wish i hadn't bothered, so i don't have a problem with them playing friendlies abroad.

as for foreign fans coming to the game its the way of the world we don't live in the ealy 1900's, over a period of time people have been supporting and travelling to see teams from places they don't live
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RedForceRising said:
Manchester United to tour Asia again in summer
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2009-01-14-2566334172_x.htm

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United will return to Asia this summer for a four-match tour that includes the club's first ever visit to Indonesia.

The Red Devils' seventh Asian tour since 1995 will also include stops in China, South Korea and Malaysia.

"Our tours to Asia are always special," chief executive David Gill said Wednesday. "The atmosphere generated by the supporters is amazing. The club enjoys unrivaled support across the continent and it is great to give those fans the opportunity to see their heroes in action in their own country."

The club will leave on July 16 for China, where details of the match have not yet been finalized. The team will then head to Seoul for a game at the World Cup stadium on July 20.

United will be in Jakarta to face an Indonesia Super League select side at the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium on July 24. United's final match will be against a Malaysian side at the Shah Alam Stadium or Bukit Jalil Stadium on July 26.


United claims more than half of its 333 million followers are located in Asia.

"This tour takes in some new areas, with a game in Malaysia, where we haven't played since 2001, and one in Indonesia, so it promises to provide some exciting new experiences," Gill said.
thanks for putting up the details, was in a rush so just started the thread....knew you be along any minute with all the details :)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top